Should I keep my Saab [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Should I keep my Saab

valbowski1980
8th May 2004, 08:01 PM
Hello ladies and gents.

In two weeks I finish college and will hopefully get a real job. So now the burning question, should I keep my Saab or get something else? It has been a real love-hate relationship so far, on one hand it is great to drive but on the other little things are breaking on it and as you all know they cost tons to fix. In one year of ownership, the 9000 has eaten up more cash than my Honda did in six. Last but not least, if I do get rid of it odds of me ever buying anything with a griffin badge are slim to none since there are many alternatives out there which are more dependable and drive just as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cuba
8th May 2004, 08:06 PM
If you don't want to break down so much, then why not go for a C900 :cheesy:

valbowski1980
8th May 2004, 09:02 PM
I am a big fan of the C900, however their last year was 1993. The next car I get (if I get it) will be much newer and I don't want a GM Saab. I'm not looking to pick a fight with that coment since there are many devoted owners of them and I don't want to argue about what is a Saab and what isn't. I just don't want one.

Saabian
8th May 2004, 09:08 PM
A Honda will spoil anybody as far as reliability goes. The only thing is with Hondas is that they're everywhere. My dad had three Hondas. He bought a VW Golf after those. The Golf is a nice car with a great engine (1.8 turbo) but it has has a myriad of little problems. More problems than my older and higher mileage Saab 900 Turbo. I'm not real sure what 9000s are like, but I don't think I'd buy one. They're not that interesting and I don't think they're built quite as well and the classic 900s. As for me, I'm sticking with Saabs. My 900s are fairly reliable for being as old as they are, extremely practical, and a lot more fun to drive than any Honda (well, my Turbo is more fun than a Civic, but not as much as an S-2000 would be). Maybe I'll buy something other than a Saab some day, but there will probably always be a c900 in the garage.

-Ian

garry
8th May 2004, 09:11 PM
If you are not enthusiastic about either the older SAAB's or the newer SAAB's then I think you should be looking elsewhere.

Try Toyota.

valbowski1980
8th May 2004, 09:14 PM
If you are not enthusiastic about either the older SAAB's or the newer SAAB's then I think you should be looking elsewhere.

Try Toyota.

Nah, Toyota is too bland. I'm thinking Acura. A C900 would be cool to have Ian, however I don't want to restore one at this time.

Dan1
8th May 2004, 09:42 PM
why not a volvo? at least it's still sweedish...

Willy Wonka
8th May 2004, 09:57 PM
As you get older begin reflecting on the lives of the people building and profiting, from your purchases. If they are both the same people it's an easy analysis. If they are not then your particular feelings about either, weigh the decision. I'm not proposing some sort of social responsibilty. Just another way of looking at your future purchasing power.
BTW there was detroit gm joke about lunch break cars. Cars in production during lunch seemed to have a greater number of problems, as did those imediately after. Buy a 10 am or 3pm car. 8)
Try to get a 10am powertrain and 3pm body. :lol:

CosmicSaab
8th May 2004, 10:28 PM
First you really should at least look at the 9-3SS if you are considering a new car in that price range.

Second, if not Saab, then anything from Lexus, Infiniti, and Mercedes-Benz, or the new BMW 6 series!

bassist5
8th May 2004, 10:45 PM
This is just what I would do..

Get another, newer, non-Saab car but keep your 9000 as a second car, or properly stored somewhere and when you have more time/money, restore it. I mean, if you sell it, you probably won't get that much out of it anyways.

Just my $0.02

ragtopcav
8th May 2004, 10:57 PM

Get another, newer, non-Saab car but keep your 9000 as a second car, or properly stored somewhere and when you have more time/money, restore it. I mean, if you sell it, you probably won't get that much out of it anyways.

Just my $0.02said the guy from Utah on post 666 :o :wink: .

Doesn't matter what you get, it may be a turkey or not, just choose something that you're comfortable with, you've already stated that a GM Saab is out of the question so that eliminates some of the best cars to wear the badge, you'd best think of something else.

bassist5
9th May 2004, 12:20 AM

Just my $0.02said the guy from Utah on post 666 :o :wink: .

