Who parks with their manual transmission in reverse? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Who parks with their manual transmission in reverse?

stickline
10-05-04, 02:07 PM
I drove C900's for many years before my current 9-3SS. I didn't learn manual on a C900, but certainly my formative years were on a '82 and '87 900T. The point is, I STILL make sure top put my manual Trans in reverse every time I shut the car off. Heck, when I drove a Wrangler for a few years, I was putting that thing in reverse, and whenever I drive my roommate's Jetta I leave it in reverse as well.

Obviously there are two reasons for this:

1. I'm just conditioned from years of C900 driving
2. I'm just plain nuts

Does anyone else make sure to leave their 9-3SS (or any other manual transmission) in reverse every time they park? I'm just trying to figure out if the answer to the above question is in fact #2.

stickline
10-05-04, 02:08 PM
damn. I meant to put this in the 9-3SS forum. Any possibility to move this?

#2 is looking like the correct answer right now.....

Mattlach
10-05-04, 02:13 PM
damn. I meant to put this in the 9-3SS forum. Any possibility to move this?

#2 is looking like the correct answer right now.....

I think it works just as well in the Longe :)

I park every vehicle I drive in reverse out of habit.

My 2001 9-5 Aero requires it, but I have parked everything from Audi TT, BMW M3 and Volvo S60R to a VW Sharan I rented once in reverse out of habit.

ellison
10-05-04, 03:13 PM
I am not sure if all 900's are like this, but I can't get my keys out of the ignition if I am not in reverse. I find it quite annoying.

I used to have a Jetta and I ALWAYS left it in neutral. A couple of times with my Saab I have let my foot off the clutch while the car is still on and the car lunges forward....I am telling ya what a fright!!!

Jezzadee
10-05-04, 03:17 PM
I am not sure if all 900's are like this, but I can't get my keys out of the ignition if I am not in reverse. I find it quite annoying.

All 900's are designed like that. Its allegedly more effective than a steering lock.

Johann F
10-05-04, 03:34 PM
In the old days of front handbrakes it was very good to have a reverse lock on the gear. It was possible after a hard workout on the brakes that they would cool and slack off ending in a car rolling down the hill :oops:

Tomarse
10-05-04, 03:39 PM
All 900's are designed like that. Its allegedly more effective than a steering lock.

I'd have thought that it would be a lot harder to smash off than a steering lock. It would probably confuse most thieves too - It confuses most mechanics!

I'm now conditioned to leave all my vehicles in reverse, saab or not!

stickline
10-05-04, 03:41 PM
"All 900's are designed like that. Its allegedly more effective than a steering lock."

Also '99-'02 ('03 converts as well) 9.3's were like this. It was with the new design of the 9.3 that the transmission lock that required the transmission to be in reverst to remove the key was removed. I can park my 9.3SS in neutral if I want to, the key will come out no matter where the selector is.

ellison:
-I used to get thet jumping too, so I also make sure to leave the clutch depressed longer than the brake after turning the motor off just so that doesn't happen! I figure it's more 900 conditioning.....

garry
10-05-04, 03:44 PM
The idea is to lock the transmission. As a result insurance for tranz lock SAAB's are lower... Insurance companies like the idea.

Fast_Ed
10-05-04, 03:49 PM
Well, the gear ratio for reverse is lower than first, so I think that it makes the most sense to leave it in this gear when parking any car. As for its advantages over a steering lock, I'd rather have my shift lock fail and be forced to put in the clutch than have my steering lock fail and put me into a tree! Plus, it would take quite a complicated, annoying mechanism to put a steering lock on a car with the keys between the front seets.

boxman
10-05-04, 03:57 PM
well i have a 9000 and my wife has a 9-3 and when i drive the 9-3 i leave it in neutral and spend the next six weeks putting the 9k into reverse :roll:

boxman :wink:

heavy_t
10-05-04, 04:11 PM
As for its advantages over a steering lock, I'd rather have my shift lock fail and be forced to put in the clutch than have my steering lock fail and put me into a tree!

That's why Saab did it. They were worried about the safety aspects of locking steering wheels.... i.e., what if it locked while you were driving!

Dan1
10-05-04, 04:18 PM
well in my 86 c900 you can't get the key out unless it is in reverse...so it's a habit as well as a necesity.

