Are you a Saab Guy ? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Are you a Saab Guy ?

cramerica
09-05-04, 06:48 PM
Ok I give up....I have had my 93 for 6 weeks now and every time I show the car to anyone they smile and say I didn't take you for a "Saab guy". I ran into the president of my small company in the parking lot and he shock his head and said... you are NOT a Saab guy.

I don't really care much what profile I am suppose to fit in to drive this car .... I just kind of do my own thing.

So what is this classic Saab driver I am nothing like ?

wassallj
09-05-04, 06:58 PM
A Saab guy looks like he lives in his car

Saba
09-05-04, 07:08 PM
Stroll into the lounge. You will meet some Saab guys there :cheesy:

misskai
09-05-04, 07:46 PM
I can understand your question, for I don't think that I fit the "typical" Saab owner, but that's not keeping me from making it my next car (hopefully very soon). But, what's funny is that many that know me are not surprised that I'm looking to get one, for I do not do things like others, so I think the fact that "you do your own thing" is a good reason why you own one.

I did dig up some demographics of what they believe is a typical Saab owner (from another Saab fan site & I have seen many of these listed elsewhere, though I'm questioning the last 2), & there's also the fact that the majority of the owners are males, though Saab is trying to appeal to a broader market now:

Average income of a Saab owners is over $100,000.
52% are dual income households.
59% are between the ages of 25 and 44.
62% have been on the Internet more than 3 years.
30% spend more than 10 hours online per week.
76% have degrees (24% advanced degrees).
87% are professionals or in technical roles.
61% are married while 32% are single.
39% have children.
60%+ have pets.
85% are in North America.
87% speak and read English.

Hope this helps, but most of all, keep doing your own thing & enjoy your car! :cheesy:

Saba
09-05-04, 08:01 PM

Well the second last one can be easily rebuked. Saab sells about 48,000 new cars in North America (US and Canada) Of the 135,000 it sells globally that translates to about 35%

dtg_
09-05-04, 08:09 PM
A friend told me not to get my Linear...cause it is an "old guy's" car. I'm 22. I do see a lot of older Saab drivers, but I don't care, I'm fine being in the minority.

misskai
09-05-04, 08:12 PM
Thanks for that info. I'm going to have to try to remember where I saw a more official demographic breakdown (probably a automotive/trade magazine or something @ work). I'll share if I do.

cramerica
09-05-04, 08:22 PM
... I appreciate the responses..... I have to admit I do fit the demographic pretty well...except our dual income isn't quite 100k... but that explains the linear ;)

I guess I had the impression I was suppose to be in my 50's and a bit of a snob.... or maybe just aloof. Maybe I was suppose to be all about safety.... who knows.

In any case I'm lovin the tires off that car... a great blend of upscale comfort and enough power to break the boredom. I love the car and that is all that matters... any more comments on the "Saab guy" attitude would be welcome.

Thanks gang

JNGold
09-05-04, 08:26 PM
I guess I had the impression I was suppose to be in my 50's and a bit of a snob....

No, that's reserved for the BMW and MB guys! :)

Any referral to "the Saab Guy" should be referenced to this:

http://gngone.home.mindspring.com/Saabguy.jpg

kopfschuh
09-05-04, 08:43 PM
I'm with JN.

:cheesy:

misskai
09-05-04, 08:51 PM
I love "the Saab guy" graphic!

And I have to admit, that's how I felt when I test drove an Aero yesterday...nice...I like...I like...I'm hoping getting the Aero or Vector will liven up my commute :D I'm looking forward to the day that I post about my new vehicle...with that said, let me go back to scouring the internet for listings & ideas on how to mount a XM receiver...

JNGold
09-05-04, 10:14 PM
with that said, let me go back to scouring the internet for listings & ideas on how to mount a XM receiver...

If you are willing to wait a bit, Saab might be doing that upgrade and I bet it will be a clean (integrated) one at that! ;)

AirTreesWaterAnimals
09-05-04, 11:30 PM
Yep (just make it w/ dual income)
Yep
23, almost 24.
Yep, almost 3 year solid years.....
Easily
Nope
Nope
Married
39% have children.
Nope
60%+ have pets.
Cat
Yep
Duh

Fits me fairly well.
Saab drivers in the San Francisco Bay area suck. They're all middle aged white guys who never want to have fun. I see older model saabs and a few SS's but no one even seems to notice my car.
I get more attention from the Honda drivers than I do Saab drivers.

93Linear
10-05-04, 12:45 AM
I seem to remember reading something in a press release on the Saab USA site some time back that the SS and 9-2x were part of Saab's initiative to capture a piece of the younger market segment. I would say that the "You don't look like a Saab guy" comment would make Saab happy in a job well done.

