Cracked head [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Cracked head

MikeT
25th June 2004, 12:31 PM
I have a 95 9000 cs, and It overheated the other day. My mechanic said that I cracked the head, I looked on the internet and found a remanufactured head at www.cylinderheads.com for $525, my mechanic said he would charge $350 to install, and that the bottom of the motor may still explode when they install the new head. WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????

boxman
25th June 2004, 12:53 PM
why did your engine overheat :-?? i think it is unlikly that the bottom end will explode just because the head has been replaced, he is probably just giveing you worst case posabilities, so go for it :wink:

boxman

Marrk
25th June 2004, 01:30 PM
What sort of mileage has the engine done, has it been well serviced? because these engines go on for very high mileages and can take a lot of power abuse. Personally I'd use a different mechanic, he appears too pessimistic for my liking!

MikeT
25th June 2004, 11:09 PM
The car has 145k on it!

9000anni
26th June 2004, 04:54 PM
A lot of engines will start the bottom end knocking just by restoring lost compression within a couple of hundred miles of reconditioning a cylinder head.
Boxman is right though, SAAB engines are very strong,
an LPT producing 150 BHP can easily take an upgrade to +200 BHP without any additional work to the engine components. My friend is pushing 270BHP from his LPT, virtually doubling the original BHP !! This mod was carried out after the engine had already covered 120K.

If the mechanic does his job properly the bottom end of the engine will be just fine ;)

It may be worth while considering changing the timing chains at the same time, if they havn't already been done yet, as they have to come off anyway during the head change. Try to source the chains yourself and save a few Quid (sorry Dollars ) $$$ :)