another cunning plan from a questionable mind.. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: another cunning plan from a questionable mind..

Rhino2.3t
26th May 2004, 12:00 PM
well you know how car manufacturers sell off their old designs to other manufacturers who can't afford development time/costs... Kia 'pride',
Kia 'Fiesta', (old mazda121 or a ford fiesta etc - you get the picture)

why don't we start a charity fund to buy the c900 tooling?
then we can all have brand new ones :cheesy:

(genius moves in mysterious ways :-?? )

garry
26th May 2004, 12:15 PM
Only a few years ago it would have been a stupid idea..... but with the internet... I think it could be possible.....

If only 25% of the members of SaabCentral expressed an interest and all chipped in some dosh, some more than others for a bigger share.... Then its off to see the bank manager with a 10 year buiz plan ...... what would you call the company though?

All the tooling will be somewhere... and at a high storage cost to whoever owns it........

Before we get the safety issue.... I happen to think a c900 could be made to reach the highest of todays standards ..... Plenty of crumple zone room :D Just needs reworked to fold. Slap in some airbags... ta darrrrr !

Abbott 900
26th May 2004, 12:23 PM
Before we get the safety issue.... I happen to think a c900 could be made to reach the highest of todays standards ..... Plenty of crumple zone room :D Just needs reworked to fold. Slap in some airbags... ta darrrrr !

Didn't some of the C900's that went to the States have airbags???

I seem to remember a thread on here where someone had stuffed their C900 into a freeway exit, and they had a picture with the airbag deployed...

Tomoose
26th May 2004, 01:17 PM
I thinnk everything after 1992 had airbags.

yfs87
26th May 2004, 01:28 PM
i would help in every way i could...i love the idea

nutcase
26th May 2004, 01:38 PM
You're assuming the tooling still exists of course!

Willy Wonka
26th May 2004, 02:05 PM
Forward into the Past. Does sound like something Wonka would do. 8)

Rhino2.3t
26th May 2004, 02:23 PM
hmm.. to get around the safety issue by offering it as a kit car.. thus leaving only the SVA hurdle.

and giving enthusiasts more to do 8)
'i built this myself ta-da'

another thing on the safety front - does anyone know of any existing c900 crash testing results or pics?
i've only ever seen the GM tardy results....

garry
26th May 2004, 06:42 PM
I know someone who works in the Vickers./Armstrong where the useless Challenger 2 tank was built.
I recall him talking about the heavy tooling being shipped from plant to plant.... Something about it actually being cheaper to keep the tools moving around the world to press out a few hundred spare body parts than to store them permanently in one place.
They get the tooling appear for various car types from time to time.

So, It may not be a case of buying the tooling, but hiring the tooling.

So,.... where do we assemble these cars.....

I suggest the 'G900' :P :wink: :cheesy:

Rhino2.3t
26th May 2004, 06:46 PM
i suggest the name Rhino900 :wink: it offers an image of security, classless strength, strangely loveable in a distinctive kinda way... the list goes on :cheesy: (ask mrs.Rhino)

SaabScott
26th May 2004, 06:54 PM
Interesting idea. :wink:

Why not give Saab HQ a call and see what sort of figure they give you? :cheesy:

jetman
26th May 2004, 06:59 PM
But lets use the 9000 as a mid engine RWD in it.

Rhino2.3t
26th May 2004, 07:07 PM
no let's VTO jets and wings :wink:

and a barbecue.. and a roulette wheel.. and 19 cupholders..
hell lets jack it up 12" and write 'awesome' on the back :cheesy:

Rhino2.3t
26th May 2004, 07:08 PM
Interesting idea. :wink:

Why not give Saab HQ a call and see what sort of figure they give you? :cheesy:

well they're 'considering' my offer..
(you guys better come up with some ca$h)

Willy Wonka
26th May 2004, 07:14 PM
Rust proof, with fiberglass construction. Like a vw based mg tf/td. We could have them built to spec as part of a group purchase. This definitely requires a new forum. The Rhino900 forum. Speaking of Rhino, it could be made of the rhino bed liner material.

Mattlach
26th May 2004, 07:18 PM
Rust proof, with fiberglass construction. Like a vw based mg tf/td.

How are you going to use the original sheet metal tooling to make fiberglass panels? :P

Rhino2.3t
26th May 2004, 07:18 PM
Quote: The Rhino900 forum. Speaking of Rhino, it could be made of the rhino bed liner material.

LOL *waits for the punchline* which is..........

garry
26th May 2004, 07:32 PM
Well.... I suggest concentrating on one model only. We dont want to run before we can walk :wink: :lol:

Specs?????????

::
900 SPG type body (maybe reworked sleeker aero kit?)
B202 engine 'improved' (why change it?)
TEO4 Mitsi Turbo
new design equal length manifold
red spec APC as standard
3 bar FPR
early 90's DI ignition
traction control
bigger brakes
16" 255 45's
strengthened stock gearbox with better change
stiffer rear suspension...(possibly reworked completely)
softer front anti roll bars
New G900 grill :wink: :cheesy:
crumple zones rethunk
leather seats
air con
full elec

2 colours?.....Black and Red?

Now...... who do I make the cheque payable to?

900t
26th May 2004, 07:51 PM
what would you call the company though?
!

how about SNAAB? Wouldn't need much retooling on badges then...

900t
26th May 2004, 07:52 PM
It would be much easier to get old 9-3's though...

Willy Wonka
26th May 2004, 08:00 PM
Rust proof, with fiberglass construction. Like a vw based mg tf/td.

