Something Almost Always Broken [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Something Almost Always Broken

n8
24th May 2004, 12:48 PM
Ok so sometimes SAAB gets a bad wrap for being tempermental.

How long has your Saab gone without something breaking or going wrong????

I have gone about 4 months. :roll:

Spill your guts people! :cheesy: :oops:

Abbott 900
24th May 2004, 01:04 PM
I've had my 97 900 vert for 2 years now, and not had anything break or go wrong with it...

Ricky Lake
24th May 2004, 01:07 PM
Drove a '98 93 SE Vert for 3 years and had a grand total of nothing go wrong with it. Serviced it, put petrol in it and needed a new set of (front) tyres. The day I traded it in someone nicked the wing mirror cover while it was parked at work but you can hardly blame that on the car.

New car (04 93 'vert) has been 2 months without incident - apart from a stupid user error where I caught the front on a kerb (the new aero is so much lower than an old style 93 vert...)

Long may it continue...

R.

DeLorean
24th May 2004, 01:12 PM
well, my saabs have always "run" but there is always something or other wrong with them. at the moment, I need new ball joints, maybe a wheel bearing and my steering rack is acting up (again). oh, and it also likes to pop out if 1st gear sometimes :evil: so yeah, in my case, something really is almost always broken ;)

Crevalle
24th May 2004, 02:42 PM
No car is ever "perfect" for a vehicle connoisseur. There is always something you want to improve upon.

valbowski1980
24th May 2004, 03:08 PM
My Saab tends to break about once every 3-4 months.

GearHead
24th May 2004, 03:10 PM
my saab tends to break down about once every 18 months.

Clutch Job...18 months...coolant hose(unknown which one yet)

Rhino2.3t
24th May 2004, 04:05 PM
in long term ownership experience as follows..

i bought a '90 9000 2.0fpt with 110k and no history (it passed a compression test :D and an MOT without any fault - what more could i want?).. upped the boost and fitted a suspenion kit/brakes - ran it on nothing more than fuel, tyres, pads and tax until 192k when it was kindly written off for me :cry: 80k of bulletproof reliability, it never once let me down in 4 years. depreciation - £2000.

'96 merc E280 estate FSH 100k - received a written warning from the AA that they would no longer cover the car :roll: , and after £3k of fault chasing finally gave up and traded it in......

'02 bmw 323Ci coupé - a/c failed and filled the car with steam after 700miles (from NEW!).. wouldnt start on 2 occasions and had the bmw 'total cover' taxi cover our business appointments (excellent 2hour response though!)
regularly used 1 litre of oil every 1000miles - dealer response 'they all do it'

'88 325i touring, bought for peanuts 4years old with 80k, ran til 165k on fuel, tyres/pads and tax.. bulletproof - sold for £3000 less than purchase price after 6 (yes, 6) years later.

in summary - E30 or SAAB. they don't make cars like they used to 8)

theres good and bad of anything, each to this own - but mine's a saab so far.. 8)

craigdeluxe
24th May 2004, 04:34 PM
My 1990 900t16 tends to work for about a week before something else breaks or gives up due to wear and tear.
On its fourth engine, second turbo, second box etc...... Mind you I usually break things myself :roll: not always the cars fault. :lol:
Crappy second hand parts from 'reputable' suppliers tend not to help matters either.

n8
24th May 2004, 09:27 PM
Speaking of witch.....
After posting this thread today, guess what happened!!??

The f*****g clutch bearing blew up in my car! Sounded like putting gravel into a blender and trying to make smoothies! The clutch is now stuck to the floor, not driveable. Getting it towed tomorrow. Car will be down for awhile till reviewed and fixed. :evil:

I guess thats my luck for starting this topic!!! :cry: :x
Hopefully the transmission didn`t get hurt. :oops:

Vermont Saab
24th May 2004, 09:43 PM
Uh, right now about thirty hours and counting...........

Got some water in the distributor and wouldn't start Sunday, before that I had gone about two months without any problems.

clg31187
24th May 2004, 09:56 PM
I tend to have a nice problem every 5 months or so... I always have something that I want to fix to make the car perfect(although it never is :-? )

received a written warning from the AA that they would no longer cover the car I would take that as a bad sign too.

Christophe

yfs87
25th May 2004, 09:09 AM
coolant hose(unknown which one yet)

no luck on that one yet gearhead? did u have time to pull it apart last night?

Acathla
25th May 2004, 02:34 PM
My 1992 2.3 CSE was hell on wheels.
Got in it one day to find it in Limp Home Mode, wouldnt idle for anything. Got it back 18 weeks later.

2 weeks after it returned (to the very day) it became jammed in gear, wouldn't even roll with the clutch in, and where reverse was became a forward gear!

3 weeks later it came back with a another healthy repair bill. £1500 in total, and that was with buying second hand bits for it - you think I am going to spend $700 just for a throttle body? Noooo way!

Enough was enough, I exchanged it for an Aero.

[/img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p1758030bac4e84713216bae45d3b9a48/f89d6dc5.jpg[/img][/url]

Acathla
25th May 2004, 02:37 PM
Ah - well that didn't work! It was meant to show this - think it spent more time on the road on the back of trucks than it did under its own propulsion.

alan forsyth
25th May 2004, 04:17 PM
craig bugger the reputable dealers and stick with people you know :cheesy: .i get a few weeks then its under the saab again

CleveSaab
25th May 2004, 05:09 PM
99 - Rarely
94- constantly.
;(

SaabScott
25th May 2004, 08:35 PM
I've only really had 3 problems with mine ...

Fuel pump went within 2 weeks of getting the car. :evil:

Idler pulley was going and gave up the ghost as I parked it at the dealership to pick up the parts ... they had me out of there in under 2 hours! :cheesy:

Clutch went this spring ... not much I can do on a car that has had a few owners. :roll:

All in all, more age related issues than make / model related.
I'm very happy with my car! :cheesy: 8)

GearHead
25th May 2004, 08:48 PM
coolant hose(unknown which one yet)

no luck on that one yet gearhead? did u have time to pull it apart last night?nope,and the water/high revs didnt help me find it either :cry: .a good note is that it only leaks when the car runs... :-?

nutcase
26th May 2004, 04:47 AM
Where do I start? :cheesy: But then I think my car can be excused for having a few problems. At least until I'm driving it :)

Stumpage
26th May 2004, 06:52 AM
Since I brought it I haven't had a days motoring without something not working. It's a dashboard light that shows the indicator flashing that's packed up at the moment so as it's to much effort to change I figured if I leave it it may mean that noting else will go wrong. :lol: :lol:

n8
30th May 2004, 04:32 PM
FINALLY!!!!

Got the car fixed! :cheesy:
3 days later and 1,600$$ ouch!
The throwout bearing disintegrated and the master clutch system was leaking hydrolic fluid all over. The whole clutch system had to be replaced. The flywheel almost got ruined but they managed to remachine it to good working order.
So pretty much I have a new car, clutch wise. Drives like a dream! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Saabian
30th May 2004, 05:17 PM
Both of my 900s have always had something wrong with them at any given time. Usually nothing of any significance though. Except the time when I drove my 8v for two days with a shot clutch pilot bearing. That was interesting to say the least. I drove the turbo all winter with a leaky coolant system and it still has a shot thermoswitch, no passenger seat controlls, and a central locking system that works whenever it damn well pleases. But both of those cars are old, and I tend to drive the hell out of my cars. I forgive them.

-Ian