Just got a turbo [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Just got a turbo

Smackrazor
26th July 2002, 01:59 AM
Well I just pulled a turbo today and payed $35/23. Garett T3 off an 83 900 with 240kmiles on the odometer. The blades still spin freely and look trouble free.

Anyway this probably needs a rebuild, but is there anyway to check? Also does anyone have a diagram for the T3 because I have no idea which hose goes where anymore (I didn't even buy the hoses I just riped the turbo out - and nearly my shoulder loosening the bolts on the manifold).

Fan-TC
26th July 2002, 03:59 AM
thats pretty cheap.....

that unit will not be a water cooled unit..

Itought u were talking (in another thread) about a 250hp build using a turbonetics turbo and external gate... What happened to that??

Smackrazor
26th July 2002, 03:32 PM
It actually was water cooled. It was an 8V engine and there was an injector right before the throttle body.

Anyway Janne said that the stock saab unit was good up to 1.2bar boost which is enough for now. If I want more I can just buy a turbonetics T3/4 hybrid with ceramic ball bearings later.

Janne Selinummi
26th July 2002, 08:26 PM
Smack, be careful with that turbo - it being that cheap and probably having seen many miles, it can't be in perfect nick anymore.
Push it to 1.2 bar of boost, it might work, but there's a chance it leaks oil. That ain't good, and after that, in no time, the turbo's gonna be dead.
You could get that unit fully rebuilt, though - and make some minor improvements to its flow rate; this way you can get a really efficient turbo unit, one that will be enough for about 230-240 hp.

Smackrazor
26th July 2002, 09:04 PM
Yeah I was planning on a rebuild. But still after $250 I will have a working turbo as opposed to spending $1500 on one.

conradFL
26th July 2002, 09:58 PM
Smackrazor, are you gonna make it a full-blown or run it like an LPT?

Smackrazor
27th July 2002, 01:48 AM
Probably LPT at first then once I switch the pistons out for T8 ones and grab myself an intercooler and waterinjection I'll make it full blown and get 230-250hp out of it. Oh and I need a new ECU I think. Do LPTs come with APCs or normal ECUs?

Janne Selinummi
27th July 2002, 05:49 AM
Some guy in Finland had made some measurements of the Saab Turbo pistons, and he came to the conclusion that the T8 APC pistons actually would give a higher compression ratio than the T16 ones, when used with the T16 head. The non-APC early T8 pistons would lower the ratio though.
If someone has the facts about the Turbo pistons, please let us all know! There have been so many different views to what kind of compression each piston/head combination would give.
Piston data, anyone?

Smackrazor
27th July 2002, 03:43 PM
Back of the manual should have that info, just need someone with an 8 valve N/A and T to tell us.

Janne Selinummi
28th July 2002, 07:17 AM
Err... Actually, someone with T8 non-APC and someone with T8 APC pistons. And these should both be compared to the T16 pistons.
You need to get Turbo pistons for your car, N/A pistons won't be strong enough.

Smackrazor
28th July 2002, 04:20 PM
Oh ok. The Saab I got the turbo out of had APC system written on the back... Hmm.

Janne Selinummi
28th July 2002, 08:30 PM
Well, even if it's an APC Turbo, we should get the correct piston information somewhere.
And even if the APC Turbo pistons would give a higher comp. ratio than the T16 pistons, there are still possibilities to make the comp.ratio lower.
A friend of mine soved this by machining some metal off the top of the pistons, plus grinding the combustion chambers to lower thr comp.ratio slightly.
Then again, a ratio of 9.5 to 1 could still be possible to make perform well in a high-performance turbo application: Fit a multi-stage water injection, and the problem is solved.

88spg
28th July 2002, 09:07 PM
smackrazor,

it would have been easier to just buy a turbo model instead of trying to turn an S into one.
the turbo you pulled off the 83 900 is not a water cooled garrett t3, just oil cooled. 1988 was the year they started water cooled t3's.
if you do decide to add a turbo you will need a trunkload of parts to get it into the 200 hp range safely without ruining the whole project.
do get waterinjection, led knock light, sophisticated air/fuel gauge, front mount intercooler etc. etc. etc. if you plan on achieving your goal. but dont be surprised if you have to spend some time at a dyno to get it running right with LH2.4 ECU and a RRFPR and 30# injectors.

the optimum setup would be to have LH2.2 from >'89 turbos, '85 cams, RRFPR, 30# injectors, custom fabricated intercooler with fans, 3" downpipe. if you go ball bearing turbo then you may be able to find one big enough to get a 4" downpipe.
its all how much money you have. dont expect anymore than 310 hp out of B202(2.1l engine in your case). 2.3l is a different story!!! good luck!

Smackrazor
28th July 2002, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure it would have been easier considering the things I have to install. A haltec F9a is about $1500 and does all the stuff you need. Oil cooled shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. Plumbing might be a bit of a pain but I'm willing to do it.

Smackrazor
1st August 2002, 09:32 PM
1980 Turbo specs:

Compression is 7.2:1 or 9.25:1 if it has a Cat.

Haven't found APC Turbo specs from an 8 valver yet.