How are you going to use the original sheet metal tooling to make fiberglass panels? :P :lol:

Be serious, can't you see there's important pragmatic thinking going on here. :lol:

Willy Wonka
26th May 2004, 08:02 PM
Quote: The Rhino900 forum. Speaking of Rhino, it could be made of the rhino bed liner material.

LOL *waits for the punchline* which is..........

Can't say. Could be a good thread. :lol:

Seriously no punch line. Good thought.

Licence
27th May 2004, 07:01 AM

Wouldn't that get rid of the lovely exhaust note?

SPG900
27th May 2004, 12:17 PM
SCG 900?

Saab Central Group 8)

garry
27th May 2004, 08:25 PM

Wouldn't that get rid of the lovely exhaust note?

Yes :( But it would add a clear 10 to 20 HP :-?

I guess an unequal legnth twinn tailpipe design could be fabricated to recreate the burble though :D

Narr..... sod it, lets go with the original manifold, its a work of art anyway !

PaulH
28th May 2004, 12:56 AM
cripes i'd take two... or three :cheesy: just make sure you strengthen the gearbox!!!! :lol:

wouldnt it be great if this actually happened..we could get them made in mexico like the beetles!

Paul

garry
28th May 2004, 09:51 AM
Yup.... It would be great if it actually happened. But as we are still in the hypothetical zone at the moment... what could you offer to the project assuming it did actually happen. :) sign up now!

1] Garry, aero kit/grill/concepts re-styling etc, general re-design inc. graphic design
2]
3]
4]
5]
6]
7]
8]
9]
10]
11]

SPG900
28th May 2004, 10:21 AM
1] Garry, aero kit/grill/concepts re-styling etc, general re-design inc. graphic design

Keep it as original as possible, I'd say. :-?

Rhino2.3t
28th May 2004, 10:25 AM
Yup.... It would be great if it actually happened. But as we are still in the hypothetical zone at the moment... what could you offer to the project assuming it did actually happen. :) sign up now!

1] RhinoT16S, concepts, styling etc, general continuity with ORIGINAL, inc. graphic design (has strong belief that classics shouldn't be messed with - we're building an icon not trying to ape GM)
2] Garry, makes great coffee.
3] :cheesy: :cheesy: (top bloke mind)
4]
5]
6]
7]
8]
9]
10]
11]

SPG900
28th May 2004, 11:27 AM
This should set the example. In South Africa, you can still get a brand new Golf I, and it looks like this:

http://assets.vw.co.za/models/citigolf/g.04full.jpg

http://assets.vw.co.za/models/citigolf/g.06full.jpg

More pics here: http://www.vw.co.za/models/citigolf/gallery.php

The interior could have been done a little better, but overall, I think it's great. I'd certainly be in the market for a similar Saab 900.

bassist5
28th May 2004, 11:31 AM
Holy **** that is so cool! I want a new old Golf!!

PaulH
28th May 2004, 11:45 AM
:o wow thats exactly the way it should be. slightly update the interior, put on an airflow kit, update the trans and be done with it. i mean you could probably even sell them to non saab nuts. think about it four cylinder turbo, front wheel drive...sounds like alot of the new sport compacts to me.

Paul

Jezzadee
28th May 2004, 04:19 PM
I used to have one of them 8) a South African Golf Gti - they were much tougher than the European ones, to deal with the harsh roads, but were illegal in the EU and US due to emmissions (you can run them on sugar cane alcohol, and its like a smoke bomb out the back) :cheesy:

spence
28th May 2004, 05:05 PM
cool a cassic new 900 i would love to have drove my car when it was new although at 18 shes a peach :wink:

Stefano
28th May 2004, 05:17 PM
That Golf is RHD but had the wipers like the LHD ones.

Do you think Saab had all the tooling to build the C900? I think they had many suppliers for a lot of parts, any deal with Saab wouldn't include the tooling for those parts I'm afraid....

Great idea though!!!

Do you think that buying the 9000 tooling too would be more convenient? Imagine a 9000 Aero nobody had never driven hard, actually never driven at all because it's zero miles.... 8)

garry
28th May 2004, 05:35 PM
The tooling will be somewhere, SAAB may not allow it to be purchased but I see no reason why it can't be hired as this will save SAAB storage costs :D

If your going to recreate the c900 I would make the aero kit more today and less 80's by introducing more organic forms whilst still maintaining its successful lines....
A reworked front and back aero bumper which does not stick out at all..... No other car manufacturers are bothered about protective bumpers anymore, the customers dont seem bothered so why not update the c900 with something a bit more flush fitting and less practical?
Rear and front bumper sections flush with the lights?

first sketches.....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/design_jon/SAAB/900idea.jpg

Willy Wonka
28th May 2004, 06:33 PM
GM always buys ALL patent rights. So you need to restyle. Keep the same shape restyle the edges. Round the creases. What to do for an engine?

sjhudon
28th May 2004, 06:39 PM
i mean you could probably even sell them to non saab nuts.
Paul

No I don't think so :nono; :D

DeLorean
28th May 2004, 06:44 PM
you see... a NEW C-900 turbo would probably cost like $40,000 in todays money. I prefer the $2000 1988 model myself ;)

Willy Wonka
28th May 2004, 07:04 PM
you see... a NEW C-900 turbo would probably cost like $40,000 in todays money. I prefer the $2000 1988 model myself ;)
Ok so a glass kit that keeps the original works, for a long time. We could get gm to pay for molds, as the publicity would keep the rebadge going for years.

garry
28th May 2004, 07:32 PM
for sure , it would cost a LOT of money as a majority of the build will be by hand due to low volume prduction. It would be a hand crafted car.

((why not simply use a newer base in the first place?)) ??... I can't think of any major flaws in the c900 design !

Its a bit longer than it could be...yes. But if you make it any shorter it would loose its good looks :D