Electric Supercharger [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Electric Supercharger

kjj
13th July 2002, 09:47 PM
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

Has anyone ever tried putting one of these on a Turbo? Would it just confuse the APC?

niko
14th July 2002, 07:11 AM
For turbo motor:
I think it will restrict the intake air from the filter when the turbo will start to push.
Morever, your final pressure in the intake manifold will not be for example 14psi(turbo) + 1psi (e-ram) as the two system are in series (not in parallel).
When the turbo start to suck air, this little system will be satured (if in operation) restricting air in the inside side of the turbo.
And when the turbo is not in operation (low rpm), the system will probably give 0.069bar, maybe it will help the turbo for spool up (but I think that we can consider that this 0.069bar is just a "measuring error" from the pressure gauge and that with or without the system, we will not see any improvement)
NB: It's writing on the explications :
"The eRAM is designed for low duty cycle use and therefore is on only when you are at full throttle. (A small micro switch on the accelerator linkage or gas pedal, routes battery power to the fan unit.) "
That's not compatible with turbo motor because :"it will DOES NOT RESTRICT YOUR INTAKE when not in operation" !!!!(Cf. first page). I will write "it will does not restrict your intake WHEN NOT IN OPERATION"

So what ? I have to use the system at full throttle BUT it will restrict my intake when in operation !!! Let this system in the trash.

Keith
14th July 2002, 03:45 PM
http://www.saab-900.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1852&forum=4

murphwiz
14th July 2002, 04:07 PM
Its a blumming 12v computer fan, mounted in a nice housing to help sell it in droves to the 'ricer' boys of the good ole usa

kjj
14th July 2002, 06:57 PM
That's a pretty badass computer fan...

All the EDF units I've found give stats of interest only to model aircrafy builders, such as Netwons of thrust instead of somethign useful to me.

You can pick these up on eBay for like $40, if you know how to find them, so I think my brother is going to get one for his NA Subaru and I'll see if I can borrow it first to see if it does any good on a turbo car.

I'm guessing that the turbo in my car is capable of pushing more air than the APC thinks is safe for the engine, so I doubt there'll be any benefit other than the potential for a slight lag reduction.