Defining the "SAAB" Owner: Hobbies and Interests [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Defining the "SAAB" Owner: Hobbies and Interests

The Swedish Bullet
11-05-04, 11:50 AM
The recent discussion of the "typical SAAB owner profile" has been around the statistics, which only tell part of the story. What defines us as individuals are the qualitative facts. A search of the Lounge threads revealed nothing in the way of SAAB owner hobbies and interests, so here goes:

What other hobbies and/or interests do you have, that you feel represent your personality?
And how much time and energy do you put towards it (them), compared with your car?
This should be interesting...

Mattlach
11-05-04, 11:55 AM
And how much time and energy do you put towards it (them), compared with your car?
This should be interesting...

Hmm.. Most of my weekends are spent composing and writing music with my lame wannabe band. (we are getting better though)

I spend very little time on my car as a hobby. (Once in a blue moon I'll srive it thorugh the car wash, or clean it. I have bought an ECU upgrade for it though.) Although I really like Saabs and really couldn't picture myself driving any other make, my car isn't a hobby.

My car is something that gets me where I need to go (and sometimes to work on music :) )

Saba
11-05-04, 12:16 PM
Well this is the first car I have put any time into (even though its brand new). Apart from cleaning it regularly, I have upgraded the audio (added 2 amps, replaced 6 speakers, added aux-in, PPC'd it and spent an inordinate amount of time on SaabCentral :o :cheesy: . My hobbies include painting (artistic) , woodwork, renovations but none would take up more time I spend on the car and SaabCentral. I have been toying with getting an older Saab as a project car and really getting my teeth into it. Just can't do that to a new one :o . If that happens then Saabs will be my main hobby. I think I'm a creative person and I guess my hobbies back that up.

Rhino2.3t
11-05-04, 12:31 PM
creative SAAB individuals everywhere 8) ..my spare time is filled with.. music.. composing, listening, playing.. buying guitars you don't really need (ha if there IS such a thing)
windsurfing (buying boards and kit you don't really need - see above).. powerboat racing (same again).. wakeboarding..
generally anything involving petrol, design/engineering, the ocean and greatest of outdoors.
That's not forgetting beer, cigarettes and pies (very important - but do they count as hobbies?)

sjhudon
11-05-04, 12:31 PM
This is the first car i've had that I take care of and spend time on. Other than working on my car I also divide my time evenly among getting drunk and flirting with women. that pretty much takes up most of my day 8) I also enjoy writing songs... helps in the women department as well.

The Swedish Bullet
11-05-04, 12:39 PM
creative SAAB individuals everywhere 8) ..my spare time is filled with.. music.. composing, listening, playing.. buying guitars you don't really need (ha if there IS such a thing)...That's not forgetting beer, cigarettes and pies (very important - but do they count as hobbies?)

I've always been into tinkering on cars. Oldsmobile, Mustang, Jimmy, Jetta, and now the SAAB (no turning back).
I also play guitar (and sing) with a band (we started as a hard rock band 5 yrs ago, now covering outlaw country (Johnny Cash, Waylon, etc.) with a rock edge.
Other than that, photography. I have my grandfatgher's old Leica (IIIf), and Pentax (K1000), and some darkroom equipment. Nature shots, portraits, architectural detail...
Carpentry and renovations... not enough time and no workshop yet though...
I also have some striong views on junk food: http://www.crispyfries.com.
Beer and cigarettes go well with all of the above.

roller girl
11-05-04, 12:42 PM
hmmm....we do spend a lot of time doing saab stuff...

other than that i do quite a bit of quality control on hops based beverages and there is nothing better than throwing on hiking boots and trecking through the woods or up a mtn....

my sister wants me to start "scrapbooking" with her :lol: :P :lol:

yeah hon, riiiight after i get my new suspenstion in :D

Rhino2.3t
11-05-04, 12:45 PM
mmm thats not forgettting the old camera! too many interests to rememeber in one go :-?

is there an arty photo thread? we could post some of this nonsense.. should anyone be interested :-??

