GPS [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: GPS

JSBing430
16th May 2004, 02:53 PM
When is GPS going to be available on U.S. saabs????

SS
16th May 2004, 06:08 PM
I am pretty sure it will be available for the years of 2005 and onward!

squishmann
16th May 2004, 07:50 PM
i hope it's an improved system over the one they have in europe

BlackSaab
16th May 2004, 07:59 PM
i hope it's an improved system over the one they have in europe

Why? What's so bad in the european version? I have the Navi System and I really like it. Took me yesterday to a cinema where I have never been. No Problems, took me there right on the spot, even rerouted me cause one of the suggested roads had been closed for road works. Was no problem, 5 seconds later I got the new route. ;)

rando67
16th May 2004, 09:37 PM
If you have OnStar unit, you can tap into the GPS there.

Here is a helpful link:
http://members.cox.net/onstar/

squishmann
17th May 2004, 12:58 AM
things that could be improved

-touchscreen
-voice activation
-dvd/hard drive based

i would also like to see bluetooth and Xm radio featured. also a cd/mp3 player

USNA '00
17th May 2004, 01:42 AM
It already is DVD based. The unit mounts to the media rack in the trunk.

BlackSaab
17th May 2004, 07:13 AM
things that could be improved

-touchscreen
-voice activation
-dvd/hard drive based

i would also like to see bluetooth and Xm radio featured. also a cd/mp3 player

Ok..so let's see:

- Touchscreen: didn't want one, I allready hate the fingerprints on the screen now from some dumb people touching on it like "Oh look there we are on the map!". Looks ugly and dirty when the sun/light hits the screen and you can see all those spots.

- Voice activation: Mmm...ok, would be a nice gadget, but today the voice recognition is not so good I think to manage to analyse routing infos like: "Take me to Saxenhausen." or "Take me to the Adickesalle". ;) Both town and street are real in Frankfurt/Main. You have some kind of voice recog. in the ES3 with the internal phone for dialing, muting, etc.

- DVD Base: It is allready DVD Based. Got only one disk in the trunk with whole europe on it inkl. a few thousand Point-of-interests . So, allready done by Saab.

Bluetooth: Is available in the internal phone kit (TEL2). Bluetooth and the phone with GPRS support, Voice dialing/recog., in-car SMS send and receive, WAP via the TFT screen of the Navigation System. So, no prob.

XM: Don't know XM, we don't have it here in germany. But you could use the AUX-IN to put an external xm radio trough the sound system.

So, except the touch-screen and voice recog. everything is in the car. The only thing I can't understand is that you won't be able to buy it in the USA. Funny?!

mbodo
17th May 2004, 02:13 PM

Here is a helpful link:

I suppose if you have that much time on your hands .. and you're going to MIT .. then it would be of value ;-)

Larakin
17th May 2004, 02:18 PM
My local mechanic is pretty sure that the Navi Unit will bwe available in the US Sometime this year. He was reciently trianed on installation and troublshooting of the system on all 9-3SS's

rando67
17th May 2004, 06:12 PM
I suppose if you have that much time on your hands .. and you're going to MIT .. then it would be of value ;-)

I guess you had to assume and shoot the messenger :!
Makes me wonder why you were in the Mods & Tuning forum in the first place. :roll:

And no, it takes probably the same amount of time getting AUX-in set-up as it takes to connecting with the GPS unit. And yes, I wear a MIT in the winter to keep my hand warm when I drive my 9-3. The other hand without MIT is on the Sentronic shifter. Never been a Mechanic In Training. And yes, it would be of value if you really want it - dah. :cheesy:

JSBing430
18th May 2004, 02:57 PM
Reply from saab:
Thank you for contacting the Saab Cars USA Customer Interaction Center.

The navigational system will be available as an option on all 2005 9-3
and 9-5 models. It will not be available on the 9-2X.

For more information, please contact our Lead Management Team at (800)
722-2872.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

mattrazzo
25th May 2004, 12:06 AM

Here is a helpful link:

That's sweet. Super easy too - a couple of solders, a serial port, and you're ready. Now I just need to get an iPaq or something small that will run a GPS app.

Sure I could run my laptop, but a little more integrated would be nice. :)