SaabCentral Forums banner

2011 9-5 Aero turbos Binding noise when turning beyond 70 degrees

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mlarabia 
#1 · (Edited)
Binding noise when turning..SOS

SOS...2011 Aero 9-5 turbox with only 11k miles is making a terrible binding noise when turning wheel beyond, say 70 degrees. Does not make noise when in neutral. Visit to dealer has not identified any answers, no codes, nothing mechanical after four hours of diagnostics. Sound is difficult to pin point, deep base sound, that seems to come from rear, but is so low it is a bit non directional.

Noise is identical to driving "traditional" 4*4 on drive payment making sharp turn. Dealer has vehicle as they fear driving could be either dangerous or potentially exacerbate the issue if mechanical or tied to rear end.

I have searched many forums, have not seen any evidence of this issue. Good news is that car purchase came with Master Repair warranty.

Would be grateful for input and or guidance on this issue. I suspect related to XDrive and how electronics respond adjust when wheel is turned, either direction sharp...

#7 ·
2011 9-5 Aero turbos Binding noise when turning beyond 70 degrees-The fix

HI Friend
The filter was the initial approach, technician explained the filter was a flawed, admitted, design. Something along the lines that the differential's fluid capacity to small and filter becoming clogged, short life span. This filter service did correct the problem, but within 3-5k reappeared. In the end, a combination of filter/fluid change combined with the clutch pack being replaced was the long-term remedy. My 9-5NG XWD Aero has now been 15k+ miles trouble, noise, binding free! Brownell Saab, Fishkill NY, Chris in Service was the advocate to discover the fix and to ensure aftermarket warranty covered 100%. Repair was in excess of $2k.
Hope this helps.
Dave

#8 ·
Dave, this is extremely helpful, thanks! I'm hoping to learn more shortly about what codes the system detected. I definitely plan to do the fluid/filter change, and I will track down more info about the clutch pack. It looks like I might also have some leakage between the TTD (torque transfer device) and the RDM (rear drive module). Presumably it just needs a new seal.

Just to be clear, you had the TTD clutch pack replaced, right? I see there is another clutch pack for the eLSD.

Thanks again!

#12 ·
My mechanic rebuilt my rear drive unit, and after 50 miles of driving, things are good. He does not have a Tech II, so he had to guess at the proper amount of clutch oil. After the first fill, the service light came on. But after adding a bit more, things seem just fine.

Here's the basic story...

Trouble code C0407 (I had a different mechanic pull this code who does have a Tech II)

(I'm not 100% sure that all of these parts are exactly right... there are so many variations on the same part numbers...)

13334078 Seal kit (make sure it comes with all seals, there are about 8-10 all together)
22956728 eLSD clutch piston
20986573 Filter kit (the original filter is 13280043, be sure to get the new filter)
93165387 Clutch oil
88900330 Clutch oil additive (some say this is not necessary, it's already in the clutch oil, might depend on which exact part number you get)
88900401 Axle oil

I bought the part = $300
Labor ($65/hh * 8hr) = $550

I will try to post an update when I put more miles on the car. I plan to do the filter kit and oils every 30,000 miles.

#14 ·
2010 9-5 Aero Rear Binding noise rumble??

OK HERE is one better for all of you I was having no problems with my AWD or Diff at all on my 2010 9-5 Aero but decided it was time to change all the fluids and guess what, my diff is making the binding noise now, how is this possible We did the filter and gasket and filled and drove the car the service diff and service AWD warning lights came on so I take it back to my buddies house he tops off fluids we drop it I take it for a spin and bam! binding noise on corner turns. the levels are perfect but the binding noise is there. So any suggestions besides driving it off a cliff :x

oh by the way the service lights never came back on and there are no codes.

Thank you

#15 ·
OK HERE is one better for all of you I was having no problems with my AWD or Diff at all on my 2010 9-5 Aero but decided it was time to change all the fluids and guess what, my diff is making the binding noise now, how is this possible We did the filter and gasket and filled and drove the car the service diff and service AWD warning lights came on so I take it back to my buddies house he tops off fluids we drop it I take it for a spin and bam! binding noise on corner turns. the levels are perfect but the binding noise is there. So any suggestions besides driving it off a cliff :x

oh by the way the service lights never came back on and there are no codes.

Thank you
I guess its possible since you now put new thinner/unused fluid in there that its exposing the problems that may have been there previously but you hadnt heard?

How many miles on your car? Im not going to touch my diff until it says to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.