What Do You Think of Toyota? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: What Do You Think of Toyota?

dano1atty
20th May 2004, 02:06 PM
$10b in earnings??? :o More than GM, Ford and Chrysler combined! Wow!!!! Competitors take note. That being said, obviously in this forum, we're not Toyota guys. So what do you really think of this automaker?

CosmicSaab
20th May 2004, 02:09 PM
I think Toyota is great.

after all, I am the Saab Central Japanese car troll! 8)

lionsgraphics
20th May 2004, 02:35 PM
Although most of their cars are extremely boring, i have a lot of respect for the company. Especially after new prius.

bearclaw
20th May 2004, 02:42 PM
Owned 'em for the last 20 years. Their sh*t is damn near bulletproof (look at some of the pics of Toyota trucks performing daily around the world. Sometimes I think they're literally bulletproof :o ). Their features are well thought out. Their engineering makes sense. Their quality is legendary. I don't know what else to say.

Jezzadee
20th May 2004, 02:56 PM
The old Land Cruisers were great - very popular with farmers in Zimbabwe (doors optional).

after all, I am the Saab Central Japanese car troll! 8)

( :oops: What have I done? :D )

Bad3
20th May 2004, 03:00 PM
http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/therotman/toyota.gif

valbowski1980
20th May 2004, 03:14 PM
http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/therotman/toyota.gif

A Honda is a toyota thats actually rewarding to drive :evil:

I have nothing but good things to say about both Honda and Toyota. We've (my family) owned both, two camrys and an accord. All three served without any major issues and I wish Saabs were built that well.

kevitree
20th May 2004, 03:51 PM
I work for Toyota and their philosophy of constant improvement is now paying off through a japanese philsophy called Kaizen

This is a business practice that the manufactuers are implementing right through the dealer/centre network

Remember that Toyota have CASH reserves available to buy FORD and GM together with another cash left over to buyout FIAT

In the UK Toyota are currently 4th largest in terms of new units sold there aim is by 2010 to be the NO 1. This isnt on the back of cheap discount cars but on good reliable solid motors and dealer profitabilty

And before everyone gets on the high horse about dealers overcharging etc! UK dealers no longer get incentives based on SALES from the manufacturer either cars or parts.

UK dealers are paid now on CES (Customer Experience Survey) results

Basically if we dont get a 96% pass mark we dont get an incentive pay out

bearclaw
20th May 2004, 04:28 PM
I work for Toyota and their philosophy of constant improvement is now paying off through a japanese philsophy called Kaizen

This is a business practice that the manufactuers are implementing right through the dealer/centre network

Remember that Toyota have CASH reserves available to buy FORD and GM together with another cash left over to buyout FIAT

In the UK Toyota are currently 4th largest in terms of new units sold there aim is by 2010 to be the NO 1. This isnt on the back of cheap discount cars but on good reliable solid motors and dealer profitabilty

And before everyone gets on the high horse about dealers overcharging etc! UK dealers no longer get incentives based on SALES from the manufacturer either cars or parts.

UK dealers are paid now on CES (Customer Experience Survey) results

Basically if we dont get a 96% pass mark we dont get an incentive pay out

Owning Toyotas renewed my faith in dealerships, after years of abuse at the hands of American car dealers. My daughter has an Accord, and judging by her experiences, Honda is following the same mantra. "Please, please, PLEASE fill out the customer survey" and "Anything less than top marks is a fail".

At a manufacturing company I used to work for, there was a 4-day kaizen held at a sister company regarding reorganizing a certain production line. It was made clear at the outset that NO idea is regarded as too outlandish, and that, when you think you have everything just perfect, that's the time to tear it apart and start over again. Very interesting and yielded good results.

Nikkidanjo
20th May 2004, 05:27 PM
Odd, Toyota's dealers are one of the primary I stay away from an otherwise very good brand.

bassist5
20th May 2004, 06:34 PM
My whole band depends on Japanese cars, and mostly Toyotas.. Sure, they're not the best looking cars, and I hate Japanese cars (ricers ruined it for me), but Toyotas are great cars.