Upstate-93
10-05-04, 06:56 AM
Saab drivers in the San Francisco Bay area suck. They're all middle aged white guys who never want to have fun.

Yo, middle aged white guy here, not in the Bay Area but a recent transplant from Oakland. And I don't suck. :) I certainly pay attention to the other Saabs on the road here, and even tend to wave as I go by. I get odd looks in return...

Blacky Turbo S
10-05-04, 07:35 AM
Hey Saab-guys,

I did some investigation between friends myself. Cause a very nice girls asked me if my car would say something about my personality. 8)
According my friends indeed the car said something about my personality:
- I do thing my own way
- When things/people are dear to me, I care a lot about them. So also the transportation must be save, comfortable (with a touch of exclusivity), at my own way.
- I like cars.
"- quote "Hey you are just not the guy for an ordinary Golf, astra, focus, or something like that." unquote
- I don't care about profiles I have to fit or not. :)
- As I don't buy every other year a new car, I need one that fits me.

Hey sometime they laugh about me, they make jokes about my car. But you what, they're just jealous.
They just envy you that they don't have a mind on their own, that their are too scary to do thing little different. :D

Blacky

misskai
10-05-04, 07:35 AM
with that said, let me go back to scouring the internet for listings & ideas on how to mount a XM receiver...

If you are willing to wait a bit, Saab might be doing that upgrade and I bet it will be a clean (integrated) one at that! ;)

JN, very true...this is why I'm debating, used or new. If I do decide to go new, I'll wait, but I'm leaning towards used right now, just because of the depreciation. The only reason why it's even deabatable is becuase I do receive a discount, so that brings the cost down a bit. Decisions...decisions...

BTW...I do like the tint on your car, compliments the Steel Grey nicely. There's nothing like a tint & nice wheels to make a car stand out. 8)

CleveSaab
10-05-04, 08:59 AM
Saab people are outdoorsy, too. Canoesists, Kayakers, Campers, Skiers.... fit any of us???
Canoeist/Camper here.
And most of us have PETS (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9196) (Sadly many pics are gone).
hehehe

Tone_Depear
10-05-04, 10:19 AM
Average income of a Saab owner is over $100,000

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

bearclaw
10-05-04, 10:26 AM
Before I got one, my impression was that Saab owners were mostly 'intellectuals' (architects, researchers, and the "college professor" types that GM says they want to broaden the appeal away from :-?? ). AND chicks, as in in my observation, the Saab convertible has been and continues to be a 'chick car'.

Now that I own one, I see them as basically the car for the non-conformist (the "State of Independence" thing). :cheesy:

ragtopcav
10-05-04, 10:30 AM

It's only £56,000 in real money Tone :-?

GearHead
10-05-04, 10:45 AM
What about the C900? :)
Broke
going to high school/college
etc,etc

Tone_Depear
10-05-04, 10:46 AM

ONLY!?

Tone_Depear
10-05-04, 10:47 AM
Before I got one, my impression was that Saab owners were mostly 'intellectuals'

You'd met Munki then?

BlackSaab
10-05-04, 11:23 AM
Mmm..I don't know what a "Saab guy" defines. I drive Saab because:

- it's a nice car
- it's safe
- you won't see them on every corner
- it has so many nice features
- it's powerfull but still elegant
- you can use it for a sporty drive or a relaxing cruise
- it looks good
- i just love it
- it's just special
- you get some nice looks from other people seeing the car
- and yes I also do the "Oh..look a saab" everytime a see one :cheesy: and I also wave to other Saabs.

Ok, I have to admit that I sometimes get puzzeld looks. Sometimes people look at my car, paying tribute to it. Than I come to my car, open it (people start to look who open it) and I get into it. Many are then going from the "aaahhh...what a nice car" to the "aeh...what is this guy doing in it" look. Seems as if I don't really fit the typical driver that people associate with it. I guess they watch out for a business type guy (no offence! ;) ) and are shocked when a jeans and t-shirt IT/computer nerd typical guy drives with it away. And I'm sure many think "ah..ok, that little boy got it sponsored by daddy." (no way...it's my damn money that keeps this car running and that bought it!). Maybe I'm also to young for it (26 years).

