Indiglo gauges for Saab 900 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Indiglo gauges for Saab 900

Dninty9
6th August 2002, 12:49 AM
I have found a company that will make Indiglo (Electro luminescence) gauges for Saabs if we can get 10 people that will buy them. I know that my gauges at night are very dim and I would love a set. If anyone else would like to get them let them know it only takes ten of us the price is really good 50.00 to 65.00 dollars for a set with the controls and everything .Brian

Click here for the web site (http://www.streetracerparts.com/index.htm)
http://www.streetracerparts.com/images/Legend/Legend.jpg

slob900
6th August 2002, 12:53 AM
I would possibly be interested but what year Saab are they for??? I have a 97 and those gauges shown aren't the same setup as mine.

Dninty9
6th August 2002, 12:56 AM
The gauges in the photo are not from a Saab they are from a Acura legend I just put it up so people could see kinda what they look like ...sorry for the confusion

slob900
6th August 2002, 12:59 AM
What year Saab were u going to try to have this company make they for? I have a 97 and might be interested!

Dninty9
6th August 2002, 01:19 AM
I was trying to get them for classic 900. But if you can get 10 people for the NG900 They will do them too...

kjj
6th August 2002, 11:12 AM
I'm interested if they'll fit my car.

I was thinking of doing this myself, and I even got a spare set of gauges, but I can't get them apart enough to do anything to the faces.

Smackrazor
6th August 2002, 12:15 PM
Those are so rice.

Turbosaab87
6th August 2002, 03:18 PM
But Just admit it Smackrazor - - - YOU WANT SOME!!!!!

Seriously though, yeah they are. They're still neat - may (maybe) be interested for my classic 900 - keep the info coming...

~ian
'89 Black SPG

93Saab900s
6th August 2002, 05:09 PM
im interested...

theyre white-faced during the day right?

Carl Hernandez
6th August 2002, 09:58 PM
Dude!
If you get them done lets get the reverse indiglow ones.
Those look awesome!
Could you have them done so they look like the stock c900 gauges because I like how they look, and I also like to know that when doing 85+ that I am not being economical :wink:.
I think I would be interested.

93Saab900s
6th August 2002, 10:58 PM
the reverse ones look a lot less like ricers, they look more like the ones they put in NG900s.

slob900
7th August 2002, 02:23 AM
I can't find a pic of the reverse gauges anywhere on that web site someone post a pic i wanna see em. Is anyone interested in those gauges for a GM900???

Dninty9
7th August 2002, 11:30 AM
Here is a PIC of reverse gauges. Brianhttp://www.itsrealstuff.com/ACCESSORIES/assets/images/gauge2a.JPG

Smackrazor
7th August 2002, 12:41 PM
The reverse ones are still rice but hey if they look anything like the passat gauges I want some :grin:

Also there is streetglow hottwirez which are flexible neon tubes you can cut to any size (dunno how it works without neon leaking out but it does) and I was thinking trimming my guages with it. Check them out at crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) if you're interested.

ZARS
7th August 2002, 06:16 PM
Definately interested if they can make them for an '88 classic 900 turbo.

Zars

93Saab900s
8th August 2002, 05:55 PM
for the reverse ones, do they light up the pointers as well? otherwise they will be harder to see. And, would i be able to get a non-turbo one while you other guys get turbo ones?

Bbqman218
11th August 2002, 03:06 AM
Ive seen the ones you have pictured for Toyotas on Ebay for $30.00 and on websites for around $85.00 How much do you think they'd end up being and are there any more people interested in a Non Turbo cluster?

weeezl
12th August 2002, 12:55 AM
I'm in on the Reverse Style for a Classic Saab 900 T. Get em to put up the car on the web site and Ill sign up.

-A

quittouchingme
12th August 2002, 03:45 AM
i was thinking of this project myself, never-the-less i am interested.
my speedo only goes up to 120 mph and i wanted the green electroluminescent lights for the gauges.
i won't check this often so please email me if you get enough people.

Khopesh
12th August 2002, 10:06 PM
Definitely interested. I have the non-turbo variety C900 however.

denmaster
13th August 2002, 12:05 AM
I'll certainly have some of those reverse gauges, but the variations of the various saab speedo dials could end up being a pain.