The bass player in my band has an ancient Toyota truck. That thing's great for hauling equipment and such. It's also indestructible. It's a good car and still running strong after quite a long time on the road. He sometimes uses his parent's car, a Toyota Avalon ('00, or something) and it's one of the fastest cars I've been in. Roomy as hell too, and really comfortable. Great car overall.

Guitarist has a '91 Toyota Camry station wagon.. it's slower than anything but it too is indestructible. Proof: one time, it was loaded with amps (back seats folded down and what not) so it was pretty low, and we were pretty drunk, so our bassist (200 lbs+) decided it would be cool to try to jump over it.. well, he got halfway there and landed on the roof.. the car didn't suffer anything.. That right there says "quality car", in my book.. if a drunk, 200 lbs 18 year old can jump on it and it can survive intact.

My parents have a Mazda Tribute.. It's not bad. It's got a 4-cyl, I think, with a 5-speed manual.. don't drive it regularly because the insurance company denies me God damn insurance (long story..), but I've driven it before, I was surprised by how fast it was.. I expected it to be slow as hell..

Anyhow, Toyotas.. I like 'em, and that's coming from me who hates Japanese cars..

fabric
20th May 2004, 06:48 PM
My parents have a Mazda Tribute..

The Tribute is the same as the Ford Escape. I'm not saying good or bad, because Ford and Mazda designed it together. It gets mainly good reviews, but I don't think it's reliability is quite at the Toyota/Honda/Nissan level.

KevBu
20th May 2004, 07:13 PM
http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/d8/03/9a_1_b.JPG

Ive always wanted one of these, getting rare, and now big £££ :o for a 16 year old Toyota!
One of THE best oversteer toys though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=2479385477&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

jimbob
20th May 2004, 07:22 PM
When I get Toyotas in for servicing, that's usually all they need...a service. Perhaps a set of new brake pads now and again, but not new wishbone bushes, brake pipes, welding etc like your average Ford.
From my point of view in the motor trade, there is really a difference in quality compared to most other popular cars.
BTW, what's the obsession with Japanese cars on this website? I must have seen dozens of threads about them.

clg31187
20th May 2004, 07:31 PM
their new cars are very well built and very boring, however this was not always the case, the supra and old mr2 come to mind

as for the supra, you know they built it right if the engine can make over 1000 horsepower on stock internals and still run for more than 200,000 miles.

900t
20th May 2004, 07:42 PM
http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/d8/03/9a_1_b.JPG

Ive always wanted one of these, getting rare, and now big £££ :o for a 16 year old Toyota!
One of THE best oversteer toys though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=2479385477&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

I remember I had opportunities to TAKE AWAY those cars for free!

solid155
20th May 2004, 07:50 PM
We've (family) owned Toyota's since early 80's. Pops has an 82 Celica GT that has been hot-rodded and converted back to OEM, it now has 310,000 miles and still runing. I still own a 1990 4WD p/u with 150,000 miles which is my work horse truck. Mom used to own an 84 Supra and had 110,000 miles on it before it was totalled from an accident. So long as you keep up with their maintenance, they last and last.

Of course I LOVE driving my SAAB! :cheesy:

Willy Wonka
20th May 2004, 09:03 PM
I own a 1 ton box truck, dual wheels, built on a toyota chassis.
It works and with the help of 90-140 weight oil in the engine doesn't knock too much. I did buy another engine for it, $25. I can't quite bring myself to working on a toyota. What I have found is that their engineering is very precise and their safety margins are very small. If you exceed a design tolerance, there isn't much extra designed in. Because of the boring nature of the vehicle who cares.

