stupid spyware [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: stupid spyware

Scotty Mc
25th May 2004, 02:43 PM
Oh joy!!

My computer is now infected with spware which I cannot erase!! Stupid annoying pop-ups which won't go away coupled with a homepage which wnt go either, I'm starting to loose my temper!!

Is there anyway that I can get rid of this annoying thing? I do have spyware software and it can locate the problem but it doesn't seem to be able to delete it properly!!

Would a full system re-boot work? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dano1atty
25th May 2004, 02:48 PM
Oh joy!!

My computer is now infected with spware which I cannot erase!! Stupid annoying pop-ups which won't go away coupled with a homepage which wnt go either, I'm starting to loose my temper!!

Is there anyway that I can get rid of this annoying thing? I do have spyware software and it can locate the problem but it doesn't seem to be able to delete it properly!!

Would a full system re-boot work? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

You and I both, dude.

bohtak
25th May 2004, 02:49 PM
try
ad aware
www.lavasoftusa.com

and
spy bot
http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10122137.html

easy to use.. and free! removes most spyware.

jnorris
25th May 2004, 02:50 PM
I doubt it to be honest. Something like Norton really should sort the problem out. Obviously changing the homepage back is very straightforward. If a reasonable package like Norton can't deal with it you might try a technical bulletin board - it might take a while to find what you're looking for but they seem to have most problems covered.

Munki
25th May 2004, 02:57 PM
I agree with Bohtak. Spybot and adaware should indentify and remove the problem. If spybot cannot remove it due to it being in use then it should remove it after a reboot. If you can post more details on what is not being removed then we may be able to help more. Are you ready to enter THE REGISTRY!!! :D

Norton is unlikely to sort the problem as it is primarily Anti-virus software and we are dealing with Malware by the sounds of it here.

TPK
25th May 2004, 02:57 PM
try
ad aware
www.lavasoftusa.com

and
spy bot
http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10122137.html

easy to use.. and free! removes most spyware.

thats what i use for my one unix box, im so happy im a linux/mc os head

CleveSaab
25th May 2004, 05:07 PM
the 1-2-3 Punch Method guarenteed to remove spy/mal/adware.

3 programs required.
Lavasoft Ad-aware
SpyBot
and this one:
A-squared
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

All free.
Download all, install all.
Run AD-AWARE first, then SPYBOT, then A-2.
Adaware and Spybot will say "would you like to remove the ones I couldn't at reboot?"
Click YES.
Reboot.
Fixed.
;)

stuart_mc
25th May 2004, 06:05 PM
Another one to the list...

Spy Sweeper

http://www.webroot.com/php/tryme.php?bjpc=64000&vcode=DT02

Scotty Mc
25th May 2004, 08:21 PM
Cheers guys!!

I've emailed my log files to my spyware company and they are looking into it.

But I will still try the ones that you have supplied and see if they work! :cheesy:

sjhudon
25th May 2004, 08:23 PM
I've emailed my log files to my spyware company and they are looking into it.

You did what now?

Munki
25th May 2004, 08:29 PM
Please tell me that this company is not Virtual Bouncer! :o

sethsev7n
25th May 2004, 08:40 PM
Try..... a mac :cheesy:

GearHead
25th May 2004, 08:44 PM
some spyware latches itself to you system files,by changing its name so that norton and the like go over them as if nothing is wrong.some regenerate aswell.that is why my computer is trashed.F$$$ing Spyware :evil:

Scotty Mc
25th May 2004, 09:00 PM
Ive ran two of the three and still have the problem. Cant seem to shift it yet :evil:

ragtopcav
25th May 2004, 09:15 PM
I got a cheap software package for this called pest patrol, it worked quite well, on the first run found loads of stuff, i've set it to scan once a week, catches the odd bit OK. This bit of payware along with grisofts excellent antivirus freeware package have kept my PC clean for ages now.

jimmythefly
26th May 2004, 02:48 PM
On this website:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

Some random guy gives instructions on removing some common spyware type stuff. A bit tedious, but seems to work on the files that Ad-Aware keeps telling me it can't delete.

20Ted
26th May 2004, 03:29 PM
Does anyone else have problems with SpyBot?? I've run it on FOUR different computers - it detects tons of stuff, but in the "fix-it" phase, the program stops responding - on all 4 computers :-? ...

toenail
26th May 2004, 06:14 PM
Best advice I've gotten so far has been found on the Techie forums. They can usually identify and walk you through removal of anything that's out there. It requires entering the Registry and deleting things installed maliciously, but has never failed me. Anytime I've found a pop-up that's gotten through my blocker I just noted the address and google searched it. I found dozens of threads in Tech forums similar to this one where others have gone through the same problems. These guys know their stuff, like we know our Saabs. Just a thought.

SaabScott
26th May 2004, 09:57 PM
Does anyone else have problems with SpyBot?? I've run it on FOUR different computers - it detects tons of stuff, but in the "fix-it" phase, the program stops responding - on all 4 computers :-? ...

I use SpyBot on all of my computers ... without problem. :cheesy:

Thanks for recommending that last year Munki! 8)