Rhino2.3t
11-05-04, 12:47 PM
[quote="roller girl"]

just how would you go about fixing spare saab parts into a scrapbook?
'this is my duff alternator from 1996'
'ooh thats lovely dear'
8)

ragtopcav
11-05-04, 12:52 PM
All my hobbies are pretty much on hold, doing a part time degree has sapped all that time from me.
Typically I like mucking about with the old Cavalier as well as the two Saabs but it's little more than required maintainance on them for the time being. I had a job for a couple of years building guitars[electric] fantastic but the pay sucked, i'll still build one now and again I currently have 2 projects on hold, a 6 string with a carved maple cap [think PRS] and a 5 string bass, effectively a copy of the 4 string Patrick Eggle Milan I have [I can bearly play them though :evil: , set one up with looowwww action though]
With the major house remodelling/renovation going on i'll free up what is currently the dining room and this will become a proper study and where the pucka hifi will get re-setup 8) .

roller girl
11-05-04, 12:55 PM
[quote=roller girl]

just how would you go about fixing spare saab parts into a scrapbook?
'this is my duff alternator from 1996'
'ooh thats lovely dear'
8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that would be one heavy scrapbook!!!!

i am STILL laughing at the concept :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh, honey, loooook....our first ECU... :cheesy:

Munki
11-05-04, 01:29 PM
What other hobbies and/or interests do you have, that you feel represent your personality?
Heavy drinking, talking rubbish and watching Chelsea Football Club.

These can be done seperately but they are best when combined. :cheesy:

Tomoose
11-05-04, 01:52 PM
Golfing, and cleaning my car; also spending long periods of time sleeping :cheesy:

heavy_t
11-05-04, 01:52 PM

Hobbies:
1. Collecting records and CDs!
2. Kickboxing
3. Weight training (not to olympic beefcake standards,lol :nono; )
4. Beer (no really! but I mean nice beer)
5. Admiring unloved seventies cars
6. Thinking of taking up Aikido, anyone here do it?

CleveSaab
11-05-04, 01:57 PM
1) Camping/Hiking/Canoeing
2) Saabs
3) Computer gaming
4) Peregrine Falcons (we have babies!!!) http://www.falcons.apk.net

Mattlach
11-05-04, 02:13 PM
Heavy drinking, talking rubbish and watching Chelsea Football Club.

These can be done seperately but they are best when combined. :cheesy:

Ooh right!

How could I forget heavy drinking and rooting for the Red Sox.

Some of the best times of my life were spent eith 30,000 other drunk college students, all chanting in time at the top of our lungs "Yankees Suck, Yankees Suck, Yankees Suck..."

Lets just say that the New York Yankees are not very well liked in Boston.

For you British people out there, its easy to make the comparison between the NY Yankees and Manchester United. Us Red Sox fans are much like the die-hard Liverpool fans, damned near lynching supporters of the Yankees at home games :P

For a while at Umass, if you wore a Yankees cap, you were taking a unwise risk... :cheesy:

ragtopcav
11-05-04, 02:51 PM

:P I wonder what our Australian brethren will make of that :lol:

Mattlach
11-05-04, 02:53 PM

I'm guessing I accidentally used an Australian slang for something? :P (probably dirty?)

ragtopcav
11-05-04, 03:18 PM

I'm guessing I accidentally used an Australian slang for something? :P (probably dirty?)Ohh yes 8)

abdukted1456
11-05-04, 03:54 PM
I wash and wax my car meticuluously on sunny warm weekends, other than that, I do not do too much work on the car, I am not "mechanically inclined" but hope to learn as I go along with this Saab... I do read about Saabs and chat on these message boards quite a bit, though!

My other hobbies include making ans listening to music (mostly electronic music), DJ-ing (I spin house music), and graphic arts. (I am a web/graphic designer for a living but am getting into some freelance projects as of late, and also creat artwork just for fun)

I also am taking up mountain biking and soon will start getting into camping. (just got the roof rack for the Saab so the woman and I can take the bikes all over the place!)

fabric
11-05-04, 04:24 PM
When I'm not at work, I mainly spend my time racing bicycles, and training to race. That usually entails some travelling when I need to go to races. I also do most of my own work on my bicycles, although that's not terribly time intensive.

I also like alpine skiing, although I usually only do that once or twice a year for about a week total.