Jezzadee
10-05-04, 04:46 PM
And with that I think we've come full circle :D

Stefano
10-05-04, 06:17 PM
The idea is to lock the transmission. As a result insurance for tranz lock SAAB's are lower... Insurance companies like the idea

I never understood how the shift lock sould be better than a steering lock for what it concerns the theft protection. A car locked in reverse can be esily towed or pushed, all one needs is a guy to press the clutch. It can even be driven, not for long of course, but surely for longer than a car with a locked steering wheel.

The idea about the safety of an accidental lock, or the driver's knee safety, makes much more sense to me.

clg31187
10-05-04, 06:20 PM
We used to do it w/ the 86 900, but then the ignition switch wore out enough that you could pull the key out with the car in any gear :roll:

Christophe

akamal
10-05-04, 06:31 PM
Yup, since having the vert i do this out of habit in every car i drive, creating much confusion and annoyance whenever i have to use someone elses car!
:)

thumpar
10-05-04, 07:11 PM
The first day I got my C900 I couldn't get the keys out. I searched all over for a button or something. I finally had to drive to a friends house who knew more about the car than me :oops: . He showed me how to do it.

And yes it is habit for me to put all cars into reverse when stopping. Another habit is to put the keys in the center console. I get into my olds and always try to put the key in the center console before i remember where the igition is.

9000anni
10-05-04, 07:48 PM
Still doing it, Even in in my 9000, Just cant break the habit,
(stops the car rolling away too) :)

Willy Wonka
10-05-04, 09:19 PM
I snapped off the little angle bracket that drove me nuts.
Now I park in any gear I want to even neutral if the desire strikes. http://www.prism.net/easternfish/bb.gif

Stumpage
11-05-04, 05:16 AM
Never left a car in reverse until I got my 9-5 aero. Now I leave everything in reverse out of habit. Which really pisses of the people who let me drive there cars. :oops:

Jetset
11-05-04, 05:55 AM
The central lock is more secure, it is very difficult to break compared with a stearing lock, most stearing locks can be broken with just a bit of brute force on the stearing wheel, this is made much easier if someone has done you the favour of fitting an additional stearing wheel "bar" style lock for added leaverage :-?

With the gear lock you have much ability less to be able to force compared with the torque you can apply to a stearing wheel.

Insurance companys also think it is more secure, just compare the insurance premiums on saabs. My 1998 saab 900 costs *half* what I would have had to pay for a 1995 1.8 litre Audi or Volvo.

On a side note, I carry a large number of keys / mini-leatherman / mini mag-light with me, the central ignition is fantastic because I no longer get my legs smashed up by my keys :cheesy:

I have now been conditioned and I always try and put the keys into the center of any car, and always leave them in reverse :lol:

I snapped off the little angle bracket that drove me nuts.
Now I park in any gear I want to even neutral if the desire strikes.

So now you have no form of security lock on you car at all??? :o

yfs87
11-05-04, 07:35 AM
i too put everything i drive in reverse...EVEN automatics(just kidding on that one :wink:). but i do love the center console, i always end up stabbing other cars center consoles out of habit :oops: 8) well, shows that i was brought up with a saab lol

brunp
11-05-04, 08:16 AM
I seem to leave the car in the gear that I used to park the car with. If I receive into a spot, then I leave the gear in reverse, however, if I roll into a spot in 2nd gear, I leave it there, likewise 1st gear.

I always raise the hand brake, however, it is in a flat parking lot which the one that is at my work, then I don't worry about raising the hand brake. I just make sure it is in gear.

Paul

Willy Wonka
11-05-04, 10:54 PM
So now you have no form of security lock on you car at all??? :o

Do you really think that lock will deter anyone? In a few seconds it can be snapped. One only need know its internals. On a c900 manual, the week point is the angle bracket locking the shift rod. The rod is still viable after applying force to the bracket. A better solution would have been a reverse lock that decoupled the linkage.
Well my non detered car is as detered as yours. 8)

Jetset
12-05-04, 07:21 AM
In a few seconds it can be snapped. One only need know its internals.*snip*
Well my non detered car is as detered as yours. 8)

Every second extra they spend in the car is an extra second they could get caught, a friend of mine had his car "saved" beacuse of the amount of time it took them to break the additional stearing lock off.

