Crash Tests (Ford F150 vs. Mini Cooper) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Crash Tests (Ford F150 vs. Mini Cooper)

Mattlach
25th May 2004, 08:53 PM
These are twe very interesting articles on safety of cars.

Neither of them apply to Saab directly, but very interesting reads either way...

Ford F150 vs. Mini Cooper (http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150)

New Yorker article on SUV safety (http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html)

Essentially to sum it up, the articles are saying that many people by these beastly big SUV's cause they feel safer in such a big vehicle.

The truth however? More than double the accident deaths per million in large SUV's than in compact cars...

Mattlach
25th May 2004, 09:13 PM
A memorable little passage form the second article:

And what Rapaille concluded from countless, intensive sessions with car buyers was that when S.U.V. buyers thought about safety they were thinking about something that reached into their deepest unconscious. "The No. 1 feeling is that everything surrounding you should be round and soft, and should give," Rapaille told me. "There should be air bags everywhere. Then there's this notion that you need to be up high. That's a contradiction, because the people who buy these S.U.V.s know at the cortex level that if you are high there is more chance of a rollover. But at the reptilian level they think that if I am bigger and taller I'm safer. You feel secure because you are higher and dominate and look down. That you can look down is psychologically a very powerful notion. And what was the key element of safety when you were a child? It was that your mother fed you, and there was warm liquid. That's why cupholders are absolutely crucial for safety. If there is a car that has no cupholder, it is not safe. If I can put my coffee there, if I can have my food, if everything is round, if it's soft, and if I'm high, then I feel safe. It's amazing that intelligent, educated women will look at a car and the first thing they will look at is how many cupholders it has."

yfs87
26th May 2004, 07:47 AM
i need a cupholder for my c900...hell make it 17!! lol :wink:

i never eat and barely drink when driving (legal substances mind you) so it isnt an issue to me. if not for other people, i focus on the road because i love my car so much. hehehe

-wyeth

goalkeeper21
26th May 2004, 10:10 AM
wow that is great for Mini! at first I was like why would they test those two cars, they have nothing alike but then I figured that the Mini had to have done better then the Ford or else there would be no story. The F150 is a ball though that is terrible! Nice article thanks
Tony

valbowski1980
26th May 2004, 02:50 PM
The F-150 crashed here is an older model, the new one does a whole lot better http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0328.htm. Still this conveys perfectly that big car doesn't always mean safe car.

The cup holder thing is sad, but then again we don't really sell too many standards in the US anymore either. Imagine having to shift, sip coffee, talk on the phone and watch a movie on your in-dash DVD.

CosmicSaab
26th May 2004, 03:56 PM
Dateline was there with the IIHS when the crash tests were performed, I remember seeing that episode. The Toyota ( :cheesy: ) Tundra performed better than any other vehicle in that test. The IIHS also said that the F150 was one of the worst perofromers that they had ever seen and that he (the IIHS guy) wouldn't put his family on that truck. The new F150 gets a good rating though.

Mattlach
26th May 2004, 04:45 PM
yeah. The seond article is a bit long, but its the one I find the most interesting. Although I knew most of it before, it provides more understanding on the multiple levels of vehicle safety.

And I am utterly disgusted by the fact that people are buying cars after their primal instincts rather than their analytical capabilities.

After all, we are humans, not animals who are slaves to our instincts...

I think I have forever lost any respect I had for SUV and truck drivers...

goalkeeper21
26th May 2004, 10:09 PM
One of my professors said that the F150 was the highest selling car/truck in the market also. If that is true then shows you that people just don't know about their safety.
Tony