Official Stanley Cup thread. Lightning VS Flames [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Official Stanley Cup thread. Lightning VS Flames

Jerry03Arc
25-05-04, 09:37 AM
There seem to be a few hockey fans around here, so this is the place to let it all hang out, talk smack, and comment on the series.

LETS GO LIGHTNING

I am soooooo excited. I got tickets to game 1!! $120 a pop but it is well worth it. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Tonight 8:00 EST (GMT -5 for all of you international folks)

jetman@home
25-05-04, 09:45 AM
Tampa plays essentially the same style as san Jose did, but with better players. Calgary has come out of nowhere and has played near perfect hockey the entire playoff. If Calgary can keep it up through one more series, it should go the distance and be one to remember. If they go flat St Louis, LeCalvier and Richards will make them look like PeeWees. You've got a ton of guys who have never been this far so how they deal with nerves will be very key. Both teams are really young and fast. I'm just so happy boring teams like NJ are out of it. For once it will be real hockey that's enjoyable to watch.
Gotta pull for the Canadian team though.
Calgary in seven.
Lots of overtime.

Jerry03Arc
25-05-04, 11:00 AM
Both teams are really young and fast. I'm just so happy boring teams like NJ are out of it.

I know what you mean. I was so happy when all of the old man teams fell. Stars, Avalanche, and my #2 team the Red Wings. It is nice to see some fresh blood in the race for the cup.

aerovert
25-05-04, 03:50 PM
I was so disappointed when Calgary took out the Wings (I'm originally from Detroit), but I kinda saw it coming. I had a feeling this year wasn't going to be the defense-oriented, trap and grab kind of playoff year.

I am now mostly neutral but kinda leaning towards Calgary (pronounced cal-GARY, not CAL-gry)... it should be entertaining hockey, but certainly not good for TV ratings at all. Should put a damper on the CBA talks if and when they get started... we'll see, eh?

Scott
Charleston SC
04 Aero Convertible, steel grey

SaabScott
25-05-04, 07:39 PM
There seem to be a few hockey fans around here, so this is the place to let it all hang out, talk smack, and comment on the series.

LETS GO LIGHTNING

I am soooooo excited. I got tickets to game 1!! $120 a pop but it is well worth it. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Tonight 8:00 EST (GMT -5 for all of you international folks)

$120 a seat? :o

You couldn't get standing room in the first round for that little amount of money in Toronto! :nono;

I had really been hoping that the Leafs would have made it past Phiily so that I could have seen them play Tampa while we were down in Florida! :roll:

Go Flames Go!

Having said that, Tampa does deserve to win it all, what a year they have had! 8)

McG
26-05-04, 01:56 AM
Great game tonight!

(FYI, it's pronounced CAL-gree, not cal-GARY :) )

Jerry03Arc
26-05-04, 09:00 AM
Great game tonight!

It was a weird environment at the Forum last night, you could hear a pin drop in there. It is louder during pre season when we are loosing. The lightning played horrible. They couldnít complete a pass and didnít crash the net like usual. They were trying to be fancy with the puck and got their ***** handed to them. Hopefully it was just first game jitters. It also looked like the Flames did not bring their A game (Which is scary since they beat us 4 - 1). The Flames that I saw in the Western finals were not there last night. They didnít have the usual intensity I see, and their puck control was only fair (but still better than the Lightnings) Both teams are better than what was there last night. Hopefully Thursdays game will be a bit more exciting.

McG
26-05-04, 03:30 PM
Agreed Jerry, neither team brought their A game.

Calgary kept turning it over on silly cross-ice passes through the neutral zone...ans that's not their game.

The Lightning looked a little lost and bewildered. I've seen that before...in the Canucks, and the Red Wings, and the Sharks. It remains to be seen whether they can adapt to Calgary's style. They haven't had a tough opponent yet (even Philly wasn't "tough" on the Bolts), so we'll see if they step up. I like Tortorella, so I think he will have the boys ready to play next game.

I heard a columnist say that playing against the Flames is like chewing on tin-foil: a very unpleasant experience.

Calgary is good at exploiting weaknesses on defence...they did it through every series...they picked on one guy a lot. Looks like Dan Boyle is that D- man this series.

On another note: lucky you for getting tickets....it's impossible to get them here in Calgary at the moment.

94saabguy
02-06-04, 02:06 AM
I've got game 5 and 7 tickets :cheesy: GO BOLTS! My heart bleeds for the Flames fans who shelled out big bucks to see the boys get shut out game 4 :o :o :o The only down side is Head Coach Tort is a A##hole, but the players deserve to win and you can't hold that against them..