head gasket question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: head gasket question

Pete Gossett
18-07-02, 11:13 AM
Well, it looks like I'll soon be dragging home one, if not two dead 900 turbos - both with apparent headgasket failures - with the intention of trying to make one Hot-Rod-Saab.

So, I was wondering, with the apparent frequency of headgasket failures, has anyone tried o-ringing the head & block?

87SPGIN
18-07-02, 11:48 PM
nope that is news to me never heard of it i have done two head gaskets now and well they were a blast yeah NO the first was a learning experience but it turned out well the second was an experiment to see what worked, i tried the copper gasket don't ever buy one!!!!it gave me so much trouble i hated it but anyhow the saab el-ring gasket has done wonders for many infact most turbo heads running above 20psi are still on stock gasket or OEM gasket equivilent but u should read my story on here:
http://saab-900.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3816&forum=6&1
Its the "ring ring to melted piston" one in this section

Janne Selinummi
19-07-02, 04:34 AM
I will be O-ringing my block in the future, but that's not going to happen very soon...
It's just a precaution for me, as I intend to chase the 400 hp barrier with a T16 lump.

Pete Gossett
19-07-02, 08:34 AM
87SPGIN, what is the "saab el-ring" gasket you're reffering to?

Janne Selinummi, how does the transmission cope with that much HP? Are there any upgrades you can do? I've read the '89 & up transmissions were a better design, but can they handle much more HP?

Thanks!
Pete

87SPGIN
19-07-02, 11:40 PM
well its basically just a reinforced ring around each cyl it is very similar to stock gasket just a better design from what i understand

Janne Selinummi
20-07-02, 08:30 AM
Pete, the stock transmission can't cope with that kind of power and torque, even if it is of the later, stronger type.
There's a company in Sweden that specializes in building custom transmissions for Saab, and mainly the c900 at that. It's called Eriksson Transmission Technic. With prices ranging between 500 to 5000 euros, you can specify what your requirements are, and they do what you ask. You can get a fully re-built OE box with strenghtened bearings, or at the other end, a full-on racing dog box with all the internals strenghtened.
I will be getting a heavy-duty 4-speed box with conventional shifting, and mate that to a racing-spec copper-plated clutch. It'll take some time before I get there though...