But heck...I don't care. I just get in, think my part about those people, start the engine and take off. :D

Mattlach
10-05-04, 11:54 AM

Sooo... if 61% are Married and 32% are single... What are the remaining 7%?

bearclaw
10-05-04, 12:14 PM
Before I got one, my impression was that Saab owners were mostly 'intellectuals'

You'd met Munki then?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I think my buying one blew apart the 'intellectual' perception :P

mtpisgah
10-05-04, 12:21 PM
While I fit into many of the categories listed, I think that a lot of BWM, MB and Audi drivers do too. You could probaby list a lot more, Lexus, Acura, even Toyota. The categories are too wide to really define what a Saab driver is like.

I bought it for the 0% interest.

Mattlach
10-05-04, 12:42 PM

With the current exchange rates, yes...

Just waaaaiit for it.. Ye Olde Dollar(tm) will come back.

Tone_Depear
10-05-04, 01:48 PM
It's still well over double what I earn. In fact it's double our household income. No wonder I get all the sh1t cars while everyone else is cruising about in verts and aeros!

Slaab4life
10-05-04, 01:50 PM
misskai wrote:

Maybe the 7% are those who devote their life to their Saab? Essencially married to the car...some exist...some are on SC. 7% definitely sounds like too big a margin of error. Where was this demographic report published Misskai? I wondering who the polled group is.

Jezzadee
10-05-04, 01:59 PM
It's still well over double what I earn. In fact it's double our household income. No wonder I get all the *** cars while everyone else is cruising about in verts and aeros!

More like 4 times the average salary for rural Suffolk :D

A lot of C900 owners I meet seem to be in their late 20's or 30's. I remember seeing new C900's when I was a kid and wishing that I could have one. Now I do its like the fulfilment of a childhood dream.

Mattlach
10-05-04, 02:02 PM
nope

nope

nope... 24 here

I was all over that baby from the beginning. More than 10 years now

I hate to admit it, but yes...

Bachelor of Science * 2 (Industrial Engineering & Operations Research)

I work as an engineer, so I guess so... (sweet, can I be a yuppie now?)

Single, and planning on keeping it that way for a good long while...

39% have children.
see answer above...

60%+ have pets.
Trust ME with another living creature? I think not.

Since 1999, yes.

English and Swedish fluently, and my German pretty damned good too.

6/12.. Guess I'm half typical Saaber and half not then.. :P

Tone_Depear
10-05-04, 03:10 PM
:lol:

Only just.

23 and 13 days

Comfortably

Including work

No!

Yeeay!

Yeeay!

39% have children.
No!

60%+ have pets.
Yeeay!

No!

Of a fashion.

Where dd these figures come from? I'm guessing a North American base sirvey group or magazine.

Jezzadee
10-05-04, 03:23 PM
ROFL

Nope

Yes

More like 40

Yes to the first

Yes

Single

39% have children.
None

60%+ have pets.
Mice living in the walls (I say morning to them)

No

Yes

Jezzadee
10-05-04, 03:24 PM
Edit - double post

garry
10-05-04, 03:33 PM
I think SAAB drivers fall into two main catagorys...

Professionals ; typically scientific, engineering or medical

Enthusiasts ; don't mind what the car looks like or what kind it is as long as its a SAAB.

Its also a sensible 'against the grain' car.... be different, drive a SAAB

However... I have to agree that this pic sums it up nicely :cheesy:

http://gngone.home.mindspring.com/Saabguy.jpg

danncas
10-05-04, 04:03 PM
Yep
23, almost 24.
Easily
Nope
Nope
Married
39% have children.
Nope
60%+ have pets.
Cat
Yep
Duh

Fits me fairly well.
Saab drivers in the San Francisco Bay area suck. They're all middle aged white guys who never want to have fun. I see older model saabs and a few SS's but no one even seems to notice my car.

I find this stuff very interesting. Since you live in the Bay area you might shed some light on this. How many rainbow flags do you see on Saabs. Gays spend over 300millon a year on products.From what I see they have in, the stats incomes of 100k plus., most of them have degrees. Since a Saab is Unique I thought it to be intresting to see.

CleveSaab
10-05-04, 04:22 PM
:lol:

Yeah, but convert it to pounds and it's like 70,000, not 100. ;)

jetman
10-05-04, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing that this info is for owners of NEW Saabs, not us pipe and slipper C900 plodders.

misskai
10-05-04, 08:50 PM
misskai wrote:

Maybe the 7% are those who devote their life to their Saab? Essencially married to the car...some exist...some are on SC. 7% definitely sounds like too big a margin of error. Where was this demographic report published Misskai? I wondering who the polled group is.