Lmao, I hadn't realised that :cheesy:

Saabian
9th May 2004, 12:41 AM
Nah, Toyota is too bland. I'm thinking Acura. A C900 would be cool to have Ian, however I don't want to restore one at this time.

Yeah, Toyotas are either A) too bland as is the case with their sedans or B) WaY ToO BuSy LoOkInG as is the case with the Celica, Solara and MR2. Bu who says you have to restore a c 900? I got my 1993 Turbo in good condition with perfect paint, perfect leather, and 75,000 on the clock for a reasonable price. Of course, you cant jsut walk on a lot and pick and chose from a variety of early '90s Saabs in good conditon. If you want an Acura, that's not a bad choice. More interesting than a standard Honda with the same rock solid reliability.

-Ian

Castor Troy
9th May 2004, 12:58 AM
personally, i really want a 3rd gen (86-92ish) toyota supra

heavy_t
9th May 2004, 02:57 AM
I know how you feel on this one. When I bought my 99 about a year and half ago everything that could go wrong did go wrong and it became a real money pit. The thing is I love it so much that I just kept on throwing money at it. Over the last six months or so it has been very well behaved though.

I recently bought a c900 and was considering getting rid of the 99 but when I look at the car I realise I just couldn't bear to do it! So two cars it is.... :D

Both my c900s that I have owned though have been totally reliable so far. Both had been meticuluously (sic) maintained by the previous owners, unlike the 99 :roll: My friend had a 1982 99 for about two years (which recently got stolen :evil: ) which was totally reliable. Again, well maintained by the previous owner.

Maybe you just got unlucky with the 9000, as I'm sure they also have a solid reputation for reliability. I hope your experience doesn't put you off the older Saabs as I would say their reliability is well above average. But you have to get one that's been looked after properly.

valbowski1980
9th May 2004, 03:31 AM
Thanks guys,

My Accord did spoil me quite a bit, an 87DX 175K on the clock all original and it ran like a rolex. It was amazing, nothing broke on that thing.

Willy Wonka and E715: I'm not crazy about the GM thing but it isn't the brand in particular. Just that nothing in Saab's new lineup really stands out (IMO) in comparison to the competition (in particular what comes from Japan). Also a BMW6, Lexus and the others mentioned are gonna be a bit out of my price range, I was thinking something along the lines of a lightly used TSX 6-speed.

BigBobDeBlob: I like Volvos but if I get one it will be the same parts and costs issue as with my Saab.

bassist5: You are right the depreciation is a bit painfull when it comes to Saabs

Saabian: If I find a C900 turbo like yours with those miles, believe me Ill grab it.

Castor Troy: Supras are out since I want 4 doors.

ragtopcav: A Viggen wouldn't be half bad but finding one with 4 doors is damn near impossible.

heavy_t: It is the little things that keep breaking, the engine and such have been good (with the exception of the slow tranny which is just an annoyance). The rub is that these little thing cost big bucks.

I am not fully ready to give this car up since it I do like it a whole bunch and even though I miss the reliablity the Accord wasn't as much fun.

sethsev7n
9th May 2004, 04:03 AM
Actually i see a ton of viggens for sale with 4 doors.. try checking www.saabnet.com classifieds theres usually a few on there.
If you want another car go for an audi a4. Theyre parts are cheap if something goes wrong and they drive beautifully

CosmicSaab
9th May 2004, 09:55 AM
Humm, yeah, I gues a 6 series would be out of your price range, but only by about $45,000! I think you could stretch a little! :o

Also, there is a general concensus that the 9-3SS Aero/Vector handles better than the Acura TSX and TL, but probably will not be as reliable.

Mattlach
9th May 2004, 01:58 PM
I am a big fan of the C900, however their last year was 1993. The next car I get (if I get it) will be much newer and I don't want a GM Saab. I'm not looking to pick a fight with that coment since there are many devoted owners of them and I don't want to argue about what is a Saab and what isn't. I just don't want one.

