Come and join Gripen Saab at Duxford 12/09/04 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Come and join Gripen Saab at Duxford 12/09/04

boxman
15th May 2004, 10:23 AM
gripen saab have once again arranged with the imperial war museum for us to attend a meet at duxford on sunday 12th september for a secial price of 16 per car, although there is no scheduled flying on that day it is exellent value.
we will have our mini marquee and a designated parking area inside the grounds, there is no formal pattern to the day so you can come and go around the various exhibits and hangers as you please.
duxford is a superb museum, take a look here (http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/) then come and join us

Simon
15th May 2004, 10:42 AM
It was a great day out last year! Hopefully I'll get to see the rest of the exhibits I didn't have time to see last year!

[1]Simon & Rubina
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]

pda
15th May 2004, 12:47 PM
it was a great day last year :wink:

[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]

Dave B
15th May 2004, 01:08 PM
Yep count me in again too!

[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]

Mark P
15th May 2004, 03:39 PM
Yep, both myself and my little boy Joseph had a great time last year.

[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5]
[6]
[7]

Jezzadee
16th May 2004, 04:12 AM
Sounds good.

[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6]
[7]

Diggler
17th May 2004, 02:13 PM
I wish I could. Duxford is beautiful! I was there a few years back. Too bad I won't be in the UK in Sep. or any time soon.
-Dirk

Dead Centre
19th May 2004, 04:44 PM
Yep count me and little Saab in. He's nuts on planes at the moment.

[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[7]

ragtopcav
20th May 2004, 05:07 AM
[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[7] Ragtopcav and probably all of the rest of us, we'll be in the ng900, a proper 5 seater :cheesy:
[8]
[9]
[10]

heavy_t
21st May 2004, 02:20 AM
Hey boxman, were you there last year? I might have already met you? I had the REALLY old 99 :cheesy:

boxman
26th May 2004, 07:51 AM
yep i was there last yearin my black cd carlsson

boxman

Orca
4th July 2004, 01:08 PM
[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[7] Ragtopcav and probably all of the rest of us, we'll be in the ng900, a proper 5 seater :cheesy:
[8] Orca & Mrs Orca (Paul & Debo)
[9]
[10]

Count us in ... my father might tag along as well ... we're saavy with Daimler owners, aren't we :-??

pda
4th July 2004, 03:46 PM
Great 2 Cirrus white T8`s will be at Duxford
T8 power :cheesy: :cheesy:

well done Paul & Mrs Paul :wink: :wink:

Paul

Ukjay74
5th July 2004, 02:26 AM
sounds like it could be fun :D
i hope to pick up a 84' 900t in a couple of weeks my first saab so will probaly trun up there if i sort the car:D:D

Inspector Gadget
10th July 2004, 05:05 PM
[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[7] Ragtopcav and probably all of the rest of us, we'll be in the ng900, a proper 5 seater
[9] Inspector Gadget and Gadget Inspector
[10]

Orca
10th July 2004, 05:42 PM
Yay :! Les :wink: & Stephanie ... It'll be great to see you two again. Looking forward to it ... we might get Iggy's name right this time, guys :-?? :nono;

Orca
10th July 2004, 05:47 PM
i hope to pick up a 84' 900t in a couple of weeks my first saab so will probaly trun up there if i sort the car:D:D

Hope so ... the '84T is a nice looking car (fast, too) - is it body kitted? Inquiring minds need to know ... good luck with getting it.

Ukjay74
13th July 2004, 10:26 AM

Hope so ... the '84T is a nice looking car (fast, too) - is it body kitted? Inquiring minds need to know ... good luck with getting it.

Well i got the car :D :D It isnt kitted but hoping to get it kitted on the look out for an aero kits at some point

Well i think i will defo make the duxford meet :cheesy: :cheesy:

Ukjay74
13th July 2004, 10:28 AM
[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[7] Ragtopcav and probably all of the rest of us, we'll be in the ng900, a proper 5 seater
[10] Ukjay + family In me pink 84 t8 :cheesy:

Orca
13th July 2004, 04:59 PM
Excellent :! We need pictures Jay ...