I like to cook as well, and I plan to fire up a tobacco pipe for the first time in awhile this evening after my training. Nothing quite like smoking to aid the recovery. :)

Stuart
11-05-04, 05:14 PM
Having a young family pretty much takes care of any spare time I might have.

I work long hours so weekends are spent trying to cram as much in as possible (go to the park, feed the ducks, take my daughter dancing or swimming or both (not at the same time), shop for groceries for the following week, do housework, work in the garden, clean the cars, see friends and/or family...)

Slaab4life
11-05-04, 07:06 PM
i do quite a bit of quality control on hops based beverages
lol. thats the best way i've ever heard it put!
Umass, if you wore a Yankees cap, you were taking a unwise risk...
LOL. Which campus was that? I have a friend who was from southern CT, but living in Boston. He is a diehard Yankees fan, one night he goes out to the bar, comes back completely trashed, shirt ripped, fake tooth gone (had gotten hit in the face with a 2x4 in jamaica plains a few months before), and his Yankees hat destroyed. He had no idea what had happened, remembered leaving the bar, and some people with Red Sox hats on.

Hmmm, hobbys:
1.) Drinking beer, good or not, enjoy the old Pabs Blue Ribbon, Blue Moon, Wachusett, Paper City, Buzzard's Bay, etc.
2.) Camping and hiking up along the Kankamangus Highway in NH.
3.) Alternate energy research....mainly my talking my father into spending $$$ on the stuff and I install it on his house and see how well it works.
4.) Saabs, thinking about putting the C900 back onto the road, will need to do some work on it.
5.) In the winter, go skiing up north in VT, NH or Canada, usually take a trip once a year up north of the border, 5 day apartment style accomidations, 5 day lift ticket, less than $200. (Perhaps a Saab meet-up next winter there? :idea ?)
6.) Summers I spend sailing on my 16' catamaran that a friend and I bought last spring, took my handheld GPS out one time last summer..was going 20 to 22 mph on it. Quite an adrenaline rush. Did do one sailing/camping trip last summer, we were like tom and huck finn. caught a fish with a bamboo fishing pole, cooked it over a fire, got thrown off the beach, rowed to another, camped out by the marsh.

Mattlach
11-05-04, 07:24 PM
LOL. Which campus was that? I have a friend who was from southern CT, but living in Boston. He is a diehard Yankees fan, one night he goes out to the bar, comes back completely trashed, shirt ripped, fake tooth gone (had gotten hit in the face with a 2x4 in jamaica plains a few months before), and his Yankees hat destroyed. He had no idea what had happened, remembered leaving the bar, and some people with Red Sox hats on.

I went to the Amherst campus, but I hear the kids at the boston campus as well as at northeastern get pretty intense about their baseball team as well :)

Mofflet
11-05-04, 07:30 PM
Hobbies:
2. Kickboxing
3. Weight training
6. Thinking of taking up Aikido, anyone here do it?

share a few with heavy_t

i also go to the gym 4-5 times a week ontop of kickboxing twice a week.

Im a student at university and i am heavily involved in a car club.

SaabScott
17-05-04, 08:03 PM
Hobbies ... hmmm ...

Well, I have my Saab (of course).
I also have 2 cats, but they are more family than hobby.

I enjoy driving, good wines, and trying different beer ... not all at the same time though.
Vacationing has become a hobby, cruises mostly.
Playing around with a few stocks here and there is fun (I don't spend more than I can afford to loose).
Watching the Toronto Maple Leafs ranks up there too.
Buying tools and such ... that I may not ever need or use! :roll:
Oh, and listening to music of course, especially Rush! :cheesy:

jetman
17-05-04, 09:05 PM
Hobbies? ha ha not with kids!
Well, I do play hockey, play guitar, make my own beer, bodge the Saabs, and paint some.

This is MaDness
17-05-04, 09:13 PM
This is a cool thread. Awesome to see so many musically-minded people in here :D

Mine include:

1. Composing electronic music, programming synths, audio production for college musos etc
2. Playing ukulele and cello
3. Photography (landscapes, long exposures, night work) with my OM-1
4. Getting to know my recently-purchased c900
5. Squash
6. Being frustrated with uni
7. And, of course, spending all sorts of time with my girlfriend...