Alright...I'm back...see that there's been some fun with this info from a rival site (not sure if I'm allowed to mention it, so I'll leave it @ that). But it's posted on their site to entice one to advertise with them, so, I'm thinking that it is a slanted view. I was able to confirm that the median income of over $100k is what JD Power has listed & that just over 50% are males, mainly in the early 40s. Also, the average cost of purchase is around $30k. I'll try to find more info if possible.

Now, let's see, I like the car because it is sound car & I do like the European design, plus the added benefit of not seeing them on every corner. Now, I also had to find as quirky a company as my current car, a 2003 Saturn L300. :D So, I think Saab will fit the bill (let's keep our fingers, I'm working on a deal now).

As for my profile, I'm a single, black, 30 something female, that plays an engineer @ work (wishing I made $100k!), & I'm working to complete a MS in Engineering Mgmt. No children, but do have a wonderful cat named Maya (she is my child, as she lays next to me as I write this). As for the internet, that goes without saying. So I kinda fit the profile, but I'm more like a good example of why GM wants to utilize Saab's European appeal - to catch or keep that market that would have possibly gotten a BMW or Audi. Let's just hope they keep Saab "quirky".

Willy Wonka
10-05-04, 09:37 PM
I did dig up some demographics of what they believe is a typical Saab owner
:cheesy:http://www.prism.net/easternfish/spot.gif

Don't drop the ball. President of co. says "I didn't know you were a saab guy" reply "Since i made the sale to your competitor I decided .....(opulent /conspicuous consumption with a tinge of style and sportyness)" 8) :lol:

The Swedish Bullet
10-05-04, 09:41 PM
Let's just hope they keep Saab "quirky".
Copy that.
The "SAAB" profile that I always had in mind (probably from so much time spent in New England) was the college professor with the tweed blazer and pipe. And his younger brother, the surfer with the grateful dead teddy bear stickers on the back. And their cousin overseas, the good timing Swede with the "snuss" in the glove compartment.

roller girl
11-05-04, 02:28 PM
A friend told me not to get my Linear...cause it is an "old guy's" car. I'm 22. I do see a lot of older Saab drivers, but I don't care, I'm fine being in the minority.

Class and style are ageless.... :cheesy:

Mattlach
11-05-04, 02:35 PM

Class and style are ageless.... :cheesy:

I wouldn't consider any Saab an "old guys" car.

I mean compared to what? Possibly if you compare it to a riced up honda boy-racer, but then again, people laugh at you if you drive one of those and you are older than 18, so...

Jezzadee
11-05-04, 03:00 PM
I know a couple in their 80's - he's a retired architect and she's a professor - who bought something called an IS3000 (? not very good on Japanese cars), which has the jam jar rear lights and full rice kit. It's blue and somewhere in Norfolk, if you want to get out of their way. They were looking for a Rover, but the reason they got it was that she found the seats comfortable :D

roller girl
11-05-04, 03:36 PM
I mean compared to what? Possibly if you compare it to a riced up honda boy-racer, but then again, people laugh at you if you drive one of those and you are older than 18, so...[/quote]

um, i laugh at anyone in a riced up anything...no matter the age! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luv900
11-05-04, 06:25 PM
39% have children.
60%+ have pets.

hmm little income
i am 20 years old
spend about 3 years online yeah
well past 10 hours a week
little degrees
well pro nahh but learning tech and am good at it.. thoes that i know.
single or that i say.
i ate children ;) (hate is strong word)
had pet
aint near America
speak and read english ok.

one new thing to add to list: do you work on your saab or take it to garage (you aint a saab dude if you dont work on your car)

Mofflet
11-05-04, 07:38 PM
im a student and dont have a job

single and no income

20 :)

over 5 years

more like 50

in my first year of degree

not yet im not

single :(

39% have children.
none that i know of..but there was that girl....

60%+ have pets.
yup a doggie

wales

to a degree lol

only fit in with 4

danncas
11-05-04, 10:41 PM
Yep
23, almost 24.
Easily
Nope
Nope61% are married while 32% are single.
Married
39% have children.
Nope
60%+ have pets.
Cat
Yep
Duh

Fits me fairly well.

