Saab Enduro - beauty or beast?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab Enduro - beauty or beast??

DrewBedelph
17th July 2002, 10:43 AM
Form your own opinion!! :smile:

http://saabpics.nailed.org/gallery/Troll

Was the Enduro offered anywhere outside of Australia??

Cheers,

Drew
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/Enduro_LHS_TQ_rear.jpg

Simon
17th July 2002, 11:13 AM
More about it here.....

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0019/P_1/article.html

Simon.

V.J.S
17th July 2002, 02:26 PM
I'd say more of a beast than a beauty...mostly 'cause of the hideous wheelwell arc sideskirts (or whatever they're called...).

Matty
17th July 2002, 03:12 PM
I bet that saab could drive in second gear down the quarter mile and still blow my car out of the water...............nice car though

93Saab900s
17th July 2002, 05:48 PM
I bet that saab could drive in second gear down the quarter mile and still blow my car out of the water...............nice car though
nice car tho?

u just gave it a huge complement.

that is a nice car...

Turbosaab87
17th July 2002, 10:53 PM
I'd Say both beauty and beast. Beauty if you're in it,

Beast if you're next to it. (driving of course...)

Ian

Smackrazor
18th July 2002, 12:22 AM
Hmm... concept is nice but I'd prefer wheel arch flares which are less angular.

Janne Selinummi
18th July 2002, 12:54 AM
I find that the angular wheel arches suit the early c900 quite well IMO. They go with the angular overall styling and add a bit of agressiveness over the more commonly used rounded arches.

No way I would modify my car to look like that though... :smile: Something understated, sleek but positively muscular would be called for in my case.

Paco
18th July 2002, 05:40 AM
I want one. No two ways about it. Wife has a wide arch Mitsubishi Starion so I need BIG arches...! I've never heard of these Enduros before, time to go hunting...

Janne Selinummi
18th July 2002, 06:04 AM
Wasn't the 900 Enduro an Australian special?
...And not sold in any other market?

DrewBedelph
18th July 2002, 09:22 AM
Janne,

Yes, I'm pretty sure they were Australia only! But why?? Why didn't Saab Sweden sell it's most radical model ever in Europe or elsewhere?? Who knows!!?? :smile:

Drew

Matty
18th July 2002, 09:41 AM
nice car tho?
u just gave it a huge complement.
that is a nice car...
Actually, no offense though, the first part of my message was in more of a tone of anger, saying that that car is probably about 10x fast then my car, suggesting that i was maybe a litte pissed off about that, maybe even jealous. But then, i end off complimenting it by saying, but it is a nice car though. So thank you for your sarcastic attempt to correct my message, but not necessary. Once again, no offence

Paco
18th July 2002, 10:55 AM
Hmm it appears so, a brief search has shown none for sale elsewhere in the world, I am to be left "narrow"!
I don't suppose the Arches are available anywhere?
Thing is it looks like a 500bhp fire breathing monster but has only stock 175 bhp, presumably higher rolling resistance and worse drag, so therefore slower than stock? Prove me wrong and depress me further, why don't you.

Paco
18th July 2002, 10:59 AM
***. 17 psi boost. and they only made 12. ***.

GaryFar
18th July 2002, 11:14 AM
Drew, that is a confirmed beaut!
I didnt even know they existed. Thanks for sending it in. Also thanks to Simon for the excellent link.
I dont know if I would have the front to drive one but it looks great. Please send one.
Happy Saabing Mates!

Gary Far T16S :smile:

DrewBedelph
18th July 2002, 11:20 AM
Gary,

you'll be pleased to know the Enduro was also fitted with water injection standard. It wasn't even an optional accessory on any other 900's :sad:
Come to think of it, how many cars even in 2002 have standard water injection for the turbo!!!!???? 20 years ahead of it's time!!

Cheers,

Drew

Janne Selinummi
18th July 2002, 11:50 AM
According to water injection manufacturers, quite many modern turbo cars have water injection as standard.