The Swedish Bullet
18-05-04, 11:11 AM
Awesome to see so many musically-minded people in here.

Seriously. Artistic and creative in general.
For me, it confirms that SAABs really are cars for individuals, free thinkers, and generally open-minded people. We're in good company!

Paco
18-05-04, 11:39 AM
Kidskidskidskidskids.... :cheesy:

Oh and I'm as musical as a housebrick btw

Rhino2.3t
18-05-04, 01:25 PM
reading that quickly doing seven things at once i thought you had an abs fault for a minute :cheesy:

nutcase
18-05-04, 01:35 PM
I have no idea what other hobbies I have :)

But I do spend a lot of time moving bits around on the 99 with no real hope of it ever reaching the Queen's highway :P

I used to listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of DVD's, but since my amp blew up and I can't afford to replace it I'm stuck with a cheap radio :(

I used to be quite involved in home cinema forums, see above.

I used to be involved in railway museums and teh like, but don't ahve the time these days.

I used to have a job :(

So I guess my other hobbies are job hunting and tyrying not to spend any money :cheesy:

Mattlach
18-05-04, 02:20 PM
I used to listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of DVD's, but since my amp blew up and I can't afford to replace it I'm stuck with a cheap radio :(

Eww. Thats too bad. I hate it when stuff blows up on you. :(

I used to be quite the computer enthusiast. I once fried my computer in a little experiment involving home-made phase change cooling :(

I used to be involved in railway museums and teh like, but don't ahve the time these days.

Train Spotting? :cheesy:

cassonian
18-05-04, 04:09 PM
Beer. Girlfriend. Work. Work is often first.

bassist5
18-05-04, 04:14 PM
Hmm.. hobbies.. well, music.. I play bass, guitar and drums (altho I'm mainly a drummer, I'm pretty damn good at it, I've been told. I suck at guitar tho). I also sing/scream. Music is EVERYTHING to me.

Other hobbies include things I probably shouldn't post on here and cars.. Saabs and Italian cars (Alfa Romeos, especially, but Fiats/Lancias too)

School, if you wanna consider that a hobby, altho I hate it and skip quite a few classes..

bohtak
18-05-04, 04:48 PM
ohh goodie..
1) im into modding my saab plus some tinckering and repairs
2) fishes, fresh water ones (have one yellow tail arowana in a 4 feet tank and a chiclid community 3 feet tank
3) designing stuff, websites etc.. art!@
4) table tennis & 10 pin bowling <--getting use to the game just started recently :cheesy:

jetman
18-05-04, 05:03 PM
I forgot until I read it in someone elses post. I guess my biggest hobbie is cooking. As elaborate or simple as you want, I just love making and eating food.

nutcase
18-05-04, 06:35 PM

Eww. Thats too bad. I hate it when stuff blows up on you. :(

I used to be quite the computer enthusiast. I once fried my computer in a little experiment involving home-made phase change cooling :(

Train Spotting? :cheesy:

Not really train spotting. More servicing, restoring, repairing, rebuilding and playing with :)

bassist5
18-05-04, 06:36 PM
my spare time is filled with.. music.. composing, listening, playing.. buying guitars you don't really need

That right there, my friend, is the way to go :cheesy:

ragtopcav
18-05-04, 07:05 PM
I forgot until I read it in someone elses post. I guess my biggest hobbie is cooking. As elaborate or simple as you want, I just love making and eating food.Yeah, forgot that too, I really enjoy it, I'm no chef no formal training but it is good to put a meal together and share it with people that matter to you. It's beyond hobby almost, well prepared food is as important as the compounds you consume to survive [why just survive when you can live!]

Good man Jetman, i feel good for sharing that.

