tires [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: tires

93Saab900s
25th July 2002, 11:36 PM
ok, tread on my michelins is gettin low. Time to get some new tires.

What tires u recommend? Im on stock rims and im looking for normal 900 size (185/65/R15).

I was looking at Yokohomas, Dunlops, and bridgestones mainly. I wanted some Pirellis, but i have heard bad things about them.

Carl Hernandez
26th July 2002, 12:44 AM
Pirellis are good although a bit soft.
Tread feels good on the road but soon you will be buying another set for the car.
Ive currently got Regul Challenger Sports on my car and the are nice.
They grip the road well when taking sharp turns @ 50mph and also have a long tread life.
One thing that is kinda bad is that they look like they should be on a rally car.
Oh well.

slob900
26th July 2002, 02:04 AM
My tires that i just bought are Sumitomo HTR+ These tires are great!!! I'm not sure if they carry that size so you'll have to check on that! But they have lots of great reviews and even my low profile tires ride nicely, quietly, and handle great!

my kraia
26th July 2002, 03:01 AM
I just fitted same size yokohamas on my 88' spg. They handle pretty good, and are pretty solid in the turns. The tread is excellent on them and the wear on them has been great so far.

Ken
26th July 2002, 08:15 AM
Bridgestone re88.
Very strong sidewall so very precise steering.
Good wear.
Excellent wet weater grip.
Reasonable price.
Always do excellently in reviews.
Not very trendy tread pattern but I'm only interested in ability (same reason I own a 900 I suppose)

Cheers

Ken

93Saab900s
26th July 2002, 05:55 PM
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-07-26 04:44, Carl Hernandez wrote:
Pirellis are good although a bit soft.
Tread feels good on the road but soon you will be buying another set for the car.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly what i have heard...Many people tell me they blow them very often. I thought with the 50,000 guarantee that would be good, but then again i dont wanna be changing tires all the time.

Im looking into all-season tires too, if that makes any difference in ur recommendations.

my kraia
27th July 2002, 05:55 AM
Pirellis also need to be balanced alot. Being a softer tire, their weight gets messed up as tread wears down. I have some on my BMW and they need to be balanced every other month or so, and I don't do anything harsh to them.

jim_mcghee
28th July 2002, 05:08 PM
hi
I have Pirreli P6000s
and I like them, really good in the wet.
Notice alot of expensive acrs with them too.

Alwyn678
13th August 2002, 12:18 PM
I run BFG's.....Great tire good price....I use and oversize tire 225 55 15.......with a V-rating

fubar
14th August 2002, 02:42 PM
I just fit on some Nokia Hakkapeliita's.. great tires, and they cost about $70 a piece. I haven't had any problems with them slipping in the rain, but have yet to try them out in the snow.

NLspiked02
27th August 2002, 11:24 PM
i got bridgestone RE950. they are one step off their "Poll Possition" tires which is their best. a little expensive $500 for all 4 but im VERY happy. i got the 185 65 15. shoulda got the 225 but i wanted the good tread wear cuz of bein in school. i would recommend them.

Smackrazor
28th August 2002, 12:51 AM
Kumhos of some sort. They are designed for track (they are softer) but they give you a lot more traction and are fairly cheap.

Homer
28th August 2002, 11:14 AM

Homer
28th August 2002, 11:14 AM
Might want to look into Falken. Their perf model is the Azenis. They're pretty popular in autocross circles from what I've heard - good handling for good price. I put some of their milder tires (Zieks) on my daily driver (not a Saab) and they seem to handle very well.
-Homer