It really is a mistake to not consider GM Saabs. (well I don't know about the new 9-7x but thats another story)

Saab is still engineering the cars themselves, just using GM for R&D purposes. They fight a concstant battle against the GM leadership that wants them to use cheaper components than they should, but they are doing a good job at getting the cars done well.

Both the 9-5 and the 9-3ss are good solid (and thus far) fairly reliable cars.

My 2001 9-5 Aero 5spd is a dream to drive. Real fun, and plenty of space as well. And it has the advantage of not being "just another beamer".

Just my $.02

convertiblegirl
9th May 2004, 04:09 PM
Too bad there was a black 4 door viggen up here in mass for sale.

Cuba
9th May 2004, 06:24 PM
Valbowski, your just too damned hard to please. :evil:

TheRedRocket
9th May 2004, 10:44 PM
I sold my saab a while back for some similar reasons. High mileage, was needing some work in the future. Same love/hate relationship everyone has. I ended up sharing my dads toyota. Its easier on the pocket book, but everytime I see another C900, I wonder what could have been........

CleveSaab
10th May 2004, 12:30 AM
bassist5: You are right the depreciation is a bit painfull when it comes to Saabs

Saabian: If I find a C900 turbo like yours with those miles, believe me Ill grab it.

Yep, that's some lousy resale value (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=162374983&dealer_id=69398&car_year=1991&make=SAAB&distance=50&max_price=&model=900&end_year=1993&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=44107&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=16), alright. ;)

Sounds to me like your mind is made up. Enjoy the Acura. ;)

Saab-VS-VW
10th May 2004, 04:07 AM
have you looked at one of those dodge (neon) SRT-4's?? under 20 grand and faster than all be damned... its a 2.2 turbo, sticky tires, awesome suspension and some of the nicest stock seats ive ever been in.. i know its a dodge.. hell, i know its a neon.. but i think itd be the only dodge id ever buy... worth a test drive at least.. my dad has an electric blue 04 that he loves... plus they make "stage" kits that stay under warranty.. stage 2 is a tad under 300 hp... stage 3 ( not under warranty, just 1 & 2 ) brings you over 300hp with a switch on the dash to recalibrate ECU and run Cam2 in it...

SPG900
10th May 2004, 06:25 AM
Madza RX-8, obviously. 8)

Cuba
10th May 2004, 07:39 AM
Segway? (http://www.segway.com/)

yfs87
10th May 2004, 08:57 AM
Madza RX-8, obviously. 8)

one of the best damn choices you could make

also get you could get a 1997 300ZX Twin Turbo, those can make sooooo much power easily :o

-wyeth

p.s. so when driving that acura of yours, and you see a saab, dont say we didnt tell ya so :wink: have fun and good luck dude

CleveSaab
10th May 2004, 09:52 AM
have you looked at one of those dodge (neon) SRT-4's?? under 20 grand and faster than all be damned... its a 2.2 turbo, sticky tires, awesome suspension and some of the nicest stock seats ive ever been in.. i know its a dodge..

Girl at work just bought one. I don't think it's all that attractive, but at near VIGGEN horsepower it is a steal. (220-230 HP).

convertiblegirl
10th May 2004, 10:10 AM
If you want a good boost for the money go for a 2004 wrx....seriously its got power. And you can get a good deal on one too.

Rhino2.3t
10th May 2004, 11:35 AM
If you want a good boost for the money go for a 2004 wrx....seriously its got power. And you can get a good deal on one too.

no denying it - they do go (eventuallly) like some big rubber band powered toy (that whistles lots) wooooooo

only drawback in the UK is the image (compared to our trusty SAABs) and muppet insurance premiums.. i heard someone refer to a WRX the other day as 'one of those timmy cars from that film "the daft and the spurious" :cheesy:

each to his own :roll: variety is a good thing.

valbowski1980
10th May 2004, 03:15 PM
This isn't getting any easier. I took it for an extra long spin today and damn this thing is fun to drive. I think that I'm gonna make a "shopping list" of everything that has broken, works when it feels like it or may break soon and depending on how long and scary it is, base my descision on that.

Thanks for the input guys.

convertiblegirl
11th May 2004, 11:36 AM
Well if you decide to check out the wrx..and need any more info I can point ya in the right direction I know someone that just got one. :wink:

valbowski1980
11th May 2004, 12:00 PM
Well if you decide to check out the wrx..and need any more info I can point ya in the right direction I know someone that just got one. :wink:

Thanks convertiblegirl

My beef with the WRX is that it only scores a 6 on EPA's emittions rate. I would like something that is a 8 or higher, this actually another thing that DQs the Saabs. I was also thinking a Prius but I hate automatics.

On another note the shopping list so far includes:

-finding out why my engine eats so goddamn much oil :evil:
-fixing my vague shifter
-fixing the fading brakes
-fixing my cruise which works only when it feels like it
-fixing the low speed on my fan

and if I have any money left
-fixing my heated seat :roll:
-finding all the rattles and fixing them
-CD deck

I am currently taking up a collection :cheesy:

valbowski1980
11th May 2004, 01:59 PM
Yep, that's some lousy resale value (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=162374983&dealer_id=69398&car_year=1991&make=SAAB&distance=50&max_price=&model=900&end_year=1993&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=44107&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=16), alright. ;)

Typical dealer markup. That and nobody with an idea of what one should actually cost would pay that kind of money.

Cuba
12th May 2004, 08:03 AM
-finding out why my engine eats so goddamn much oil :evil:
-fixing my vague shifter
-fixing the fading brakes
-fixing my cruise which works only when it feels like it
-fixing the low speed on my fan

and if I have any money left
-fixing my heated seat :roll:
-finding all the rattles and fixing them
-CD deck

You've got a mornings work there, better get cracking!
You better get up at Dawns crack :lol:

Willy Wonka
3rd February 2006, 05:14 PM
Well what did you end up doing, after the degree. How's the car situation?

Couldn't help but remember. Almost as interesting is the fact that Wolfeman did not post on this thread and Cuba did. He used to participate. back then.

Anyway did you keep your Saab?:cool:

aero1116
3rd February 2006, 06:26 PM
WRX would be awesome, if you didn;t care much about the emissions stuff.

My pick would be a 2006 wrx tr or a Mitsubish Lance Evo RS. The EJ25 engine is much better than the EJ20 it replaces.

valbowski1980
3rd February 2006, 10:39 PM
Wow!

I can't believe this tread came up again, it's been years.

Willy Wonka
I kept the SAAB and in very nasty wreck last August it ended up saving my life. I now have another 9000, this time it's a 1995 FPT though:cheesy:. I gotta say this whole turbo thing is very addictive.

aero1116
I do like the WRX, I just don't like what it costs to insure it. If I switch from SAAB it will be either back to Honda (if I want to be practical) or to a 3-series BMW (RWD :)).

Cojoroh
4th February 2006, 02:08 AM
i've test driven a lot of cars, but the nissan 350z or infiniti g35 (basically the same car) feels the best to drive. if 2-door coupes are on your list, i strongly suggest those. everything from steering, clutch, gearshift to brakes...nothing feels better in my opinion (better than the bmw m3).

dlflyboy
4th February 2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks guys,

My Accord did spoil me quite a bit, an 87DX 175K on the clock all original and it ran like a rolex. It was amazing, nothing broke on that thing.

My '91 Accord SE died at 135k. That was (and is) my last Honda.:evil:

Willy Wonka
4th February 2006, 08:46 AM
Wow!

I can't believe this tread came up again, it's been years.

Willy Wonka
I kept the SAAB and in very nasty wreck last August it ended up saving my life. I now have another 9000, this time it's a 1995 FPT though:cheesy:. I gotta say this whole turbo thing is very addictive.

Val,
Good that the Saab kept you safe. The turbo thing is really addictive. Putting through brooklyn on rt6, trying not to drive too radically.

A blast from the past. :)