LPT tweakable? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: LPT tweakable?

Paco
23rd July 2002, 09:11 AM
Time to replace the old girl, methinks, and I've seen some reasonably priced lpt aeros about. Can they be affordably tweaked or should I just search for that perfect late apc car that everyone else is looking for? I would replace an exhaust anyway but would like approx. 200 bhp. which is presumably easy to acheive from an apc car.
What do I do? All advice welcome and gratefully rec'd!

Fred
23rd July 2002, 02:51 PM
LPT's should have had an easier life than the full blown so make a good buy.
Easy to convert to full blown, just need the intercooler and APC system from your existing car and you're there. Everything else is the same except maybe final drive ratio.

Janne Selinummi
23rd July 2002, 03:45 PM
And both the APC and IC you can get cheaply from a breaker's yard or similar.
Although it might be worthwhile to look at the possibility of getting a FMIC if you are installing an IC anyway...

Johann F
24th July 2002, 03:48 AM
FMIC's are a fairly major job to fit properly and the resultant increase in lag from the extra intake length will take the edge off initial performance and the quick spool-up characteristics of the Mitsubishi turbo.

Paco
24th July 2002, 05:36 AM
Hmm... ok, sounds good, thanks. Are the necessary sockets in the lpt wiring loom to plug the apc straight in? I reckon my limited engineering abilities could extend to plumbing in the IC ( I can do nuts and bolts...) I would presumably not have a boost guage, which would give an excuse to fit one the size of a frisbee on top of the dash.. :wink:
Would I then be able to perform the apc tweak, if I've got the Mitsu turbo?

Johann F
24th July 2002, 06:06 AM
Not sure about the wiring? - but from a manufacturers point of view it would have made sense to not have different looms?
You can easily replace the right hand instrument cluster with one from a turbo model - (check scrap yards) once you remove the display cluster. Yes the Red box tweak works with the Mitsubishi turbo - It was designed around it I think as the later cat non S cars came with only 160bhp and this upgrade gave you 185bhp. I still reckon though it may be better getting an FTP if you can find a good one - the price difference isn't that big and you do get the higher gear ratio and cruise control as well as not having to do the DIY to convert it.

Paco
24th July 2002, 10:01 AM
Good point, thanks Johann. I had my head turned by a rather neat looking metallic red one on autotrader, but there's no way I can get to it in time. I'm off to Sweden this w/e (not Saab-ing!). I know it makes sense to wait for the "right" car-but it's so hard!!!! I'll keep looking. All the black 900 Carlssons seem to have disappeared, just as I get my wallet out!

Johann F
24th July 2002, 12:53 PM
Forget Carlsson's - definatley past their best by now as they are likely to have been in the hands of several owners who've driven 'enthusiasticaly'!
Best bet is a late Mitsubish Turboed 'ordinary' T16 - they only had 160bhp so wear and tear will be less - until you unleash it's potential via the APC red box mod! Apart from the Wheels and bodykit they are the same as the Aero/Turbo S.

Paco
24th July 2002, 01:02 PM
I like the logic, Fred & Johann! Will keep you posted! Shame my trip to Sweden is nowhere near Speedparts, could have done some shopping...

tandino
24th July 2002, 02:33 PM
I thought that the 'Sports Suspension' only came on the T16S and Aero models?

Pete.

Fred
24th July 2002, 03:04 PM
APC is a different wiring loom, but it doesn't connect to much of the existing stuff(from memory it only needs an ignition signal) so transplant doesn't look too hard. There was a site somewhere dedicated to fitting Saab APC to Volvo', but it looks to be off air.
LPT has the front and rear roll bars, so only needs springs and shocks to get the full sport setup.

Janne Selinummi
24th July 2002, 08:46 PM
Tandino, at least here the sports suspension was a factory option, so you could order it to any c900 when buyin new. Then there was also a heavy-duty spring kit, which was designed for better load-carrying capacity (stiffer than standard, but no lowering).

bohtak
25th July 2002, 04:22 AM
does the LPT 4 door come with the anti rolls too?

Johann F
25th July 2002, 05:58 AM
Depends on the year for 'sports suspension' -my 91 came with fat shocks and roll bars but the springs had more coils up front than the sport springs. Also front wheel alignment was slightly higher tolleranced with the S. All academic as whatever it came with and was set up to originaly - they will be well shot after 10 years and you will have to replace them anyway to get descent handling -and the choice is yours! As for roll bars - many people (myself included) think that unless you are on the very smoothest tarmac road a C900 with a good set of matched shocks and springs handles better without them. Why try to link that wonderfull double wishbone setup at the front. As soon as you get on to a slightly rough road handling is much more to do with keeping as much contact as possible rather than controling roll.

Eric van Spelde
25th July 2002, 12:17 PM
Which brings us to the ultimate enthusiast's c900 set up - stock T16S roll bar at the rear, none at the front!! BTDT :smile:

Happy Saabing,
Eric
http://www.turboteameurope.com

Johann F
25th July 2002, 03:59 PM
Yes Eric - keeping or fitting only the rear is even better - the turn-in on my old T16 was much better like this. You can get improvements by reshimming the front upper A arms but it's difficult and expensive.