Dude - the '84 is a flat nose .. don't do the body kit, please. Those old bumper cars are great without ... fancy swapping?

Ukjay74
13th July 2004, 05:07 PM
orca only pics i have of the t8 are in the lounge under new to saab central :D i plan on getting some more over the next few days :D

Inspector Gadget
13th July 2004, 05:25 PM
Any one know where I can get the correct size genuine Saab rear number plate bolts?

IG

Orca
13th July 2004, 05:33 PM
Any one know where I can get the correct size genuine Saab rear number plate bolts?

Iggy- that's a bit random :cheesy: Presumably off the back of another 900 :-?? I'm converting mine to Vauxhall Corsa standard next time ... the plate is stuck to a couple of brackets that sit slightly away from the body. I suppose I can drill new holes for the bracket and stick the plate directly to it .. take a look ar one in a supermarket car park :wink:

Inspector Gadget
13th July 2004, 05:42 PM
Need to get the right bolts, the uk type get seized in and shear off leaving a nasty removal job... My plate was double sided sticky taped in place but is now wedged in the rear window behind the high level brake light (ideal position for speed cam avoidance) due to carp DSST hence my need for the right bolts....

IG

Orca
13th July 2004, 05:53 PM
ideal position for speed cam avoidance

Okay, the problem is .... :cheesy:

My mate (biker) deliberately rides withan illegal sized number plate since failure to display a correctly sized/placed registration plate is cheaper than being "got" by a gatso :! ... or "yeah, right" caught by the Rozzers ... car vs bike ... hmmm!

Sorry, can't help you .. other than to say they're bolt shaped :wink:

nutcase
13th July 2004, 05:58 PM
Apart from Saab themselves, i can't help either. I preusme you've tried all the local factors?

CaptRossco
13th July 2004, 06:09 PM
Dude - the '84 is a flat nose .. don't do the body kit, please. Those old bumper cars are great without ... fancy swapping?

Firstly-dude, do it, the flat nose on a bodypack is sweet, damn fine. :cheesy:

second:
1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[10] Ukjay + family In me pink 84 t8
[11] Rossco (providing ive a car)

Hey, do they have any pipers I can go do a few circuits in? Iggy, fancy being Right Hand seat? Failing that, a lightning or Mustang or somehting of the like will do just fine! :cheesy: ......

"whats the rotation speed of a lightning........, :roll: , who cares full throttle, stick back, sounds good" :cheesy:

Ukjay74
13th July 2004, 06:16 PM

Firstly-dude, do it, the flat nose on a bodypack is sweet, damn fine. :cheesy:

I have to say thanks mate for backing my plan up as i think the **** looks a little bare on me motor and want a decent cover on it :lol: :lol: :lol:

look forward to meeting you guys at the meet

nutcase
25th August 2004, 05:04 PM
Was kind of hoping to make it to this, as it's nearby and I havn't been to Duxford for years - but that's the weekend of my Brother and his American family's "Meet the family" weekend. Which means things are going to be a touch hectic (and it'd be rude for me not to be there!).

Orca
25th August 2004, 05:07 PM
That's a shame - I'm really looking forward to seeing your 99. Can't you let one of the other Essex boys drive it up to the meet :-?? :nono;

Enjoy the family do, anyway ... they're always kind of fun ... usually you can get away with drinking a lot of someone else's drinks :oops: 8)

nutcase
25th August 2004, 05:35 PM
Nobody's going near my 99 when I'm not driving it :D Besides, it's likely to be blocked in somewhat!

Not a drinking occasion - besides, i think I'm going to end up being too busy chaperoning or something! Or hopefully hiding somewhere quiet!

