Garrett v Mitsu turbochargers - again!!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Garrett v Mitsu turbochargers - again!!!

DrewBedelph
24-07-02, 09:57 AM
Okay, here's my question!!

My car is currently running the stock Garrett turbo unit. However, I have recently purchased a later complete low-km engine (too good to refuse! :smile:) with the Te-05 Mitsu turbocharger fitted.

Which unit is more 'driveable'?? Even though the Mitsu unit reputedly spools up faster, what about at higher RPM's - is the Garrett unit better in this regard?? Or is the Garrett unit completely inferior to the Te-05??

Drew

Johann F
24-07-02, 11:43 AM
Having owned both - I would never go back to the Garrett - the ability to produce power below 2000rpm far outweighs the minimal gains at the top end of the rev range that the Garrett can produce.

tandino
24-07-02, 01:43 PM
If you asked me the same question 2 months ago i would have agreed with Johann unanimously but having rebuilt my Garret T3 after the Mitsubishi oil seals began to go,im now hooked on the Garret again, whether this is due to the rebuild on it i dont know as i can now get full orange on the boost gauge (about 0.7bar) at 2000rpm.
Whilst i was rebuilding the Garret i took the lip out of the intake to smooth the airflow in, i dont know whether this helps much but it feels completely different to how it used to.
Im also putting a 9k intercooler in very soon and with the Garret i can turn the compressor outlet through 180 degrees very easily- something which is alot harder on the Mitsubishi.
Why not spend a weekend swapping the turbo's over?, i can swap them in around 1 1/2 hours if all goes well!, then you can really see what you like best!

Pete.

DrewBedelph
24-07-02, 09:00 PM
Pete,

Thanks for that,

have you still got the Mitsu unit handy?? :smile:

Drew

Fan-TC
25-07-02, 01:12 AM
Really depends on the boost levels you want to run....

big boost and garret is the best option...
low boost mitsu sounds like the go...

Also I would imagine (if anybody has experience please step in here) that you will acheive better fuel economy with the garrett due to less often under boost conditions...
also you have to work the car harder for good boost with the garrett, it will be harder to catch yourself out breaking the speed limit without realising it...

Johann F
25-07-02, 04:37 AM
When I switched to a Mitsu car MPG did fall a bit for normal round time driving - you are as you say actualy using the turbo in normal driving but it could also be because it also has the Lucas FI??.In the long M-way trips it is just the same as with the Garret.
What you don't get with the Mitsubishi is the sudden boost surge at the mid 2krpm -the Mitsu is much more progressive but also it's always 'on tap' which means you don't get ccaught out when you suddenly need power.

Nuts
02-08-02, 08:43 AM
I've had both the Mitsu & the Garrett turbochargers.

I would definately not go back to the Mitsu unit.

The Garrett can run higher levels of boost and sounds excellent(I like engine sounds!). The Mitsu, although having a quicker spool up time, is virtually silent in comparison, and is not well suited to higher than standard levels of boost.

Also a bit of lag is fun! :grin:

I think it therefore depends on the application - i.e. what do you want from your car and how you'd like it to drive.