Theres clock, 7k and 8k tachos, 200, 220 and 240kph speedometers and finally the no boost gauge and boost gauge RHS block. Still, I'm keen :)

E-mail me to keep me updated - lg_AT_elji.org (_AT_ = @)

LG

bohtak
14th August 2002, 06:38 AM
Im in too for the reverse gauges. let me know the details.

Seph
14th August 2002, 10:42 AM
I'd be in for the reverse guages.

Seph

'88 900 SPG

erik
14th August 2002, 12:46 PM
Hello there, where can I find the website for the reverse indiglo dials. I am an ex-saab-er, now with a fiat coupe 20V turbo. I would love those on my car. Don't think that you'll be able to find ten people all wanting the same dials though! Too many models and variations, Best of luck though! Keep saabing! :wink:

fubar
14th August 2002, 02:37 PM
I'd be down with either the reverse gauges, or the indiglo ones. But for the time being, it is very hard for me to see my fuel and temp gauges because one of the the lights is out. Where can I find a bulb for the dash and how hard is it to replace it?

fastsaab
15th August 2002, 01:29 AM
I am very interrested in getting two of them. please let me know how it is going

thanks,
michael :D

Lui
16th August 2002, 08:19 PM
Fubar: you can find them at any auto parts store -- i.e. Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.

I'm interested in the reverse ones, too!

Lui

Smackrazor
16th August 2002, 09:10 PM
Yeah I'll take two of them also.

quittouchingme
17th August 2002, 02:35 AM
hey if smackrazor is interested then it's time to act on it.
i think that we have way more than ten peeps interested.
lets get the show on the road. how are you gonna combat everyones different wants though?

kjj
17th August 2002, 02:24 PM
I'll take a set of reverses.

I'm planning to get a proper boost gauge, so I don't really care if the stock one is on the new faces or not.

The clock is nice, but if that goes, I won't really mind either.

My speedometer goes up to 125 MPH and I wouldn't miss the KPH markings.

My tach goes to 7K. If it would still be accurate in that range, having an extra 1K way above redline wouldn't kill me.

Smackrazor
17th August 2002, 10:39 PM
You can add numbers to gauges but the thing is the gauge itself isn't calibrated to go that high so it wouldn't really be worth it.

kjj
17th August 2002, 11:45 PM
yeah, but I thought there were 7K and 8K variations. as long as the zero mark and the 7K mark are in the same places, I wouldn't mind a little extra red if it helped accomodate other people's cars

Ubipa
18th August 2002, 02:44 PM
I was reading the indiglo section on the website and they said they had a dual color option. Either you can have blue or green. Would the ones they'd make come in green? I'd be interested in two sets as long as the speedo is MPH. I don't care about the turbo/NA or 7k/8K, those can be replaced. So as long as the speed is in MPH and the color is green, count me in for two sets.

quittouchingme
18th August 2002, 02:49 PM
i am with ubipa on that one.

Smackrazor
18th August 2002, 03:44 PM
Actually, I'd prefer blue ones, but now thinking about it my friend had normal indigo gauges and the blue looked turquoise.

It might be easier to make a design, get it printed onto some sheet metal somewhere and then put blue LEDs or something like that behind them.

Ubipa
18th August 2002, 04:09 PM
Have you ever had a gauge set apart? It's very impractical to put LED's behind the gauge face. Plus the wiring would be a mess. Inaddition, it's very expensive to have metal or hard plastic painted on (100-200$) unless you know someone b/c you have to use special printing machines. Printers charge format and setup fee's.

I've actually gone to the hassle of sourcing parts and services to make the indiglo gauges, it's very expensive(200-300$ a set). I've also put hours into designing and calibrating the gauge faces. If you're not a business that can buy bulk EL sheet then prices are very high for the material and the DC->AC converter, plus printing charges are alot. 50-65$ is very reasonable! I don't know why I never contacted a commercially known company that makes indiglo gauges before. Good move dninty9.

Backlit gauges would be plausible w/ our cars, the dial just would have to be illuminated w/ the regular light (much like the older Toyota's backlit and overlit).