I find this stuff very interesting. Since you live in the Bay area you might shed some light on this. How many rainbow flags do you see on Saabs. Gays spend over 300millon a year on products.From what I see they have in, the stats incomes of 100k plus., most of them have degrees. Since a Saab is Unique I thought it to be intresting to see.
:D
NOPE On the income So close I can taste it.
NOPE Single
NOPE 50 years of age
YEP internet GEE What do you think?
YEP no Degree
technical for sure fixing engineers mistakes
YEP one adult child
YEP 2 dogs
YEP USA
YEP english and some German

jetman
11-05-04, 11:29 PM
Almost
3 Housemates
Yep
Yep
Yep
Yep/Nope
Nope
Divorced and chasing everything in sight
39% have children.
Yep
60%+ have pets.
I eat animals, not live with them
Yep
Sure

CleveSaab
12-05-04, 08:34 AM
Alright...I'm back...see that there's been some fun with this info from a rival site (not sure if I'm allowed to mention it, so I'll leave it @ that). But it's posted on their site to entice one to advertise with them,

Unlikt THAT site, we aren't a dictatorship here. You certainly can mention other sites in the context of your post. We won't ban you or anything. ;)

Paco
12-05-04, 09:02 AM
Add a nought
3 wives
Mentally? No chance..
I do more than 3 years on the net per year....
see above
I have a Masters in Factual Fabrication
I'm Technically unprofessional...
Trigamy is legal, isn't it?
39% have children.
Yes, all for sale at reasonable prices
60%+ have pets.
I use Snowy owls for target practise...
America today, Paris tomorrow, Monaco for the weekend....I'm a global citizen....
Read? I have people to read for me...[/quote]

:cheesy:

Tongue extracted from cheek....

I suspect this is for main dealer clients, a lot of visitors here rejoice in having paid a few hundred pounds/dollars/dinari/pebbles for their cars. And no I definitely don't earn $100,000 :roll:

But the kids ARE available..... :cheesy:

Mattlach
12-05-04, 09:11 AM
Unlikt THAT site, we aren't a dictatorship here. You certainly can mention other sites in the context of your post. We won't ban you or anything. ;)

Thats what Mao Zedong said in the "Hundred Flowers Campaign" and we all know how that worked out :P

stevehayes01
12-05-04, 10:50 AM

I guess I had the impression I was suppose to be in my 50's and a bit of a snob.... or maybe just aloof. Maybe I was suppose to be all about safety.... who knows.

Thanks gang

I think the over 50 thing only applies to BMW,Merc and Audi A8 drivers with the occassional 9-5 driver thrown in for good measure!! LOL I totally understand people questioning your decision to own a SAAB.... My family thought I was completley crazy when I bought my C900! Heck they still think i'm crazy! All I know is that I love my car even if it does have issues every now and then!! I think that to be a SAAB guy you have to like things that are unique and not be afraid to take chances in life!

My SAAB = The funnest daily driver I have owned!!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Nikkidanjo
12-05-04, 01:48 PM
I’m going to get slammed for this but…

I drive a SAAB because Ford didn’t make a hatch/wagon version of the Contour SVT (origins of the Mondeo ST200).

However, I have always liked SAAB, especially the C900 and NG900 2 doors. In 2000 I looked at a 93 2 door. I bought the Ford instead because, among other reasons, it was $8000 cheaper. A few years later I decided I needed a vehicle that could haul cargo as well as provide some driving enjoyment on a tight budget. The SAAB fit the bill perfectly. Sold the Ford. The SAAB had about the same mileage but was three years older. I was $4200 up after changing cars. Beyond the utilitarian reasons to like the SAAB, I always thought they were the sort of car that you could own for a very long time rather than a flavor of the month vehicle.
I really miss my Ford (especially the motor) but the SAAB really does fit my needs perfectly.

PS: I seam to fit within most of the target demographics… except that salary one.

misskai
12-05-04, 09:57 PM
Alright...I'm back...see that there's been some fun with this info from a rival site (not sure if I'm allowed to mention it, so I'll leave it @ that). But it's posted on their site to entice one to advertise with them,

Unlike THAT site, we aren't a dictatorship here. You certainly can mention other sites in the context of your post. We won't ban you or anything. ;)

Hehehehe...glad to know it, but I think everyone knows without me saying (typing) it :wink:

Oh, got some lovely news! My 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector in Graphite Green is on it's way! Thanks to Saab Nashua North, I'm finalizing things as we speak. Check out my post for pictures & details:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30194

Enjoying this wonderful site...
Kai :cheesy:

BlackSaab
13-05-04, 10:10 AM
Ok, so just for the stats:

Nope, not really.

No.

Ok, got me...26 and in 1 1/2 months 27. geee..i'm gettinger older. ;)

Yep and before that there where the good old BBS days.

No problem with that...add a few more hours. ;)

Yep.

Yep.

No. Not married and no single ... so engaged in a way. ;)

39% have children.
NO !!

60%+ have pets.
No, or do you want to kill them. I can't even keep a cactus alive!

Nope, germany - european union.

Yep, I even have a Cambridge Certificate. (Still I wonder sometime how I did that when I see all my mistakes and typos. :lol: :roll: )