Question about tires/wheels [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Question about tires/wheels

serencavalier
28-05-04, 10:20 PM
Hello everyone...
I own a 2000 9-5 SE with the stock 16 inch wheels/tires. I have been thinking about changing these to 17inch wheels/tires, particularily of this design: [/img]

My questions is, what is all this talk about lowering, shocks, springs, kits etc?? What are the purposes, affects, pros and cons of these mods?? If someone would be kind enough to help me out I would be very greatful.
Take care everyone.

dip
28-05-04, 10:47 PM
You haven't indicated where are you planning to purchase the rims, but if you're buying new from Saab, you might want to consider getting them directly from Ronal USA (http://www.ronalusa.com/) -- their price used to be lower than the official MSRP in the Saab Catalog. (http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/category.asp?catalog_name=Saab+Catalog&category_name=Drive9395category:Wheels&Page=1)

The primary purpose of suspension and wheel upgrades is improving the handling characteristics of your car. Many people believe it also enhances the looks. If you do a search on this forum, you will find numerous posts about suspension upgrades members did on their cars, their impressions, as well as recommended brands and resellers.

JonV
31-05-04, 03:07 PM
If your considering Ronal Rims, try www.saabsite.com I just picked up a set, $10 ea. less expensive than from Ronal Direct and the same shipping.

JV

serencavalier
31-05-04, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
I didnt know my standard 16 inch wheels were over $300 bucks each, so i might as well save them. As for the shocks and stuff, I have been looking around the forums and basically people talk about it with the understanding that everyone also know what they mean. I am still confused as to how changing these parts will improve performance.
Thanks..

DriverEd
01-06-04, 01:01 PM
I'll attempt to answer your suspension question. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about anything...

Shocks and springs are designed to absorb bumps and undulations in the road. Essentially, they "cushion" your ride. When you turn a corner, the weight of the car shifts to the outside wheels and loads up the supsension on that side. If your car has soft suspension, then the car body rolls to that side. Too much body roll is a negative handling characteristic.

When folks upgrade their suspension, they are getting a firmer suspension. Firmer suspension means that the car will be more level while cornering, thereby reducing body roll. This improves traction and the overall sportiness of the car.

Incindentally, these sportier suspensions also tend to lower the car's ride height, which lowers the center of gravity, making the car more stable when cornering.

Straight line performance can also improve with firmer suspension because there will be less compression of the rear springs/shocks under hard acceleration, thereby keeping a bit more weight on the front tires.

There's a very very simplified answer. It's much more complicated than that, but you get the jist.