Rumor had it that they used the precessional frequency of their milling machines, when designing, to create the same standing wave at each cut pass. The result was supposedly an undulation that was constant from one edge of a journal to the other. The effect was a psuedo oil pump. What is true is that they have the metrology and state of the art mills. They also have access to new steel plants.

Dan1
20th May 2004, 09:12 PM
i think of toyota as i do of all those japanese look-alikes. cheap, reliable, good cars with absolutely no personality and the sex-appeal of a dead-giraffe.

SaabScott
20th May 2004, 09:44 PM
Some of them are made about 90 minutes west of me ... they have to be good if they are Canadian! :wink: :cheesy:

jetman
20th May 2004, 09:52 PM
Most reliable vehicle I ever had was a 1978 'Yo' pickup. Total POS for $150. No box so we built a wood deck. Put over 100,000km on it to take it to a total of 465,000. Blew a main seal and drove it home with no oil (20 min) Truck did another 50,000 km after that with no problems. Eventually rusted to nothing. Gave the motor to some guy who is still probably running it in his truck.

Saba
20th May 2004, 10:12 PM
I've owned two Camrys (yeah I admit it), Boring, comfortable car but oh so reliable. Apart from servicing I don't think I spent a cent on them over 8 years between them. They're not the sort of cars you would spend any extra on anyway. If I was a taxi driver I would have one again.

Willy Wonka
20th May 2004, 10:27 PM
-appeal of a dead-giraffe.
You that right.
They've tried all sorts of designers too. It's something in the concept. Sort of like building a better train or bus. Nice except ... unexciting.
Just had an epiphany. That's why they add wings to the backs of the cars. 8)

MonkeyMan
20th May 2004, 10:44 PM
Whoooooooo AE86 Corolla! 8)

Or of course the 3rd gen Supra TT is rather...incredible.

Putting those aside, we had a 1990 Camry 5 speed for 10 years, put something like 240,000 on it before the timing chain broke (fortunately in a parking lot) and the rust started getting bad. It was slow as death, ugly as hell, and got 40mpg. Sort of wish I had it now for my daily commute! :P Save alot on gas, and no worry about speeding!

However, I would NEVER take a new toyota. I really hate them. I'd take a prius I guess...but then again that's just for the mileage.

BEN

ragtopcav
21st May 2004, 08:45 AM
Toyota, hmm, anyone on here read the book 'Lean Thinking' by Womack and Jones? if not go away read it then pass comment on Toyota.

Value Stream Mapping, 5 why's, 7 wastes, Takt time, Kaizen [just in time], continuous improvement, is only a small chunk of the way they do things, ahh it's all flooding back too me.

yfs87
21st May 2004, 09:17 AM
i wouldnt get a toyota...unless it was a supra :cheesy: :wink:

Rhino2.3t
21st May 2004, 11:41 AM
thoughts on toyota :D

Hi-Lux : god's own pickup (not some poncey overweight effort)
mkI MR2: still the best handling they ever made with brilliant nintendo stylé gearshift and rare supercharger.
Supra: still the weapon of choice for the professional dart player.

Then they go rusty unless you live in a desert, even the greats have little real character, but all eternally reliable........

Naranto
21st May 2004, 11:49 AM
Had a Toyotra Spacecruiser for several years. 7 seater MPV.

Totally reliable, prone to rust, boring to drive.

Rhino2.3t
21st May 2004, 11:55 AM
i went on a camping trip in a spacecruiser once.. there's only so much entertainment that 7 dralon seats and a pair of moonroofs can provide. it was a joy to get on the ferry part of the journey, so that the ride smoothed out a bit :cheesy:

Gordy
21st May 2004, 12:05 PM
This week I've been mostly driving a 52 plate MR2. It's OK I suppose. I only really enjoy it when the roof is down.

93-4ME
21st May 2004, 12:39 PM
I am an engineer at NUMMI which is the joint venture between Toyota and GM. I have worked there since 1991.

I have been to Japan and visited several TMC auto plants.

