Water Pump Cover [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Water Pump Cover

Marcel Gabbay
12-05-04, 10:45 AM
As some of you may know my 1980 900 Turbo has been losing a lot a cooling fluid and I was advised to replace the water pump. I have just received the parts from Hagstrom Saab but the cover is not the same as the original but the same as the one we used in July 2002 when we could not find the original which has a straight 1" pipe and a bent 1 1/4" pipe to the left of it whereas the repllacement has a 1 1/4" and a 5/8" pipe (both straigt but the 5/8" much shorter).
The pump received is just an impeller with a ball bearing and helical gear base and a couple of rings (washers?) in between the impeller and the bearing. I just can't see how this is going to stop the leak. I was told the pump has a bleeding gland which is the cause of the leak. Where is it?
Please Help!

cdaly
12-05-04, 01:15 PM
The bleeding gland is related to the pump's bearing. When the bearing wears, the seal goes and coolant leaks out below the pulley. A new pump, as you describe, should fix this problem.

Jezzadee
12-05-04, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with it. I'm surprised Hagstrom sent the newer one, since I often have trouble getting bits new enough for my 1991 off him, since most of his parts are for older models. I just found this - hope it helps.

http://68.18.129.154/cooling_system_folder/benginewaterpumppg1.htm