Drew, there was an optional water injection system for Saab 99T and 900 T8 - an original factory extra. It was a low pressure system, and the nozzle was placed before the compressor wheel rather than after it - the spinning compressor blades then turned the water spray into a fine mist.
Because of the design of this system, it could not be used in IC-equipped Saabs, and thus it was only available for the early cars. The mist would concentrate back to water drops in the IC core, which would lead to irregular spurting of water from the IC to the intake. This makes the water spray inefficient and uncontrollable, thus only available fot non-IC-equipped cars. The kit also included a recirculating dump valve, which was also used to do the wastegate's job - the wastegate arm was shortened so much that with full gas, it would have produced more than 1.5 bar of boost; the excess boost pressure was then dumped by the recirc dump valve, and the wastegate was only allowed to open slightly, and at very high load, to protect the turbocharger. The system had information lights for the dashboard as well - these told when the system was active, and warned if water pressure was low.
I remember the system was also sold as a retro-fit package, but not for may years now.
I guy I know used this factory system in his 900 T8, and was able to get 1.2 bar constant boost with no knock what so ever... Cool, huh? :smile:

Khopesh
19th July 2002, 02:15 PM
I'm coming in a bit late on this one, but my god what was Saab thinking? That's a face only a mother could love. Looks like a bad prop from a 80s sci-fi movie.

Fan-TC
19th July 2002, 11:09 PM
Really only 12 were made???

I thought it was a few more than that...

Having have had the priviledge of seeing them in the flesh itreally is an enthuisiasts car. the styling is a bit 'awkward' and the ones (have seen 2) has slight body damage (parking dints and such) and quite poor paint(going on for 22 years old, understandable). Only a saab nut would like it.

My personal opinion is 'I want one'

Marko A
22nd July 2002, 03:53 PM
Cheers Drew for the great topic!

The car really is a one beauty and the beast in the same package.It just depends on the way you look at it.

But more seriously, does anyone know if/how many of those cars still exist? It would be really cool to collect all the possible information of this very special model here in this site.
Hey, let´s put up a campaign for it, what do you say?

And more about the water injection, it was first used on a Saab900 Turbo, James bond model (and even before that in 900Racing Turbo with 250bhp in seventies). About the same time there was "S" package for the turbo models, kinda like predecessor of the Aero if you like.Named Turbo S with water injection and boost up to ~1 bar +some other additional extras.
They were sold around 81-82 (?) at least in Finland and in Sweden, could be in somewhere else, but these are the only ones that I´ve ever heard of.

I would really like to find some dealer information about these specials.

Cheers

Marko
http://www.kotinet.com/marko.alatalo/kuvia/blinkers.jpg

DrewBedelph
23rd July 2002, 09:27 AM
Marko

Nice lights! :smile:

I'm in the process of hunting around for some factory info on the Enduro as we speak! As for a brochure, I reckon I'll be hard pressed to find one!!

The pictures of the Enduro owner's manual as shown on the website link in my original post seem to confirm that the car was an Australia - only model; it was printed by Saab Australia and it gives details of the Enduro being painted using Dulux Acran 2K paint - a very early (but very good) Aus-made 2-pack paint that was available here in the early-1980's.

Leave it with me! :smile:

Cheers,

Drew
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/uploads/Enduro2.jpg

Smackrazor
23rd July 2002, 04:08 PM
What is 2 pack paint?

DrewBedelph
23rd July 2002, 09:37 PM
2-pack paint = part A (colour) + part B (hardener). Dries by chemical reaction. OEM finish.

Acrylic (1K) paint = part A (colour) + thinner. Dries by solvent evaporation. Refinish type paints, not used as OEM finish.

Cheers,

Drew

Paco
24th July 2002, 05:43 AM
Nicely explained, Drew, I was never too sure about that. I'll take all the Enduros you can find.

jim_mcghee
25th July 2002, 02:49 PM
hi
what is all the spec for the car?
any internal pics?
cheers

EnduroTroll
24th September 2003, 01:27 AM
Hi all

I'm surprised yet delighted that my car has generated a little interest on this site. Thanks to Drew for putting it up :)

It is one of five now left.

It will be slowly stripped back to bare bones and reconstructed from the ground up. I'll take it back to metal and have it re-hot-dipped prior to a complete respray in original livery.

The original factory-fitted Simmons 3-piece wheels require re-building too.

If anyone is interested, I'll put more photos up here, and give you the full specs.

Cheers
Troll

pda
24th September 2003, 01:40 AM
Hi all,
great looking motor :cheesy: :cheesy:
I would love 1 or 2 off these , very coooool 8) 8)
cheers Paul

john-w
24th September 2003, 03:19 AM
Great car Enduro Troll, lets see some more pictures and the specs. More power to the 8VT gang!!

Yes fella's it's an 8 Valve :o :o :o :o :o

Vermont Saab
24th September 2003, 08:24 AM
2-pack paint = part A (colour) + part B (hardener). Dries by chemical reaction. OEM finish.