But fair point about the detered but ;)

900t
12-05-04, 09:22 PM
I've always left my cars (and others) in reverse out of habit, but, both my Saab and my '76 Firebird require me to put it in reverse to take out the key. What is neat on the Firebird is that when I put reverse, a cup (similar to what goes around the column on a column-shift car) on the steering column rotates to disengage the key lock (so I can go from OFF to LOCK). Apparently GM introduced steering and reverse/park shift locks on all their 1972+ cars.

900t
12-05-04, 09:26 PM
And when I first got the Pontiac as a wee boy, I would play inside with the key and shifter and make motor sounds... and then I could never take it out, until I found out about reverse lock. (and then afterwards found out how to get past the reverse lockout ring).

http://way.nu/oii/big-now.gif

Cuba
13-05-04, 06:22 AM
I'd rather have my shift lock fail and be forced to put in the clutch than have my steering lock fail and put me into a tree!

I used to live in a little bay on Banks Peninsula in NZ. Once you got down the very very steep road from the summit it was a gentle meandering 5km roller coaster ride to the my house. I used to put it (Skoda Deluxe) into neutral and coast. The grade was perfect to keep you at a comfortable speed without the need to brake..much. I drove home like this hundreds of times. One day I was a little distracted at the last bend and turn a little late and little more on the wheel and............... click :o ..I slammed on the brakes and did a 360 in loads of cow sh*t and the girl who was in the back seat ended up in my lap :cheesy: I never considered over the many years I did this, that the steering could lock. I must have been milimeters away from it happening numerous times.

spence
13-05-04, 05:23 PM
On a side note, I carry a large number of keys / mini-leatherman / mini mag-light with me, the central ignition is fantastic because I no longer get my legs smashed up by my keys :cheesy:

:o
isnt it becuase of 40% of head on collisions resulted in some sort of knee injury beacause of keys in ignition on dash :roll:

Willy Wonka
22-05-04, 06:07 PM
Another view of the shifter lock. It's easy to leave the car in gear and simply put in the clutch to start it. After this week I'll never do that again, I'll always use neautral. The car was in first, the clutch was in, and I was about 5 feet from/til the garage door.
Pop, the clutch peddle looses all feel, the car lunges forward, time slows, (well what just happened?), shift the mother into neutral, bang/shudder, stomp on the brakes. Missed the door by 2 feet. The rubber portion of the clutch line came undone at the fastener. :o
So now I allways put it in neutral. BTW I got it fixed.

Upstate-93
22-05-04, 07:09 PM
this is the first Saab I've ever driven, but all my driving life I've parked cars in reverse -- it's how my parents taught me 24 years ago. This is to help the parking brake or on fairly level ground just take its place.

And as far as having your clutch fail when you're starting the car, if that worries you you can always move it out of reverse before turning the key. :)

bassist5
22-05-04, 08:36 PM
The whole "you can't take it out unless it's reverse", is it also on autos?

Willy Wonka
22-05-04, 11:00 PM
you can always move it out of reverse before turning the key. :) http://www.prism.net/easternfish/spot.gif

9.3 Joe
24-05-04, 03:00 PM
I always leave car in first gear when I park.

Rhino2.3t
24-05-04, 03:43 PM
maybe this is a genetic fault.. but after my first 48hours of c900.. instead of going for the column to do the keys - i now automatically do both :-? left hand to the keys, right hand to the 'thin air' by the steering wheel. do i look stupid - oh yesssss.

i'm hoping my primitive brain improves after its 18years of column conditioning 8)

Willy Wonka
24-05-04, 09:28 PM
maybe this is a genetic fault.. but after my first 48hours of c900.. instead of going for the column to do the keys - i now automatically do both :-? left hand to the keys, right hand to the 'thin air' by the steering wheel. do i look stupid - oh yesssss.

i'm hoping my primitive brain improves after its 18years of column conditioning 8)
What puzzles me is that you islanders are still allowed to keep shifting with the left hand. 8) I would think the EU establishment committee would have promulgated standards to establish a homogenious driving position. Sort of like the missionary position. 8)

Rhino2.3t
25-05-04, 04:25 AM
islanders.. huhuhuhuh missionary.. you said missionary..

no way i'm not driving on the timmy side of the car, i've tried it before and even an old m3 evo wouldn't make me change - its rubbish :wink:

wouldn't suprise me if some crazy foo did try and standardise it either, that'd be just perfect..
Australia beckons...