Kaizen, Jishuken, 5-whys, Practical Problem Solving, Pakayoke, etc.....

It all comes down to common sense.
- Keep it simple.
- Anything can be improved.
- Standardization of process is key. Without standards you don't know where you are or where you are going.
- Buid quality in station.

The pathetic thing is that an American got the ball rolling after WWII.

BTW, I prefer Honda to Toyota. More emotion and engineering style in Hondas.

dano1atty
21st May 2004, 01:33 PM

Yeah, me too. And I have owned them both. :wink:

valbowski1980
21st May 2004, 02:37 PM

Yeah, me too. And I have owned them both. :wink:

I'm with you guys here.

Munki
21st May 2004, 02:40 PM
Hmmmm, whilst Toyota do make some very good motor vehicles I'm afraid you just can't forgive them for this pile of cack... :evil:

http://www.drivein24.ch/fotoauto/Toyota/Toyota%20Corolla%201.6%20Luna%205P%20grigio.jpg

bearclaw
21st May 2004, 03:27 PM
ARRRFFF!!! What is THAT?!!! Looks like a runaway from a facility doing evil experiments on old Neons (because no one would ever miss them if they disappeared)
(and where did you get the pic, looks like a left-hand-drive, cars in background driving on correct side of the road :cheesy:)

Whoooooooo AE86 Corolla! 8)

Hey! That's my commuting ride! Well, I know, it's not very inspiring, and you can time the acceleration with a sundial, but it's comfy as an old easy chair, has some creature comforts and gets 35 mpg. It's got 191K now and in 12 years, the only thing outside of routine maint. that I've had to replace is an alternator.

My daughter's boyfriend tells me they're good for "drifting". I had to search the web to know what he was talking about. I'm thinking they're talking about a GTS, not mine. And definitely not an automatic.

Stefano
21st May 2004, 03:45 PM
ARRRFFF!!! What is THAT?!!! Looks like a runaway from a facility doing evil experiments on old Neons (because no one would ever miss them if they disappeared)
(and where did you get the pic, looks like a left-hand-drive, cars in background driving on correct side of the road :cheesy:)

It's the Corolla Toyota used to sell in Europe a few years ago, and it was I think the first Corolla model ever sold in Italy. 1.3, 1.6 L petrol engines and a 2.0L Diesel. Frend has a G6 model, 6 speeds and some carbon inserts in the dash, nice car if you ask me. Black looks much better than silver, and the 3 doors had a lot better looking hatch than the 5.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:WZvA-qKN_SYJ:212.112.161.169/ad_pics_new/59/59848

Willy Wonka
21st May 2004, 10:30 PM
[quote="Munki"]Hmmmm, whilst Toyota do make some very good motor vehicles I'm afraid you just can't forgive them for this pile of cack... :evil:
A toyaneon. We don't have'm here. Thank God. :lol:

bassist5
21st May 2004, 10:44 PM
Hmmmm, whilst Toyota do make some very good motor vehicles I'm afraid you just can't forgive them for this pile of cack... :evil:

http://www.drivein24.ch/fotoauto/Toyota/Toyota%20Corolla%201.6%20Luna%205P%20grigio.jpg

What the flying f*** is that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! *runs and hides* I hope I never see it again..

900t
21st May 2004, 11:11 PM
I like it more than this:
http://toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/3/wo/Home.Vehicles.f-SPYf7bUBqxVlgOhP23jNxM/17.9.0.1?%2e%2e%2fvehicles%2findex%2ehtml
look at that one with the black bumpers! Worst is a white 2-dr with black bumpers, oh so ugly!

Modified for better appearance:
http://www.taprecycling.com/image-inv/030186.jpg

Vector-SS
22nd May 2004, 12:51 AM
A very respectable, reliable, and hassle free company that offers a wide variety of vehicles for different people. But they need to get a bit more innovative. (maybe thats why they are reliable) :roll: