SaabCentral Forums banner

What if...? Question for techies

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Imspace2 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 9-5 without Navigation. I was thinking about installing an aftermarket Navigation system which would have Navigation, iPod control and Bluetooth.

I know that the Infotainment controls a lot of other settings for the car, but does anyone know what would happen if I set the car the way I wanted and then remove the infotainment system and replace it with an aftermarket unit?

I know that it's not ideal, but if I setup the car the way I want it, as long as I don't have to make changes, I am thinking that the settings won't reset or change without proper input.

#3 ·
Yes, I wish I had gotten Nav but once I saw the Turbo4 Premium with Tech package with only 1200 miles and a bunch of add-ons (cargo management, front and rear mud flaps, protection on the doors and handles, Griffin mats and other things for $24K I knew I had to have it.

I have a Pioneer AVIC-500BT that would fit perfectly in the spot. It seems that it fits perfectly the frame where the radio and buttons are. I just don't know if removing the unit will disable the functionality (not control, obviously) of any component.

If they are managed from the software in the unit, then may not work, akin to removing the hard drive on a computer.

#9 ·
me too! Arctic White / Parchment Turbo4 Premium. It has the technology package (parking assist, lane departure, HUD, parking sensors) and only 1400 miles. The previous owner also had front and rear mud guards installed, griffin carpeted mats, rear cargo management, tinted windows. I just wish I had gotten the navigation unit.

What equipment do you have? Are you happy with it?

#10 ·
I got Fjord Blue with about 24k on it. Just standard version BioPower. Only thing I've gotten for it thus far is new OEM rubber floor mats.

Looking back I wish I got an Aero model but didn't want to spend the amount for the Aero XWD model they had.

I think I saw your car there one day and took pics of the mud flaps because I was considering getting them.

This wouldn't be your car would it? (attached)

Attachments

#13 ·
Can't you not purchase a Saab Navigation system from the people who are fixing them in Pennsylvania? Or can you buy a similar one from GM like in the Buick Regal and install it? I would thing that you could get one from a GM dealer and have them install it? Not sure if it would work but it makes sense.

#14 ·
That's a pretty good idea! Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

#17 · (Edited)
The only issue is with a memory chip. You would notice slight anomalies like the clock always an hour off or the region resetting to Washington DC. There are literally close to a dozen different issues. Typically these are in the 2010's and not the 2011;s but it is possible I guess. The authorized service centers have a special facility to send them out just for these repairs. A typical indie will not have that repair access or access to the software needed for these vehicles.

If you haven't noticed anything by now you are probably good.

The main topic here was whether you could install a Nav in a non-Nav car. "I was just esplainin' it caint be done!" LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.