Mattlach
18-05-04, 07:20 PM
Not really train spotting. More servicing, restoring, repairing, rebuilding and playing with :)

:) Pardon my ignorance... But how does one play with a train? They tend to be quite big, and you know... require a track and all...

nutcase
19-05-04, 03:44 AM
Yup. I used to be here every weekend http://www.mangapps.co.uk/

And I agree they're quite big. When you've been involved in stuff that an individual component can weigh more than your car, you know it's heavy engineering :)

Still do the odd trip to museums around the country, but not very often these days.

sab aero
19-05-04, 04:42 AM
ohh goodie..
2) fishes, fresh water ones (have one yellow tail arowana in a 4 feet tank and a chiclid community 3 feet tank

hey cool!
Im into cichlids (and fish too) - i have a 4 foot 180litre african Mbuna tank (pics are of one of my Metriaclima callainos - Cobalt blues and the other of the whole gang Im hand feeding). Also have Labidchromis sp"hongi and Labidochromis Caerulus (E Yellows). Also have two other 40litre tropical community tanks - my GF thinks im nuts! :)
Also love designing stuff - work as a graphic designer, and digital photography.
And ofcourse Saabs - specifically looking after the silver sled! :)

cheers
sab

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sbunton/images/0204_1.jpg

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sbunton/images/updates/up12.jpg

NopiGirl2
19-05-04, 09:02 AM
Ive been a "motor head" as some would call it for awhile.

My previous car was a 96 Acura Integra I had so much fun with until I wrecked it (moment of silence...)

My weekends in the summer are spent drag racing, auto crossing, dirtbiking/4-wheeling, and any evening or weekend day that it is nice out we are out riding our Honda 929 RR.

I'll actually be at the www.mazdarevitup.com event in Boston this weekend.

I enjoy working on and modding my car as well as working out, swimming, dancing, and pretty much just having a good time.

slidejules
19-05-04, 10:57 AM
Interesting thread! Strange to see so many musos! I play guitar in a few bands, trying to get famous you know how it is. Play all around london and south east, if anyone like's rock or blues or funk or jazz, I got a website http://www.slidejules.com with all sorts of stuff on it. Play a Les Paul, a Patrick Eggle, and have a pair of G&L Legacy Specials (bit like a strat but better quality). Other hobbies are skiing and trying to keep girlfriends content with being second rated to a piece of maple :-) not an easy task!

My saab is the first car I've had where I even consider tinkering with it (previously had a new pug 206, citroen xsara, citroen saxo - all bought new and consequently I didn't really want to twiddle with them too much. got fed up with battling depreciation, eg 206 cost 11k new, sold it for 6k after a year OUCH, bought my 9k for 3 grand a year ago and haven't looked back). Ultimate aim is to do all the servicing myself although lack of experience is making that a slow goal at the moment!!!

NopiGirl2
19-05-04, 12:29 PM
I wish we could get citroen in the US ~ they make such a nice rally car! I've wanted one to play with for awhile.

SaabScott
19-05-04, 09:59 PM
ohh goodie..

hey cool!
Im into cichlids (and fish too) - i have a 4 foot 180litre african Mbuna tank (pics are of one of my Metriaclima callainos - Cobalt blues and the other of the whole gang Im hand feeding). Also have Labidchromis sp"hongi and Labidochromis Caerulus (E Yellows). Also have two other 40litre tropical community tanks - my GF thinks im nuts! :)
Also love designing stuff - work as a graphic designer, and digital photography.

As each day goes by, I think of things to add to this list ...

I too have Cichlids ... just 2 of them now, a pair of Green Cevrums (sp?).
But I also have a giant Tire Track eel in the same tank ... they get along great together ... and the eel has a great personality.
However, any time I have to put my hand in the tank ... I begin to wonder if I will get it out in one piece! :o

Rogozhin
10-04-05, 10:12 PM
Hobbies of mine:

Reading (mostly Russian fiction)
Home Theater
Coffee
Beer
Graphic Design
Journal
Sketching
HiFi
Old Jazz vinyl
Want to learn web design/programming
00 MC Yellow 3dr Viggen
89 SPG
Reverse Pyramid Training
Jogging
Wireless PCS Solutions
Dating (newly divorced after years on the sidelines)
Alternative Building practices
Kayaking

Obviously no order :D

Rogo

SaabKen
10-04-05, 10:31 PM
Wading in late ...... my hobbies in no particular order:

