Spark plugs [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Spark plugs

Firehead
26th May 2004, 11:06 PM
I have just installed new NGK bcp7ev spark plugs for my '89 saab 9000cd turbo. Does anyone know if ngk gaps the plugs for you cause im not sure if the engine is running right. I seems quieter than before but acceleration is different. Im not sure if its better or worse.

Thank you.

valbowski1980
26th May 2004, 11:56 PM
I believe that your manual has the specs on what you should gap your plugs at. Also check this out http://www.saab9000.com/servicing/servicespecs.html

G96nt
27th May 2004, 12:41 PM
I have A quick question, Too

I haven't Pulled the Cover off the plug wires...
are our plugs the larger or smaller size?

I usually buy BPR6's For the volvo/Galant.
(I like the copper, resistor, and V-grooves)

not into the basic, "loud" plugs.

thanks!

Ps.. NGK plugs are .028" gap Fromt the box.
*BUT* plugs whose code ends with "-11" Are gapped @ .044"
same plug, just a wider factory gap... but you should ALWAYS check your gaps before you install.

Firehead
27th May 2004, 08:58 PM
Not sure what you mean bout larger or smaller but thank you for the info bout NGK plugs being gapped at .028. Thats all i needed to read.

G96nt
27th May 2004, 10:32 PM
it's okay, I checked on ngk.com, and the "C" in the plug code means they're 5/8" plugs... which is the smaller of the two plug sizes.... which sorta sucks...I'm going to hop up a step or Two... These little plugs SUCK....

valbowski1980
27th May 2004, 10:46 PM
Dunno about the size, I just hit up Autozone and picked up 4 Bosch Platinum 2s. :lol: Very nice, and on top of that already pre-gapped.

Tone_Depear
28th May 2004, 04:00 AM
Dunno about the size, I just hit up Autozone and picked up 4 Bosch Platinum 2s. :lol: Very nice, and on top of that already pre-gapped.

You should still check the gaps.

I thought if you had a car with Direct Ignition, you had to use basic NGK plugs, because the DI unit uses the plugs as engine sensors? I've been wrong before, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

valbowski1980
28th May 2004, 12:21 PM
I'll check up on the NGK thing, I had no idea about the engine sensor thing. The Bosch Platinums 2s and 4s already come pre gapped to your car's specs out of the box.

Marrk
28th May 2004, 01:53 PM
Some people have experienced bad running with non NGK plugs so the general consensus is to stick with NGK. The ones on the 2.3 turbo with DI should be gapped to 1.1mm, thats what the reference on the spark plug means.
The plugs are used by the DI unit to detect engine knock (detonation) and alter the timing on any cylinders it detects knock.

valbowski1980
28th May 2004, 03:08 PM
So far I've ran the Platinums for a week and if anything the motor works better.

Firehead
28th May 2004, 10:56 PM
yeah i have heard that aswell about non ngk plugs failing to match ngk plugs

valbowski1980
28th May 2004, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...

So what do you guys think, did I make an error by going with non-NGKs even though they are awesome plugs? The car runs very well, a good bit better actually. I don't want to do any harm to the DI or the motor.

Marrk
31st May 2004, 04:41 AM
I cannot understand, when you posted the link to Bills site which states...'Note that the Saab Direct Ignition (DI) system is very sensitive to the type of plug, due to the fact that it uses the plug as a sensor to measure a number of engine parameters and was developed exclusively with the specified NGK spark plugs. While some people have reported some success with the latest type of NGK Platinum plugs, the best advice is to stick to the recommended NGK plugs only. Bosch Platinum plugs have been tried by a number of people, but don't seem to work well for long before they give problems. If you feel like experimenting, remember that you must use resistor-type plugs with DI. Non-resistive plugs will damage the DI cassette, which is not cheap to replace.', you go out and buy plugs which could cause you problems :roll: :roll:

Keep us informed on how they do over the next 10000 miles :cheesy: :cheesy:

valbowski1980
31st May 2004, 01:02 PM
I cannot understand, when you posted the link to Bills site which states...'Note that the Saab Direct Ignition (DI) system is very sensitive to the type of plug, due to the fact that it uses the plug as a sensor to measure a number of engine parameters and was developed exclusively with the specified NGK spark plugs. While some people have reported some success with the latest type of NGK Platinum plugs, the best advice is to stick to the recommended NGK plugs only. Bosch Platinum plugs have been tried by a number of people, but don't seem to work well for long before they give problems. If you feel like experimenting, remember that you must use resistor-type plugs with DI. Non-resistive plugs will damage the DI cassette, which is not cheap to replace.', you go out and buy plugs which could cause you problems :roll: :roll:

Keep us informed on how they do over the next 10000 miles :cheesy: :cheesy:

Point taken, I'm picking up a set of NGKs tuesday. I overlooked the will on the 9000 site. Not the brightes question I've ever posted, one of those days I guess.

It is strange that Bosch mentions nothing of this on their site or anywhere else.

9000anni
31st May 2004, 02:08 PM
I have found this with new type plugs too !

Remember the splitfire plugs ? Worked great for the fisrt 1,500 miles then were no better than stock plugs.

Interesting topic though, how much do these platinum plugs cost I wonder :roll:

valbowski1980
31st May 2004, 02:31 PM
The 2s were $4 per plug, the 4s are like 6.

René Stoop
31st May 2004, 04:21 PM
Beware that the plugs needed are 53 mm in lenght (JIS Japanese Industrial Standard) and most other pluga are 50.5 mm (ISO standard)!!!

valbowski1980
31st May 2004, 04:24 PM
Beware that the plugs needed are 53 mm in lenght (JIS Japanese Industrial Standard) and most other pluga are 50.5 mm (ISO standard)!!!

I'll keep that in mind. I'm getting my plugs from the local Saab dealer this time, no more experiments.

René Stoop
31st May 2004, 04:29 PM
That is no waranty taht you get the right plugs. The last time that I did get plugs they where plugs from the 9-5, BKR7E-11 instead of BCPR7ES-11. Thats why I did find out about the lenght, they were ISO.

Firehead
15th June 2004, 10:58 AM
Would it be ok to install spark plugs in without using a torque wrench to measure the torque? when i installed mine i just tightened them to a reasonable tightness and tried not to overtighten.

thank you.

G96nt
15th June 2004, 11:31 AM
NGK's all have Crush wasers on them.

hand-tighten them, and Then give another 1/2 turn with a wrench.:torque To yield....

Just be certain you gap the plugs Correctly before you smush the crush-washer.... =0]