saab 900 advice, please - to buy or not to buy [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: saab 900 advice, please - to buy or not to buy

deniss
13th May 2004, 01:36 AM
Hi all,

I'm in New Jersey, USA, and I just came across two listings for saab 900 near me, and I am interested to have a look at these...

1) "1987 Saab 900 SPG special edition turbo, 5sp manual, 160K miles, pwr windows, pwr locks, pwr sunroof. Dark gray ext, with gray leather int. Service records back to '98 - all work done by Saab master mechanic. Good condition".

Asking price: 2600 USD

2) "For sale 1988 white Saab 900 Turbo. Good general condition. A/C, sunroof, 110K miles. Negotiable"

Asking price: 2400 USD

What do you think are good deal prices for me on both of these? Are these good Saabs to buy, or should I be looking for 90s model years?

Thanks!!

Paco
13th May 2004, 06:34 AM
Buy the SPG!!! The price sounds fair, try to knock 10% off for the hell of it :wink:

It will have a front hand-brake, but that's not the end of the world, just make sure it works ok.

yfs87
13th May 2004, 08:50 AM
def the spg man...i want one lol..im not even that far away.. :wink: 8)

deniss
13th May 2004, 09:30 AM
yea, I want the SPG too... I haven't seen the car yet to know what condition it's in, but I'll keep you posted when I get a chance to have a good look... ;)

deniss
13th May 2004, 10:27 AM
by the way, for this sort of model year and mileage, what should i ask him about the car, and what sort of weaknesses is it expected to have? the manual gearbox is one, i'm sure... what are some of the others?

Paco
13th May 2004, 10:40 AM
Given your location, look out for rust, around the front suspension and behind the n/s/r wheel (look in the spare wheel well in the trunk, you'll see!) as well as doors, bonnet etc usual stuff.

Look at the state of the oil, and make sure it gets full boost, if not it's a good bargaining tool and usually easy to fix. Make sure it doesn't smoke too!

Anything else applies to all C900's really.

deniss
13th May 2004, 06:08 PM
Alright, I know a little more info now. I haven't seen the car, but I talked to the guy about the SPG.

From what he says, it gives excellent boost, well into the yellow, and even "scary", he says. He says the engine seems fine, and the tranny is very possibly original. He says the spring that centers the stick died, so you sort of have to position the stick yourself, but otherwise the tranny works fine, doesn't grind, doesn't pop out of gears, etc. He seems like someone who knows what he's talking about with this car. Seems like he did some "minor" work on it himself, like replacing some hoses, etc.

He purchased this car from a Saab mechanic who fixed her up... Replaced master cylinder, clutch, AC, fuel pump, and a bunch of other things. He says right now the car overheats a bit and he suspects thermostat fault - he said he might have it repaired before the sale... Maybe not.

He says the leather isn't ripped, but well-worn. The headliner is bad. Heated seats worked intermittently, so he disconnected the heaters.

Oh yea, and the speedometer needle starts wobbling above like 75mph... I mean, it would not give a precise reading... How much is this to fix?

So I guess it sounds like he's got a good basic car with a few cosmetic blemishes.

What kind of a price should I be targeting? 1987 SPG...I don't think I'd pay $2600 for it... Around $2000-2200 might be good, though - not sure yet if he'll go for that.

I guess when I actually SEE and DRIVE this car, I will have more feeling about what sort of a condition it's actually in.