Web hosting [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Web hosting

Russell
25-05-04, 11:53 AM
Guys and Gals,

does anyone here have any recommendations for web hosts. I need the services of a host and I need to get some ideas on how much it costs and the types of things that I need to think about - any ideas of where to look? books to look at ? online guides etc?

any ideas gratefully accepted

Rhino2.3t
25-05-04, 12:22 PM
me (for SME's) 8) /plug over

alternatively for very cheap non-critical websites try.. bargainhosts, ukhosts4u, (your own isp?).. theres lots and lots and lots to choose from.........depends how much you want to spend, what facilities you require, how reliable it has to be..

feel free to PM if you need any impartial advice :idea

Jerry03Arc
25-05-04, 12:26 PM
I use www.lowesthosting.com it is $4.95 mo with 1 year domain name registration included or a second year free if you already have your own domain. The only down side is there is no customer service or anyone you can call. Any problem can only be dealt with via e-mail. They always respond quickly though.

Jetset
25-05-04, 01:28 PM
I use

www.virtualnames.co.uk

the provide linux based hosting, FTP access, and nice web control pannel thingie, and are reasonably cheap. Their tech support is also via e-mail but are quick and friendly, and prepared to work with even small customers like myself if you have problems (I had one with phpBB and the zend optimiser)

I used to run a Guild website for DAOC, and it uses MySQL, php, and consumes about 1.5gig a month, their "low cost hosting" only cost me 80 a year, with up to 2.5 gig of transfer a month and 50 megs of web space. They also provide pop3 mail boxes and webmail.. I have their basic package for my personal site which only costs me 20 a year, which is pretty cheap.

Ricky Lake
26-05-04, 04:40 AM
I use www.dc-hosting.com who have been fine and have pretty good customer service (and patient as I'm non technical...).

R.

900t
26-05-04, 04:47 PM
for free hosting I like 100free.com since they don't limit bandwidth and give 25mb space...

brunp
26-05-04, 11:27 PM
Hi there,

I use LunarPages.com to host the two sites that I manage and take car of. One is an add-on domain to my primary site. You have to pay attention to how much bandwidth you think you will use up in the month and move on from there. This site offers plenty of functionality to enhance the look and feel of your website including bulletin boards, chat areas, etc.

Hope this helps!!!

Paul