Ukjay74
25th August 2004, 06:08 PM
shame your not gonna make it rich would have liked to see the 99 again

rage
10th September 2004, 01:51 PM
[1] Simon & Rubina
[2] pda & family
[3] Dave B
[4] Mark P and Joseph
[5] Jezzadee
[6] Dead & mini Dead
[10] Ukjay + family In me pink 84 t8
[11] Rossco (providing ive a car)
[12] rage (hopefully!)

pda
10th September 2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Paul,

is that the lovely VBH :wink: :wink:

are you bringing her on Sunday(I wish) :cheesy: :cheesy:

Paul

Matthew
10th September 2004, 03:08 PM
It looks like the chick out of The Hitman and Her :o Now wot was her name...

Dead Centre
10th September 2004, 03:44 PM
Mathew wrote:
It looks like the chick out of The Hitman and Her Now wot was her name...

Michala strachan?

My mate many many years ago grabbed her up her skirt whilst on camera in a club. He was chased and ejected by the doorman but it was funny on the TV. :cheesy: ah when young.

Dead

Orca
10th September 2004, 04:06 PM
Right guys, we're travelling down tomorrow morning to stay with family until the meeting on Sunday.

I'll bring my multimeter and portable boost gauge if anyone wants their APC box checking or basic boost setting up with a calibrated gauge. Can someone print out the APC matrix from Widde's site? The one with all the F P and resistor settings for all the known boxes? Ta - I don't have a printer.

I got my car back today from my mechanics (Aeromotive) and she's running sweet and sexy ... 8) She's got that perfect T8 growl on overrun 8) They'd done a good tune up (fluid & filter changes, timing, fueling, etc), along with making my brakes safe and doing a spot of re-spraying ... and no, my OSF wing has not been replaced yet, so she still looks a little lop-sided :oops:

Mark P - any news on your crazy 8:-??
Inspector Gadget - bring the Ruby 8) ... erm, and the wife :cheesy:

Other than that, I hope to have a great day meeting SAAB people and looking at some airplanes. See you there.

pda
10th September 2004, 11:01 PM
I`ll be first then Paul for minor checks to base boost & APC settings then :wink: :wink:

can`t wait for the first AGM of Cirrus White T8 Chapter 8) 8)

Paul

rage
11th September 2004, 09:01 AM
is that the lovely VBH :wink: :wink:

Yeah it is, i bumped into her again at Snetterton again on sunday 8) My avatar is cr4p cos i`m not too hot at resizing pics :oops:

I`m having a spot of APC trouble at the mo, maybe get that sorted on sunday. At least i`m holding boost now.

Even if it is with a MBC :nono;

pda
11th September 2004, 10:16 AM
not the MBC again :nono; :nono;

remember "bang-bang" detenation warning mate :o :o

was VBH sitting down..... I know your tall but :!

did you get her autograph across the bonnet of the T16S :cheesy: :cheesy:

Paul

rage
11th September 2004, 10:36 AM
Sitting? Oh yeah on my knee :cheesy:

I`d only just got the T16s going again so we took my mates Cavalibra.

Yeah i remember but i`m taking it easy now. Just want a bit more than the base boost it was running without :roll:
Maybe it can be fixed tomorrow?

boxman
11th September 2004, 03:10 PM
we are aiming to get to duxford at about 9- 9.30 in the morning and you need to go to the staff enterance and sign in, see you all tomorrow :cheesy: :cheesy:

pda
12th September 2004, 01:38 PM
It was another great day out :D :D
very good weather, a bit windy :-?

nice to meet a few new face`s & plenty of old one`s again :wink:
had a great chat to all those in the know.........

plenty of saabs again ranging from a 1964 "94" I think :oops:
to some newer 9-5`s/9-3`s
a pair of 99`s, two 9k`s,about 12 or so C900`s

todays popular colours were Cirrus White (4xC900`s) :cheesy:
plenty of 8v`s there too :cheesy:
people from far & wide....old & young....

