Additional 20hp (250hp) for 9/5 Aero vs Viggen 230hp?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Additional 20hp (250hp) for 9/5 Aero vs Viggen 230hp??

jperk
16th June 2004, 12:02 PM
Just curious if anyone knows what Saab did to the the 2.3L HO motor on the Saab 9-5 for 2003/04 to get it to 250hp, up from the 230 hp in the '00-'02 Viggens (230 hp)? To my knowledge they are essentially the same motor with the same fuel/ignition system (T7).

Thanks!!
Jason

dip
16th June 2004, 12:07 PM
I heard it was a marketing decision -- it reaches 250 while on overboost, so they changed the power rating. Can Dr Boost clarify this maybe?

jperk
16th June 2004, 12:14 PM
I heard it was a marketing decision -- it reaches 250 while on overboost, so they changed the power rating. Can Dr Boost clarify this maybe?

Thanks for the info. I'd like a little more detail as to when/what conditions the over boost occurs and for how long it it maintained.

Thanks!!
Jason

dip
16th June 2004, 12:54 PM
It should be in your manual.

It allows for 20 seconds of additional boost at hard acceleration, which brings the max torque to 370 Nm. Then is has to cool off for a bit, and during this period the overboost is temporarily disabled. This might not sound like much, but 20 seconds of WOT is plenty to break the speed laws of any country ;)

jperk
16th June 2004, 01:31 PM
It should be in your manual.

It allows for 20 seconds of additional boost at hard acceleration, which brings the max torque to 370 Nm. Then is has to cool off for a bit, and during this period the overboost is temporarily disabled. This might not sound like much, but 20 seconds of WOT is plenty to break the speed laws of any contry ;)

Thanks for the info!! I'll check my manual for this info. Saab marketing is very sneaky seeing they desided to hold off to make it look like updates were made to the engine that give it the additional hp/.

moronputz
16th June 2004, 07:19 PM
The basic engine is the same but the actual computer was changed. Also from memory the Aero from 2002 on has an inlet air temperature sensor (added to others from 2001) whcih when used by the new computer programming gave a little more HP.

The overboost only works at lower engine speeds and boosts out the torque curve (and mid-range HP). It does not affect the top end HP and therefore does not increase maximum HP.

Fast_Ed
3rd September 2004, 03:56 PM
Wow! This means that the Viggen actually makes 273 lb-ft of torque is some situations. I wonder why they underrated teh Viggen so heavily?? They advertised it as 230hp/258lb-ft, but I've heard numbers as high as 250hp and now 273 lb-ft... NICE