Acrylic (1K) paint = part A (colour) + thinner. Dries by solvent evaporation. Refinish type paints, not used as OEM finish.

Cheers,

Drew

You can get refinishing paint that uses not only a thinner but has a hardening catalyst added to it. Acrylic Enamel you can mix (at least Dupont's products) with a ratio to include hardner. It will harden chemically and look great, for a finishing touch it can be clearcoated, but many people here have had bad experences with clearcoat paint. The paint I use is Martin Senior's Acrylic Urathane, you add catalyst to it, it hardens great and shines like a new penny if applyed correctly.

Oh, IMHO I think the car with those wheel arches looks hideous.

ragtopcav
24th September 2003, 08:34 AM
Y'know I kinda like that, really, the styling is a bit as though they were trying to make it look like a Scalextric car.

Munki
24th September 2003, 08:41 AM
She's a beaut' mate!

dougsaab
24th September 2003, 08:59 AM
Troll, get off your busy **** and get that car finished.. :lol:

I miss you and Jeni on chat! :cry:

I'm almost finished with my second 99 resto in two years...damn I need to slow down!!!

dougsaab
24th September 2003, 09:08 AM
Drew....BTW, your link didn't work....try this one instead for pics of Troll's Enduro.

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/gallery/album61

pda
24th September 2003, 04:08 PM
Great car Enduro Troll, lets see some more pictures and the specs. More power to the 8VT gang!!

Yes fella's it's an 8 Valve :o :o :o :o :o

Hi all,
guess wot its a 8v, plus its a "WHITE" Turbo :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
cheers Paul

Ceriw
24th September 2003, 04:39 PM
I removed the original water injection kit off a '78 900t8 's' about 3 months ago- a bloke in Norfolk was scrapping it.Have a photo of the car somewhere.
Thinking about using it with an aquamist injector and after the ic- (the SAAB kit injected on to the compressor...)

MonkeyMan
24th September 2003, 05:11 PM
Hi all

I'm surprised yet delighted that my car has generated a little interest on this site. Thanks to Drew for putting it up :)

It is one of five now left.

It will be slowly stripped back to bare bones and reconstructed from the ground up. I'll take it back to metal and have it re-hot-dipped prior to a complete respray in original livery.

The original factory-fitted Simmons 3-piece wheels require re-building too.

If anyone is interested, I'll put more photos up here, and give you the full specs.

Cheers
Troll

Wow you are a lucky man!! That is sweet! :o 8)

We need pics...lots more pics...maybe some 800x600's? (Please) :cheesy:

Welcome to the site BTW!

BEN

Tweek's Turbos
24th September 2003, 06:12 PM
I would kill for one of 'em, I may know a source for Literature on the car, but wont know till next week.

Anybody object if I painted Cleve's white one up like that? :cheesy:

Just kidding, I have thought about tuning up a nice white GM900 and giving it the apperance of the Enduro.

EnduroTroll
24th September 2003, 09:06 PM
I'll be taking a few more snaps soon, but here are some for the moment :) Ihope that these don't take you all day to download ...

Cheers
Chris

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_on_track.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_RHS_TQ_front.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_RHS_side.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_RHS_TQ_rear.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_Aero.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_dash_2.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_Manual_supp_p1.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_manual_supp_p2.jpg

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/album61/Enduro_Manual_supp_p3.jpg

MonkeyMan
24th September 2003, 09:09 PM
*defecates in pants*

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh that is badass!!!!!!!! :o :o

BEN

bassist5
24th September 2003, 09:21 PM
Hmm... concept is nice but I'd prefer wheel arch flares which are less angular.

there's my opinion.. although I could get over those.. I'd buy one if I had the chance.

EnduroTroll
24th September 2003, 09:33 PM
hehe... it IS very angular.... but looks a lot less severe in the flesh. The angles work particularly well with the slope of the c-pillar.

The reason I bought it is that i really dig the look (and have done since 1982 when I saw one for the first time on the road).... but some don't, of course. Secondarily, it is as rare as... so I had to have it. I think I'd let my house go before I sold this one.

I know of another three (that I've seen recent photographic evidence of), and maybe one other on the other side of the country in Perth.... but that's it.

Saab Australia doesn't have any real information left on it... I've tried to get the full history out of them. They did have an original Specs booklet in a drawer somewhere, and they let me have that.

The guy who owns the "Steroid Popping Swede" Enduro in Canberra (Mark Kostyrko) does know a lot about his, so I'm going to pop in this weekend on hte way down to the snow country to have a chat with him. I'll let you all know what he does.