Home audio hi-fi (2-channel)
Music (jazz, classic rock, folk, bluegrass, R&B, soul)
35mm photography (B&W, colour slides mostly architectural, design in general, people/streetlife, documentary). No digital
Reading (non-fiction)
Tennis
Industrial design
Culinary arts
Wine
Saabs
Saabs
Saabs
Saabs
Saabs
Saabs :cool:

Frank_Drebin
17-07-12, 10:22 PM
I build, restore, collect and trade these:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/milsurplus/IMG_9767.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/IMG-20120717-01637.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/milsurplus/56s-Beryl.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/milsurplus/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNDE5LTAwODk3LmpwZw.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/milsurplus/IMG-20110725-00053.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/milsurplus/Mosins.jpg

supercoupe91
24-07-12, 07:12 PM
I had heard of, but could not find, a study had been done which found most Saab owners to be left handed. Perhaps that is the thread that should be followed.

As for hobbies

1. Hiking/Camping
2. Guns (happy to see the Mosins. I like the M39 variant)
3. Photography
4. Swing Dancing

I have been told I live in extremes.

saabhutter
24-07-12, 08:56 PM
No particular order:

Politics
Current events
Hockey
Golf
Fishing (fresh water/salt water)
Camping
European autos
Soon to be fiancÚ (shhh don't tell her:p)
Watching sports on TV (Ottawa Senators, Toronto Blue Jays, PGA Tour, fishing network)
Reading
Travelling

93o8
24-07-12, 10:18 PM
Hiking/Camping/Canoeing
Bow Hunting ;ol;
Hockey
Skiing
Basketball

Texastrooper
24-07-12, 10:53 PM
First of all:
- My family

In my spare time:
- Homebrewing... Need to have your priorities right... lol.

- Camping
- Boy Scouts
- Photography (when I can find the time)

DanF.
25-07-12, 09:40 PM
I don't always have time off, but when I do I:

1: drink socially, a lot.
2: shoot guns/kill paper
3: help other people work on their cars
4: play guitar
5: hang out at the beach, or on a boat
6: grill tasty animals

I like including my girlfriend in all this whenever possible.

J-Rod
25-07-12, 09:57 PM
No order...
-Golf
-Working on cars (all types, especially my Mustang)
-Car meets with friends
-Photography
-Writing (Columns and reviews for school paper)
-Detailing cars
-Going to our lake house/Gibson Houseboat
-and the general going out to dinner with friends/family, all that stuff.

Saab named Jag
26-07-12, 05:00 PM
In no particular order.

Hiking
Biking (pedal or throttle;ol;)
Shooting old Russian rifles
35mm photography
Working on pretty much anything with a motor:D
Enjoying music of all kinds

tjbell
26-07-12, 10:48 PM
Hmmm outside of working on Saabs and other European vehicles for a living I enjoy riding my triumph speed triple, modifying the bike and the saab, buying tools, .... Uhhh spending time with the girlfriend yeah

Frank_Drebin
31-07-12, 01:58 PM
In no particular order.

Hiking
Biking (pedal or throttle;ol;)
Shooting old Russian rifles
35mm photography
Working on pretty much anything with a motor:D
Enjoying music of all kinds

We share a common interest. I have a few M38's, an M44, Finnish M28, PPS, and of course a couple of AKM's laying around. :)

Frank_Drebin
31-07-12, 02:00 PM
I had heard of, but could not find, a study had been done which found most Saab owners to be left handed. Perhaps that is the thread that should be followed.

As for hobbies

1. Hiking/Camping
2. Guns (happy to see the Mosins. I like the M39 variant)
3. Photography
4. Swing Dancing

I have been told I live in extremes.

That is actually a Finnish Capture M28 with a Sig barrel. She shots like a laser.

straycatkid
02-08-12, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised to see that there are a good number of firearms guys around here. Been dying to get into the hobby for years, just purchased my gateway gun. Remington 870 Police Magnum, for home defense.
http://s10.postimage.org/hldgbhu9l/002.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/vrt76q54l/full/)
upload pictures (http://postimage.org/)

Other hobbies:
Very big into mountain-biking. Hiking, photography, cars, play some guitar, military aviation and military history in general.

redrum
02-08-12, 12:14 PM
Another one here. Just target shoot and plink, not really into hunting. Also big into biking (mountain biking, road, fixed gear), camping, hiking.. Dabble in photography. That's about enough to take up my free time outside of the office :)

straycatkid
02-08-12, 12:25 PM
I've been plinking with air guns in my backyard for ten years. Glad to have finally started the switch to powder-burners.

valbowski1980
02-08-12, 03:48 PM
I have a few... Sadly not as much time to enjoy them as I'd like.

Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts, Swimming
Photography, model kits, car repair and travel
Girlfriend (takes up about 99% of my time :))

Jools
02-08-12, 04:46 PM
Hobbies/sports;
My cars,
Classic rallies,
Mountain biking,
Nordic cross skating (basically off road roller skiing)
10m match air rifle shooting

Interests;
Triumph and Saab cars,
GT racing,
Biathlon.

SaabKen
02-08-12, 05:44 PM
I have a few... Sadly not as much time to enjoy them as I'd like.

Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts, Swimming
Photography, model kits, car repair and travel
Girlfriend (takes up about 99% of my time :))

You must be very efficient time-wise to squeeze in all the rest (bold) in that 1% time you got left :o:lol:

SaabKen
02-08-12, 05:45 PM
Triumph and Saab cars,

Talk about killing two birds with one stone ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_B_engine

Jools
02-08-12, 08:13 PM
Talk about killing two birds with one stone ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_B_engine

Right! The way I've understood it, Saab were asking around as to who was developing a new engine suitable to their needs and an engineering company in England, Ricardo, told them to talk to Triumph who were getting started on their slant 4 and V8 development.
The often badly spoken of head stud layout (5 beingon an angle) was said to be a Saab request. Anyhow, Saab wisely dropped the idea when further developing the engine.
As with the H engine in my 9-3, the Stag 2997cc V8 is also fussy with oil changes. Both engines have similar power outputs and torque figures but are totally different animals to tame.

valbowski1980
02-08-12, 11:02 PM
You must be very efficient time-wise to squeeze in all the rest (bold) in that 1% time you got left :o:lol:

Haha! Yeah I guess. Not too bad to squeeze in an hour or so after work as long as I have my gear with me. I even have time to go to the gun range with my father once in a while.

redrum
03-08-12, 08:26 AM
I've been plinking with air guns in my backyard for ten years. Glad to have finally started the switch to powder-burners.

It gets expensive quick, between ammo and tinkering/upgrades, plus there's always the next one you want... :cheesy:

straycatkid
03-08-12, 09:52 AM
Oh yeah. All the fun hobbies are expensive haha It just ain't right..

K19320
04-08-12, 02:22 AM
Aside from cars,

Wine, spirits, and beer. Lately my focus has really been on wine.
I also dabble in watches, pens, anime and video games (mostly Assassin's Creed as of late.)

toxicavenger
04-08-12, 05:06 AM
Family, 65' VW Bug restoring and watches.

Feffman
04-08-12, 08:52 AM
Owned three Saabs (9000 Turbo, 9000 AERO and current 9-5 AERO) and have always thought, "I hope people don't see me as a granola" :cool:

Other then pestering my beloved wife of 20 years, I coach my son's basketball team, enjoy plinking with a 9MM and an AR-15, enjoy the hell out of my career as a ChFC and race cars (Radical SR3) for fun.

Feff

RandomSVX
04-08-12, 06:34 PM
Reading this thread was interesting. I don't know about others but saab owners seem to keep themselves entertained with some mixture of spirits, sports/outdoor activities, and being creative. I want to say we are generally curious people, self-reliant to a point, and we like keeping busy. But then this is really not much of a sample nor am I qualified to make any proper summarization(sp?) on said matter.

My hobbies tend to be work. (Sadly I'd work whether I needed too or not.)
Photography and goofing around with the likes of photoshop and premier from adobe.
Looking up stuff.
Drinking good stuff safely and socially.
Getting out.
Driving.
Trying new things.

The comment one most SAAB owners being left handed is interesting. I'm right handed but certain things i have taught myself to be ambidextrous with. Was a thread ever posted?