Paul

Orca
12th September 2004, 04:00 PM
A good day indeed. We enjoyed a good chat in the morning, a stroll around the airfield and returned to the fold for some more SAAB chat and bonnet lifting 8)

There were indeed a good few eight valvers there ... we met a chap called Vlad whose car was wearing the "APC System" badge on the boot. Clocking him as a T8 kind o'guy, PDA & I had a good nose at the internals of his engine bay - this guy has the mother of all dizzy caps - transparent red :evil: with KV85s ... nice 8)

Good to meet some of you Suffolk? Essex? Sussex? boys too, even if your cars are equipped with too many valves :wink:

Vlad - it's Redline Motorsport (http://www.redlinemotorsport.co.uk/htmlhome.asp), by the way ... as discussed :wink:

Orca
12th September 2004, 04:15 PM
PDA - Awesome job on the pearl white grille. Superb job. I've got some photos, but it's an OG camera that needs the film developing, so I'll post them when I have them developed.

The cam cover and charge pipes look good too. Shame about the engine problem - it really does sound/feel like it's struggling to get something - either air or fuel ... or maybe doing something with the air and the fuel at the right time is the problem. Hopefully, you'll hear something from Heuschmidt soon. Meanwhile, get the air filter cleaned and have another go at the CO once you've done, say, a hundred miles on the clean filter. I think the EGR might be a red herring. I really think the timing is at fault. Removal of the EGR on a car as old as ours does give a substantial punch in the mid-range though :!

All that said, the car does move on the road though. xx0 MPH is reached very quickly when the car is on the road 8)

ragtopcav
12th September 2004, 08:43 PM
Cheers to Gripensaab for arranging the day, Duxford is quite a day out [actually takes more than a day to even do a quick tour :o ]
I only took a pic of one Saab, the missus Angua read the performance spec and decided she wanted one, one to match this, there she is with our wee boy Angus.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ragtopcav/Drakken.jpg

I enjoyed watching Sally B going up and down all afternoon :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ragtopcav/sallyBtaxiing.jpg
BTW, Sally B doubles up as Memphis Bell, very much of the movie fame.

SR 71, in the hanger dedicated to USA, try explaining 3 times the speed of sound to a 5 year old :o
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ragtopcav/sr71.jpg

OK, something special, name that plane!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ragtopcav/concorde101.jpg

So OK back to the cars, a few 9-5's and a couple of 9000's, some pleasant old 99's, but what is it with the old 900's? why always at a meet, up goes a bonnet! are they that bad to keep going? :lol: :wink:

Orca
13th September 2004, 03:19 AM
Having had a few now, I believe that the classic 900 runs much better if the bonnet is raised at least twice a week - it keeps the hinges from siezing up and despite common belief trolls do enjoy a little sunlight. Meets are special - bonnets should be lifted as a matter of course. Our trolls can climb out and have a wander about, meet other trolls (even old trolls from 99s, 96s, et al enjoy enjoy doing this) and generally laze around for the day before getting thrashed on the drive home.

Classic 900 drivers meanwhile like to look at engines exactly the same as theirs in someone else's car :cheesy: It really matters how the pipes are laid out and whether you're into silicon or rubber :oops: Regardless, B201 engines are always a sight to behold 8)

nutcase
13th September 2004, 10:06 AM
OK, something special, name that plane!

Tupolev TU-144 as a wild guess! Doesn't look like the prototype concorde thay have there, and that's the next nearest I could think of :)

Stuart
13th September 2004, 12:11 PM
I enjoyed watching Sally B going up and down all afternoon :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ragtopcav/sallyBtaxiing.jpg
BTW, Sally B doubles up as Memphis Bell, very much of the movie fame.

Me and my mates were in that film - it was filmed one hot summer on location at RAF Binbrook in Lincolnshire; great fun being an extra - got fed, watered and paid 30 a day for mostly lying around in the sun (making films is a v. boring process..).