:)

Chris

bassist5
24th September 2003, 10:28 PM
come to think of it.. That's more less what Renault did with their 5 in the 70's/80's (Renault 5 Turbo and Turbo II)

Rhich
25th September 2003, 02:14 AM
When I first saw the Enduro I thought it was somebody modding a 900 until I read up on it…. I think being as rare as it is makes it unique in itself but looking at the specs and what not it truly is a little monster of a Saab…. I wouldn’t mind owning one for sure….

BurnsSide42
25th September 2003, 02:31 AM
That IS one neat car... do the wheels stick out further that an Normal 900? Is that the reason for the wheel wells? All leading up to - is it a wide track stance?

john-w
25th September 2003, 03:35 AM
Chris, what are the specs on the engine?? What are the differences from the normal 8VT, apart from the external wastegate??

EnduroTroll
25th September 2003, 08:43 PM
I measured the rear track this morning and compared it to my 1985 900 Aero. I measured from the outer tyre egdes as a comparison.

Aero - 50 inches

Enduro - 59 inches

9" wider by my reckoning. The fronts are 4 inches wider.

Handling is very smart. Turn-in is incredible without really affecting straight-line stability too much.

Cheers
Chris

DeLorean
25th September 2003, 11:04 PM
Very interesting! How is that set up? are they custom axles / control arms? or are some sort of extensions used on the wheel hub?

EnduroTroll
25th September 2003, 11:16 PM
DeLorean

The axles and other suspension equipment (apart from the springs) are all standard as far as I can tell.

The difference is in the wild hub offset afforded by the factory-fitted Simmons P4 3-piece wheels. If you look at the photos, you'll see how deep the dish is on the rears.

Cheers
Chris

john-w
27th September 2003, 03:26 AM
Enduro Troll were still waiting for spec's on the engine, whats different from the normal 8VT??

Simon
27th September 2003, 05:19 AM
I'm sure you have more horses John :cheesy:

jnorris
27th September 2003, 06:14 AM
What was the original list price compared to a 'normal' Turbo? And how many were built?

EnduroTroll
5th October 2003, 10:14 AM
Hi all

Sorry not to get back.....

I've been desperately trying to get original specs out of Saab Australia about this car. I managed to speak with one of the original engineers involved in the project,.... and he's a bit forgetful. I'm speaking with him on Monday.

I'll keep you all informed after I have the complete REAL story.

Cheers

EnduroTroll
Chris

EnduroTroll
5th October 2003, 10:17 AM
jnorris

I have found out that the original price was AU$20,000 more than a standard TU3 Turbo.... at AU$47,000 back in 1980. Our dollar was worth US$1.20 back then...

Dave B
12th October 2003, 03:08 PM
just out of interest, what are the red and green lights on the dash switches below the heater controls for? Were they a standard Enduro feature or something you have added?

Dave

saabstar
12th October 2003, 03:39 PM
i love it, i am calling over there right now to track one down. i want that saab body it is to hot !!!!

V.J.S
13th October 2003, 01:24 AM
I might have been dreaming, but I think that the Enduro came also with water injection as standard and while the T8's had 145 to 155hp (with IC) standard, the Enduro had some 170-180hp.

Alex
13th October 2003, 04:47 AM
Wasn't there an Enduro featured on Autospeed a while back.

irsa
18th January 2004, 04:47 AM
I think the link is at the start of the thread. I've been seeing Mark's Enduro for years, I live in Canberra. I saw it a couple of months ago. I belive they were built for the then Group C touring car series and Bathurst, can't remember exactly. Wouldn't mind building a visual replica on a T16.

Cuba
18th January 2004, 06:22 AM
sheesh! I know where one of these is! sleeping..has been for some time..crikey! I thought it was just a tarted up ****ter. It's in a barn.
*Grabs jacket and fly's out the door*

Dave B
17th July 2004, 11:06 AM
Any more updates on your amazing car Chris?? :o

Pleeeeease

Dan1
17th July 2004, 02:33 PM
a beast i would gladly swap my 8v for...

valbowski1980
17th July 2004, 02:50 PM
Looks like a cheap Porsche rippoff

Mattlach
17th July 2004, 06:20 PM
I think that thing is hideous...

They took a beutiful saab and turned it into an ugly ricer.

Then again, if it has the performance to match....

Btw...