The rest of the controls on the c900's are green, why would you want blue? It would be very difficult to change the color of the rest of lights due to green plexiglass illuminators.

quittouchingme
18th August 2002, 09:21 PM
here is what i was doing, i took a set of gauges apart. and i broke one, so if you try taking the needles out. i suggests that you be prepaired to break one. email me before you try. but it would be easier to scan the faces, make the type of design you want, like a white face for example, and shine down the color led you want on them. far cheeper. and the gauge face being white practically the whole thing would be illuminated anyway.

still if you wanted to go the electroluminescent route, you can by the sheets cut it to you speck. before you can use it, it must be laminated some how.then make a stencil or something to spray the numbers on with. you would still need a scanned gauge face for a stencil i guess. after that, the electroluminescent lights need a dc to ac inverter (is that how you say it?) anyway the electroluminescent need ac power and you can by a small one at radioshack from what i've heard. i even wanted to put the el lights around the ac and heater controls.

there is one website that i saw, that gives you free tech support for el lights, even if you don't by there product. so search around.

but i don't think the guy that posted this subject is going to reply soon, and he didn't leave an email addy for us.

Dninty9
18th August 2002, 11:15 PM
IM still around, :wink: you have to email the web site not me when they get a show of interest for the gauges they will let us know what version they will make and the definite price ...Later Brian

Ubipa
19th August 2002, 04:53 AM
I hope I'm not treading on to Dninty9's turf but I contacted the company and talked to them about the gauges.

All who are interested in the regular indiglo gauges, a "buy in" has started. The gauges wil be for the 7k tach/clock, 125mhp speed, fuel/temp/boost gauge. The gauge faces have a dual color(blue or green) and an intensity adjustments that help balance the color. There are about 10ppl requesting the gauges that are not from this BB so I believe we might be able to get Turbo and non turbo gauges. You just have to email the company which model car you have. If you are interested in the purchase go to the website and buy in for the set. When I get my set, I'll create a DIY on how to install them. The sets are 49.99/pc, which is a great deal for better lighting and white gauges faces!
Click the link below and then click the buy in and follow the directions.
http://www.streetracerparts.com/buy_in_2color.htm

NLspiked02
19th August 2002, 04:29 PM
im new to this board and just seen the indiglo gauges. would be VERY interested. i have a 1987 900s non turbo. can we get them in the non turbo or only the turbo? how difficult are they to install?

1987 SAAB 900s 16v

Ubipa
19th August 2002, 04:58 PM
non turbo and turbo. Go to link: http://www.streetracerparts.com/buy_in_2color.htm
and follow the "buy in" instructions. Also, state that it is a non turbo.

Installation is tough but can be done by the normal person. When I receive mine I'll make up a DIY site for installation w/ pics.

kraia
22nd August 2002, 03:13 AM
I am very interested in getting some indiglo gauges. I have been trying to find some place to get something like that. Please get back to me asap so that I can order a pair for my Classic SPG. Thanks!!!

kraia
22nd August 2002, 03:35 AM
I just signed up for the Buy-in for my 88 SPG. I hope to be contacted soon.

c900
9th August 2006, 08:58 PM
Hi, wow this thread has been going for longer than I've owned Saab's (2003 I started!), but I was just searching today for existing sources of indiglo gauge face kits for c900's to fit to another of my Saab's, and I posted a message in the Saab C900 General Discussion Forum (http://www.classicsaab.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3) at my site (http://www.classicsaab.net) a short while ago containing the results of the searching. I figured that it would be of interest to most people with these cars since supply of indiglo gauge face kits for classic 900's is difficult to find so have a read and learn about my experience.

The only possible gotcha would be that the kits from MIMO (http://www.mimousa.com) (based in the US) is that they're designed to suit USA-type speedo's which are generally VDO W 1,008 gauges in the pre-facelift cars and at least when compared to the W 0,64 speedo's fitted to Australian C900's in the same era, the stop-pin position is different! That's why you'll see mention of how I was able to obtain an apparently very rare VDO W 0,6175 speedo which has the stop-pin in the right spot to match the USA-targetted speedo gauge face in the indiglo kit, and has almost (but not quite!) the correct gearing ratio to display the proper speed reading. Getting that speedo was quite a fluke at the time! 8-)

I've had that speedo and the indiglo gauge faces in the car for well over a year now and it shows the displayed speed as slightly higher (about 7 percent) than the actual speed, but that's probably a good thing with all the police speed radar units that operate here in Sydney!

I have never found another W 0,6175 speedo for sale, but I'm sure they're around. Getting the 1980's VDO mechanical speedo's as new parts is probably impossible now, unless someone knows of a magical source. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

nikezz86
10th August 2006, 11:14 AM
so theres really no way to mod to get a that ultra cool reverse indigo gauges from the MiMo site? Those gauges are sweet, and in a C900, it'll make the car's interior get a breath of 21st century air.