One of the B17's crashed one day - luckily no-one was badly hurt.

pda
13th September 2004, 12:47 PM
Nutcase you were right second time its concorde 8) 8)

as for C900`s they always need the bonnets up at meets its a Ancient Swedish Ritual... :wink: :wink:

never mind the trolls I`ve got ELKS in mine :cheesy:

Glad you liked the T8 Orca......but its normally faster than that :oops: :oops:

can`t wait to see the pictures :cheesy: :cheesy:

Paul

nutcase
13th September 2004, 12:57 PM
Nutcase you were right second time its concorde 8) 8)

Is it? They finally got it inside! And looks like they've done something with the engines? Mind you, it's been at least 10 years since I've been to Duxford, so it's probably exactly as last time, buy my memory's rubbish!

pda
13th September 2004, 01:44 PM
it was in the hanger (number 1) last year as well..
as for the engines there blanking covers to stop birds/people from climbing into the engines.......... :nono;
as if anyone would :o :o

Paul

nutcase
13th September 2004, 02:19 PM
I was thinking more along the lines you can actually SEE them. I guess I was thinking the prototype was closer to teh production birds with enclosed engines under the wings.

It has been a LONG time ;)

I really must make it fown to the next Saab do there :oops:

Orca
19th September 2004, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

The pictures ...

It was a pleasant day and good to meet a number of people I only know from this forum board and from SAAB Central. Here are a few favourite pictures (http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/index.html).

The SAABs ...
http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/image/1_saabs.jpg

First AGM of the "Cirrus white SAAB 900 T8s owned by Paul" Chapter of the UK SOC (Unofficial) 8)
BTW, great to meet one half of the "Blue T16s owned by people whose names start with J and end with Y" chapter :)

"A nice pair ..."
http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/image/6_uksoc_t8obp_agm_001.jpg

"A right pair ..."
http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/image/7_uksoc_t8obp_agm_002.jpg

PDA's shiny B201 8)
http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/image/4_pda_b201_001.jpg

PDA's well cared for T8. He's done a great job on the grille - it's pearl white, the centre bar has been removed and the black mesh is fixed to the grille in three parts to avoid that problem whereby the mesh sits about and inch behind the grille 8) ... note to self ... :roll:
http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/image/3_pda_900t8.jpg

Still, Orca is in front :evil:
http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/duxford_040912/image/2_orca_900t8.jpg

pda
19th September 2004, 01:41 PM
great pics 8) 8)

it was a great day out at the first........

"AGM of the Cirrus White T8 Chapter"

it was good that all the other saabs turned up as well :cheesy: :cheesy:

Paul

fliptopbin
21st September 2004, 05:31 PM
Did anybody happen to meet a chap called Dave Parry there? I think he is the Chairman or something of Gripen Saab (if I am right in remembering that that is the Peterborough "chapter" of the SOC)? I think he drives a 9k these days.

I just ask cos I bought his T16S a couple of months ago!

ragtopcav
21st September 2004, 07:29 PM
Did anybody happen to meet a chap called Dave Parry there? I think he is the Chairman or something of Gripen Saab (if I am right in remembering that that is the Peterborough "chapter" of the SOC)? I think he drives a 9k these days.

:lol: So it was you?? :lol:

Joke, don't worry, just being silly

boxman
22nd September 2004, 07:01 AM

how is the t16s :-?? it is a fine example :cheesy:

dave now owns a 9-5 didnt keep the cs for long :roll:

fliptopbin
27th September 2004, 01:25 PM
It's doing very well :)

Now on 119600 miles, had a major service a couple of months ago.

Had a problem with the hall effect sensor going bad on the distibutor, but it was fixed easily enough :)

Polishes up very nicely too! Some light tweaking planned in the new year possibly, but going to stay a daily driver so nothing to hardcore.

This would seem an ideal opportunity to post a picture of it with some friends ;) Mine's on the right!

http://www.helloleum.demon.co.uk/pub/black50pc.jpg