FMIC-nearly finished!!!!! (now completed!!!) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: FMIC-nearly finished!!!!! (now completed!!!)

tandino
4th August 2002, 01:48 PM
I started fitting the Volvo 700 series intercooler today, fitted it all up, made all the pipework up out of various pipes from a 900,9000 and Volvo.
Got all the pipes to join up nicely although eventually i think ill get them fabricated possibly at Longlife exhausts.
All ive got to do tomorrow is to somehow extend the actuator arm as its too short to reach the wastegate because ive rotated the turbo outlet on the T3 and now its slightly too short!!.
I really dont know why people use the 9000 intercooler on the 900 as the Volvo one is so much easier to fit in to the front of the 900 with no cutting of metal.
Ill hopefully get some pics up soon!

Pete.

Fan-TC
4th August 2002, 11:35 PM
Do you have air conditioning???

tandino
5th August 2002, 08:48 AM
Yes i do have A/C but the condensor is knackered so i have removed it for the moment but i trial fiited the Volvo intercooler before i removed the condensor some time ago and it still fitted in although it was a tiny bit lower, it now sits right up under the slam panel, when i get a new A/C condensor im going to try to move the condensor a little bit further back.
The only problem i had when the A/C condensor and the Volvo intercooler were both fitted under the slam panel was that when i closed the bonnet the safety catch (secondary catch) caught the top of the intercooler so you would have to make either a new one yourself or shorten the original somehow.
The only other problem is if you rotate the turbo housing as i have done is the space for the actuator is limited and you may have to lengthen the actuator arm.
As a temporary measure i have lengthened it using a stout piece of rubber hose and two jubilee clips but tomorrow i. shall hopefully get it fabricated.

Pete.

New parts since Oct '01-Engine,Turbo,9000 Clutch,Clutch Slave,Clutch Master,Gearbox,Power Steering Rack,Water Pump,Thermostat,Radiator,Brake Disc's & Pads,All Engine Mounts,Timing Chain, All Engine Gaskets.
If only everything was as reliable as a Saab

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tandino on Aug 5, 2002 3:59pm ]</font>

tandino
5th August 2002, 12:04 PM
All plumbed in now, all ive got to do tomorrow is fit the ***per up which may need a bit of a trim on the lower valance around the towing eyes.
Yee haaaa!!!!

Pete.

niko
5th August 2002, 03:01 PM
don't forget the pics !

tandino
6th August 2002, 05:34 PM
Just spent all afternoon tying up all the loose ends and its running, the ***pers back on and everything seems ok.
Ill give it a good roadtest tomorrow and hopefully get some photo's up- my computers cd-rom has come back to life!!!

Pete.

Fan-TC
7th August 2002, 01:02 AM
Ecellent- hope it goes well...

DrewBedelph
14th August 2002, 10:39 AM
Pete,

where are those pics??!! :-?

Perhaps this may insipe you to post them! :D

http://www.geocities.com/davenew.geo/Tim/tim_front1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/davenew.geo/Tim/tim_front2.jpg

Cheers,

Drew

tandino
17th August 2002, 06:35 AM
Im going to send Drew some pics this week so he can put them on his website, cheers again Drew!! :D

Pete.

DrewBedelph
18th August 2002, 12:33 PM
Pete,

when you're ready, Mate!!

http://saabpics.nailed.org/gallery/al***18 :D

Drew

tandino
18th August 2002, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the Gallery Drew, im finishing work tomorrow at 12pm so ill get busy with the camera then, ill even take the ***per off to get some better shots!!

Pete.

tandino
29th August 2002, 01:22 PM
There are now some more pics of the pipework available, i will try to get the front ***per off this weekend so you can see the 'naked' intercooler.

Pete.

http://saabpics.nailed.org/gallery/al***18

Johann F
29th August 2002, 01:52 PM
Looks like a real 8) job - have you driven it yet :-??

tandino
29th August 2002, 02:40 PM
Johaan,
Ive been driving it for the last couple of weeks or so, its going like a rocket!!, im back to running tweaked APC again for safety's sake but i get really consistent boost with no tail-off when it gets hot or after extended hard driving, these a litle bit more lag than before but that was always going to be the case but its not too bad, ive got everything up and running now MSD BTM,Distributor timing mod,Trent/Garret 0.5 bar actuator and the RRFPR but i really need to get it on the rollers to get it set up properly, the APC will let it hit 1.2-1.3 bar then it will hold 1 bar all the way to 5000rpm or so!
Are you coming to Kodak Johann?, you can see it for yourself!! :D

Pete.

Alanb
31st August 2002, 05:49 PM
Pete,

I was reading a book yesterday and it reminded me of you. It's called Self Help and was written by Samuel Smiles in 1872. It's an essay on how people can and should battle against lifes troubles no matter how bad they may seem. He uses the analogy of a man swimming against the tide. Eventually, he argues, those who persevere will succeed.

Good on you mate! :D

Alanb

tandino
17th September 2002, 06:10 AM
Just to let those who are interested know that i took the front ***per off at the weekend to take some proper shots of the pipework to the fmic, i also did a comparison shot of the surface area of the old 900 intercooler and the huge new Volvo one!!!!! :lol:

Pete.

Edited 'cause im a fool!!

Janne Selinummi
17th September 2002, 12:35 PM
Please take many pictures! :) I'm always interested in seeing other people's mods, especially when they are in the same category with mods that I have done myself.

And good luck with the car!

tom
17th September 2002, 01:25 PM
My plans to fit a 9k IC in my 900T fell through :(

I have find another cooler now. Maybe something of a SCANIA truck.