Difference in LPT and Areo Blowers [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Difference in LPT and Areo Blowers

Bails
1st July 2004, 03:45 AM
I'm just starting to research my fan options, and would like some info:
Is the LPT blower only oil cooled, if so then this may be the cause of some of the oil sludge issues.
Is the Areo turbo Water cooled, and if so how much trouble to fit the Areo Turbo to the LTP manifold ?

I was told by my local Tech that the only difference between LTP motor and Areo is Pistons and injectors, the areo having a hreater fuel flow, if the Areo turbo is fitted will the T7 compensate the lower fuel flow injectors by giving a longer open time, or would the injectors need changeing ?

All advice welcome.

frostgrey
1st July 2004, 11:01 AM
Lpt turbo is Garret gt17 and Aero turbo is MItsubishi TDO4-15t
I have AeroŽs turbo in -00 2.3 lpt and that work fine. Oil pipes are different,

Bails
1st July 2004, 07:29 PM
Lpt turbo is Garret gt17 and Aero turbo is MItsubishi TDO4-15t
I have AeroŽs turbo in -00 2.3 lpt and that work fine. Oil pipes are different,

Thanks! did the turbo bolt straight on except for the oil pipes ? Also is the Areo Turbo water cooled ?

frostgrey
4th July 2004, 03:16 PM
Yes. turbo bolt straight on. Aero turbo is also water cooled like as LPT, the water pipes are same size and high!

Bails
4th July 2004, 07:25 PM
Yes. turbo bolt straight on. Aero turbo is also water cooled like as LPT, the water pipes are same size and high!

Thanks I have the option to buy a second hand Areo turbo, form the Tech at my Service centre. He also said that he has the larger injectors, did you put the larger injectors on ? Or have you kept the same injectors ?

frostgrey
8th July 2004, 12:06 PM
No, i didn`t change injektors, because my saab is year 2000 model, and this are same injektors than Aero. I had also changed Aeros ECU.

Bails
8th July 2004, 06:49 PM
No, i didn`t change injektors, because my saab is year 2000 model, and this are same injektors than Aero. I had also changed Aeros ECU.

I have a 1998 are my injectors the same as 2000 Areo ? I have the 2000 areo ecu and boy does the car run good. I still have the Check engine light on but I know how to turn off with electronic fix so I'll get to that soon.

frostgrey
9th July 2004, 01:53 PM
I think that you have different injektors than Aero, but iŽnot 100% sure :roll: AeroŽs injektors is brown and lpt before 2000 are red, have you red?

I dont have any problem whit Check Engine light and car work and run very nice! :P

Bails
9th July 2004, 06:46 PM
I think that you have different injektors than Aero, but iŽnot 100% sure :roll: AeroŽs injektors is brown and lpt before 2000 are red, have you red?

I dont have any problem with Check Engine light and car work and run very nice! :P

I'll Check the Injector colour. My check engine is because my car is 1998 which only had 1 O2. But it still runs like an areo. i THINK THE aREO ecu is the best low cost power increase.
Thanks for your help !
also my other interest in MOtor bike, do you ride a motor bike ?

frostgrey
10th July 2004, 10:06 AM
I have my brother AeroŽ Ecu because he has SP steg 1. He gave me that free :D

I drive bike only my dreams :wink: . maybe in some day :) for real!!

Mattlach
14th July 2004, 02:56 PM
Correct me if I'm worng, but isnt it pretty bad to just move over the ECU from an Aero?

I can't remember the reasoning, but others told me if you were going to do a turbo swap to use a ECU that is made for your engine...

Bails
18th July 2004, 02:32 AM
Correct me if I'm worng, but isnt it pretty bad to just move over the ECU from an Aero?

I can't remember the reasoning, but others told me if you were going to do a turbo swap to use a ECU that is made for your engine...

I've done this and I'm very happy with the performance, also much less expensive than the other alternatives. I would think that the Areo ECU would be trying to get a boost level not possible from the LTP turbo, but I think that would be a problem up top , I don't run my car that fast, due to Australiamn road rules and police. I also don't think that trying to achiev more boost than is available from the smaller turbo would cause mechanical failure, however I'm prepared to stand corrected.

nphobb01
29th July 2004, 04:58 PM
So all you did was install the new turbo and ecu from an aero? Did you do any exhaust mods? How is everything running now? I might be interested in similar modifications if it proves to run well. Thanks for any info.

Bails
29th July 2004, 07:55 PM
So all you did was install the new turbo and ecu from an aero? Did you do any exhaust mods? How is everything running now? I might be interested in similar modifications if it proves to run well. Thanks for any info.

All I did so far was the ECU great imorivement, I've put year 2000 ECU in my 98 ltp, have engine check light on due to no rear O2 but that's no problem. If you have model after 2000 the rear o2 sensor will not be a problem as fitted to all models as I understand it.

frostgrey
31st July 2004, 12:31 PM
Exhaust are same Aero and LPT. Next i will change katalysator for racekat and make full exhaust for 3inch pipe :wink: . then i order Maptun steg4 ECU and my lpt has 280HP :evil:

williamsvr6
11th August 2004, 10:32 AM
Is there any way that I can replace the turbo on my 99 v6t with a bigger one, perhaps a aero unit? If so, what all would I have to do to make it work

Thanks

timmangMR2
17th September 2004, 03:43 AM
anyone know if the WRX TD-04 bolts up to an LPT?

dip
17th September 2004, 10:26 AM
anyone know if the WRX TD-04 bolts up to an LPT?
I don't believe it does. Besides, there's no point in replacing a turbo before investing 2-3 grand in other engine upgrades. And judging by the posts in the Lounge, you haven't done that yet. You'll be much better off starting with a ECU upgrade and intake/exhaust mods.