"Sport" Airfilter required? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: "Sport" Airfilter required?

Mattlach
1st June 2004, 05:14 PM
hey.

I got my BSR stage one PPC not too long ago and I was just about to install it.

I'm not sure whether or not to run out and buy an air filter though. Are these really necessary in combination with the ECU?

I can't help but think that so called "sport" air filters like K&N and the like a little more than fraud.

I can't imagine that the stock air filter is so restrictive that it would rob the car of anything but negligible power.

I'd appreciate peoples opinions though.

--Matt

Simon
1st June 2004, 05:54 PM
I didn't notice any major difference when I first fitted my ITG apart from the fact it seemed to rev more freely, but since I guess the ECU has 'adapted' again it definetely feels a bit quicker, more urgent if that's the right word?

Shiston
1st June 2004, 07:35 PM
Yeah I would go with the ITG filter as well. That's what I'll be doing when I get round to it (and the money).

Mattlach
1st June 2004, 07:41 PM
Yeah I would go with the ITG filter as well. That's what I'll be doing when I get round to it (and the money).

Is this ITG filter a special brand or something? I was considering just picking up a K&N at Autozone or something.

Simon
1st June 2004, 07:51 PM
ITG filters are foam based rather than cotton based and so are more efficient.

Mattlach
1st June 2004, 08:42 PM
ITG filters are foam based rather than cotton based and so are more efficient.

Ahh.

is this some sort of very specialized part, or will they have it in my local parts store?

Thanks,
Matt

Simon
2nd June 2004, 04:46 AM
No, you will have to find a retailer of ITG filters, such as of course www.partsforsaabs.com

XAAMOTTOMAAX
4th June 2004, 09:33 PM
There are mixed opinions regarding the air filters. Some people feel the oil in an oiled filter can cause problems with the air mass meter. I have also heard the air filter is not a major area of improvement. In order to get any real intake benefit the entire air box intake muffler and snorkel pipe would need to be removed as well as a larger intake pipe going to the turbo. I did the air box removal on my previous car and it was an obvious improvement while the air filter (JR) housed in place of the stock filter did not make as big of an improvement. It's hard to say really. I would go ahead and use one mainly because that is what the program calls for and how it was designed to be used.