Michael Mauer leaves Saab for Porsche [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Michael Mauer leaves Saab for Porsche

Nairda
11th May 2004, 05:45 PM
Michael Mauer has been appointed chief of design for Porsche AG.
http://cardesignnews.com/news/2004/040510porsche-mauer/index.html

9000anni
11th May 2004, 06:23 PM
He must like car manufacturers who's model numbers all start with 9 :)

Oliver
11th May 2004, 07:00 PM
... and Chris Bangle comes to join Trolhattan as head of design??

saabluster
11th May 2004, 07:19 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Say it is'nt so! :cry: :cry: :cry: He is pure genuis. I just hope he has been able to affect the future products of Saab. We have not yet seen a full car(production) from him yet. This is a sad sad day for Saab :cry: :cry: .

ragtopcav
11th May 2004, 08:16 PM
Next year I start the design phase of my automotive manufacture engineering degree, is that a vacancy I see :cheesy: . Or will Ford keep me?

garry
11th May 2004, 08:25 PM
One man can not create the optimal results required.... It is the team that one man can create and orchestrate that will generate and finalize the desired solutions.

Michael Mauer was not that man......

And GM need to wake up to what they are about to loose.... Not Michael Mauer, he's a capable nobody... but SAAB itself.

Wake up, smell the cheese. Invest now and don't pussyfoot.

Mofflet
11th May 2004, 08:31 PM
... and Chris Bangle comes to join Trolhattan as head of design??

god i hope not!!, as a huge bmw fan im thinking of lynching him with his "one series" etc

i hope he doesn't release his creative brain farts on saab.

ragtopcav
11th May 2004, 08:36 PM
And GM need to wake up to what they are about to loose.... Not Michael Mauer, he's a capable nobody... but SAAB itself.

Wake up, smell the cheese. Invest now and don't pussyfoot. :nono; com'on Garry you must know it doesn't work like that. Why should GM worry about the opinions of the likes of us? we're neither willing or able [perhaps both] to chop in our old Saabs for a newbie, we don't fit in their business plan and as such have no opinion on what they do with Saab, only those whom have been involved with the latest products will have influence.

GearHead
11th May 2004, 09:45 PM
if he is the one who designed the 9-2X then he should be shot!Be glad he is gone.Now he can ruin porsche as well as saab... :roll:

Saabian
11th May 2004, 09:52 PM
Pfft, well the 9-2x is hardly a good judge of a designer's talents. Seeing as it's nothing more than a Subaru with a different front end. Anyone could have designed that. It's typical Saab. The rest of the car is Subaru's fault. And I really don't think it's that bad looking. It just looks like a Subaru. Not enough like a Saab.

-Ian

GearHead
11th May 2004, 10:05 PM
what ever floats your boat...

Willy Wonka
11th May 2004, 11:18 PM
Difficult to function within a matrix superimposed on a many interlinked pyramids. Funny that he is moving to a more autonomous organization. GM usually is usually quite good at allowing its key people to function, except when it's outside policy. But hey what do i know, I still can't understand how NG came about as an acronym, NFG as a name.

SPG900
12th May 2004, 03:17 AM
if he is the one who designed the 9-2X then he should be shot!Be glad he is gone.Now he can ruin porsche as well as saab... :roll:

That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read on here, period. You really have no idea, do you?

I'll try... The 9-2X is here because GM wanted it, not because Mauer or anyone at Saab wanted it. You design what they want you to design. If Porsche wants their next model to be a rebadged Metro, it'll come, no matter who their designer is. And finally, Michael Mauer is one of the best people currently out there, (partly) responsible for the 9-X, Merc SLK, Smart Roadster... All pretty innovative. A brilliant career for a guy his age. Honestly, don't post such crap.

MyOwnRoad
12th May 2004, 04:11 AM
The 9-2X is here because GM wanted it, not because Mauer or anyone at Saab wanted it. You design what they want you to design.

Only if Mauer and team really had free reign with the 9-2 design, that would've been a killer car. Because Saab's budget wasn't enough to design an all-new car, GM put restrictions on the 9-2 project, involving R&D costs and time constraints into getting the car to market. Pretty sure Mauer wasn't too thrilled when he was faced with just slapping a new front-end to a WRX.

In the end, it's always the top brass who makes the decisions whether if that great design on the drawing board is feasable for production.

SPG900
12th May 2004, 04:20 AM
The 9-2X is here because GM wanted it, not because Mauer or anyone at Saab wanted it. You design what they want you to design.

Only if Mauer and team really had free reign with the 9-2 design, that would've been a killer car.

Obviously. I'll rephrase: "The 9-2X IN ITS CURRENT FORM is here because GM wanted it, not because Mauer or anyone at Saab wanted it."

MyOwnRoad
12th May 2004, 04:30 AM
Obviously. I'll rephrase: "The 9-2X IN ITS CURRENT FORM is here because GM wanted it, not because Mauer or anyone at Saab wanted it."

Well yeah you got it right there.

But anyway, who will be successor? Could be someone in-house, perhaps Anthony Lo, head of advanced design.

saabluster
12th May 2004, 04:52 AM

, he's a capable nobody...
Gee lets see, Porsche, one of the only independant car companys left, which in this day and age is nothing short of astounding, wants him to head their designs. THINK about it!!

Saba
12th May 2004, 04:57 AM

, he's a capable nobody...
Gee lets see, Porsche, one of the only independant car companys left, which in this day and age is nothing short of astounding, wants him to head their designs. THINK about it!!Got a good resume hey?

saabluster
12th May 2004, 04:58 AM
Here is a question for you. Do you think he will take Anthony Lo with him? I seem to remember that they were close and that he brought Lo with him from M-B

Saba
12th May 2004, 05:08 AM
Another article about it

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1083180395470&referrer_id=yahoo&ft_ref=yahoo1&segid=03052