Isn't the term Enduro usually associated with dirtbikes?

irsa
17th July 2004, 08:14 PM
Like I said before, apparently the Enduro was built under the Australian Group C regulations for the annual Bathurst 1000km endurance race. Although compared to some other Group C cars, the Enduro is fairly tame.

Petter 900 T
6th September 2004, 10:29 PM
My 900 road/racing car

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Petter900T/2.jpg

Not the prettiest but...

Petter

Stefano
7th September 2004, 04:15 PM
That's pretty. does road/racing car means that you drive it on the road and than to the track to race, or that you are a road racer? :cheesy:

Any detail for the mods you did, or are they top secret? :cheesy:

Welcome to Saabcentral, Petter. Not many members from Norway here (not even from Italy like me, for that matter...)

Petter 900 T
7th September 2004, 05:08 PM
It is a racecar with plates..

Can be driven on the road (and is sometimes for testing...)Totally street legal, a must in my class.

1987 mod (no cat), with 1990 aero suspention, 9000 brakes, kilen/bilstein racing,

8V turbo, because of regulations in my class. custom lh 2.2 injection, evo 6 intercooler, no APC... 5 speed tranny, 7 gearing. Weight with power ewerything 1160 kg.

Glassfibre hood and fenders, made for rallycross.

Plans for next year, Kokill 4 speed, totally blueprinted engine, and a limited diff, does someone know where to get one?
Petter

Orca
7th September 2004, 06:22 PM
Hey, welcome to the board Petter :cheesy:
T8s rule ... 8) What about the specs on your car :-?? Inquiring minds need to know ...

Petter 900 T
8th September 2004, 02:01 AM
Engine and tranny comes from a donor car as is...
1989 aero/special. only 250,000 km on it!

Will build a good engine in the winter!

This is the first year i race it, built it outdoors i Norway during winter..
Learned alot, and will make mods during the winter to come. Hopefully indoors.

Petter

pda
8th September 2004, 02:48 AM
nice car Peter,

welcome to saabcentral :D :D

more pictures & details please :wink: :wink:

Paul

Jezzadee
8th September 2004, 02:57 AM
built it outdoors i Norway during winter..

:o

Velkommen til Saab Central 8)

Scotty Mc
9th September 2004, 04:48 AM
Looks like a cheap Porsche rippoff

Looks nothing like a Porsche ripoff, can I borrow your glasses to have a look? :lol:

slpdesign99
27th November 2006, 07:28 AM
Just been goingnthrough old posts to find information on this model.

Has anyone been able to find out any more info?

I am really after somone that knows were the molds for the bodykit are ?

I am Thinking for an 80s car to build into a classic tarmac rally car and a replica Enduro would be a good car i think ( a genuine is to rare to race)

anyone have any ideas!
Cherrs Scott
(Slpdesign99)
1990 9000 Carlsson

Orca
27th November 2006, 09:38 AM
We never did found out the power specification for this car, but I guess it would be around 175 BHP. My reason for thinking this is that the Enduro is very much the same specification as the 'Super Turbo' which SAAB were working on from 1979.

http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/specials/pages/1979_super_turbo.html

http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/specials/images/1979%20Super%20Turbo%20Excerpt.jpg

In 1981 (same year as the Enduro), there was an "S" model in Sweden which featured much the same set of enhancements, such as water injection, 1 bar boost pressure, etc.

http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/specials/pages/1981_900ts.html

eggsngrits
27th November 2006, 11:01 AM
Janne,

Yes, I'm pretty sure they were Australia only! But why?? Why didn't Saab Sweden sell it's most radical model ever in Europe or elsewhere?? Who knows!!?? :smile:

Drew

That motor will eat the C900 tranny for lunch, that's why. Can you say 'warranty nightmare'?

This is even in the days before the larger pinion (introduced here in 1989), so I'd say that my comment goes double for the 1980 version!

saabassguy
27th November 2006, 11:04 AM
that is pretty cool. probably wouldn't be too popular today, but back in the 80's... i'd get 3.

EnduroTroll
5th February 2011, 08:28 AM
Hi all - long time, no type :)

I now have another Enduro. I've sold my white one to another Enduro enthusiast, and have gone with the Aquamarine Blue Metallic one which is in pretty reasonable condition. It is registered for a full year, so at the conclusion of that year I'll tear her down and start the full process. IT goes extremely well for a 30-year old vehicle, and is becoming more and more reliable every day as I sort out the nigglies.

I have a new website dedicated to the Enduro: www.saab900enduro.com so please visit.

Here are a couple of shots of the current one:

Anyhow - good to be back :)