BSR Optiflow intake system available for SS [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BSR Optiflow intake system available for SS

Saba
04-05-04, 08:39 PM
In Swedish, but looks promising. $257 USD.

http://www.bsrab.se/products/n354/o31/

http://www.bsrab.se/bilder/_/bsr_4900504.jpg

Vector-SS
04-05-04, 09:40 PM
hmmm.....interesting. But havent some people mentioned that it would pretty much "useless" especially for a turbocharged car or something like that? i saw some numbers 4-8 hk. This is possibly the performance gains that they expect from this system. Thats not too bad

joshd2012
04-05-04, 09:44 PM
Damn, BSR is stepping it up. First the DP and now this. Awesome find.

joshd2012
04-05-04, 09:47 PM
I also saw this on their page:

http://www.bsrab.se/bilder/_/bsr_5630079.jpg

Any idea what it is?

CallipNCSUsaab
04-05-04, 11:47 PM
man that sure would make the turbo spool up real loud.. mmm mmm.

whats this about the downpipe, I havent seen this yet, any links?

RED
05-05-04, 12:12 AM
But havent some people mentioned that it would pretty much "useless" especially for a turbocharged car or something like that?

Plus-Side to cone filter systems - they look and sound cool. Occasionally, they even improve performance if they are particuarly well designed.

Minus-Side to these systems - most are not very well designed, and rely on the filter-material alone for most of the performance gain. You could get all or most of that gain with a drop-in element.

I have a cone intake system on my '86 SVO (2.3l intercooled turbo, 205hp at 5000rpm stock). It has all the features of a very well designed system:

- High quality cone filter (K&N) with data to back-up their low restriction element claims.
- The airbox is fully and tightly sealed; air can enter ONLY through the cold air duct, and not through various pathways from the hot engine compartment. This should be true even when the car is NOT MOVING. If you can see the filter with the hood open, it had better have a very good seal system to keep out hot underhood air.
- The airbox and inlet tube is constructed of thick, insulating plastic... not metal or thin plastic that conducts more heat into the airbox.
- the cone filter actually has a larger surface area than the stock unit it replaces.
- It has been dyno tested and shown to improve performance WITH THE HOOD OF THE CAR CLOSED, and NO LARGE FAN simulating the car moving at high speed. This is the situation that imposes the greatest demands on a system to deliver the coldest air available, whether at a full stop or at speed. Alas, this is not how many manufacturers tests (or magazine tests) are done, and an open-hood test boosts the performance numbers. So I then performed this test on my own to see if it actually did the job as advertised.

Now on my SVO, the stock airbox was really a poor design, so I got a substantial improvement (6%, about 12hp, and almost all the improvement above 4500rpm). Heck, just removing one screen in the airpath got me a 1% improvement, with the old airbox. But this is a '86 design, and our cars are just a wee bit more sophisticated than that.

Bottom line - many of these systems are no better than stock with an improved drop-in filter, and some are even worse. They all SOUND faster, they all SOUND like the turbo lag is less, but that loud whooshing sound has a huge impact on the drivers judgement. Yea, on me too! So be smart, and do it right. Only a dyno test will tell you for sure. Everything else is just marketing.

Saba
05-05-04, 12:31 AM
I'm fairly confident that the gains BSR claims with its products are genuine (based on my own dyno testing of the PPC). But I agree with Red, how much is that an improvement over the Sports filter in the drop in box? A range of 4 - 8hp is a bit wide, ie 8 hp is a 200% improvemnt on 4hp. I suppose it depends on the testing environment as Red pointed out.

Cayman1
05-05-04, 08:51 AM

Any idea what it is?

Maybe a fuel pressure regulator.

Cayman1
05-05-04, 08:53 AM
The intake systems looks good but how can that be worth $257?

I also want to know what they do with the hose that goes back into the top of the stock air box at the front.

Anyone know what this hose is for?

Liquid Calm
05-05-04, 10:07 AM
Hummm.. this looks good. More stuff for me to spend money on. :cheesy:

joshd2012
05-05-04, 11:48 AM
whats this about the downpipe, I havent seen this yet, any links?

http://www.bsrab.se/products/n356/a238/

Someone said they found a picture of it, but I can't seem to find it.

Simon
05-05-04, 12:44 PM
It's not available yet, but will be in about 2 weeks time.

CallipNCSUsaab
05-05-04, 12:52 PM
I guess you heard this straight from BSR simon... you all seem pretty close. Keep SC up on the news with BSR for us...

Nu2Saab
13-05-04, 07:03 PM
Saab newbie here...04 9-3 SS, no mods yet.

I am trying to get a handle on all the possible mods and have one related to intake. The stock system seems fairly adequate for cold air intake as-is. Has anyone modified/replaced the stock "air horn"/intake inlet (hidden behind the small grille on the pass. side)? I have started looking for areas to improve and noticed that the horn is turned upward and inward. One obvious reason is to reduce water and debris from entering the air intake. I was wondering if a modified ram air, by designing an out turned horn that pulls air from the small grille, i.e. dedicate the small grille for ram air would be worth while...or perhaps the stock design is such that a small mod in that department would be insignificant. I would envision doing this with at least a PPC and filter upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
13-05-04, 07:10 PM

Any idea what it is?

Maybe a fuel pressure regulator.

Yes they are Malpassi Fuel Pressure Regulators.

nestoraero
15-05-04, 08:51 AM
It's not available yet, but will be in about 2 weeks time.

It's two weeks time for the last 3 months now...... :roll:
Not your fault of course,but.....

Is the dp going to be available the same time with the cat-back exhaust????

Simon
15-05-04, 10:44 AM
It's two weeks time for the last 3 months now...... :roll: Not your fault of course,but.....

Ummmm.... yes I know. I don't know about the downpipe I haven't asked.

nestoraero
15-05-04, 11:34 AM
It's two weeks time for the last 3 months now...... :roll: Not your fault of course,but.....

Ummmm.... yes I know. I don't know about the downpipe I haven't asked.

Please do me a favour and ask...... :D
I would like to buy the whole thing together..PPC+dp+cat/back+aero=??hp...???torque.....

CallipNCSUsaab
15-05-04, 06:11 PM
I bet it would be around 260HP, as a guess.

nestoraero
16-05-04, 05:01 AM
I bet it would be around 260HP, as a guess.

I hope so too.... :roll:

Simon
19-05-04, 06:42 PM
They said they would let me know closer to the time, which I guess means a little while yet!

nestoraero
19-05-04, 07:38 PM
They said they would let me know closer to the time, which I guess means a little while yet!

Thanks a lot!!!
Keep us posted.... :wink:

p.s.Do you hapen to know if the stage 3 BSR would be a dp/catback/upgraded ppc????
This is just a personal guess,looking at the stage 3 for the previous 9-3....
If so,it is worth waiting for.... :wink:

Automaggot
20-05-04, 12:02 AM
How easy is it to order one of these intakes from the US?

Simon
20-05-04, 03:55 AM
Thanks a lot!!!
Keep us posted.... :wink:

p.s.Do you hapen to know if the stage 3 BSR would be a dp/catback/upgraded ppc????
This is just a personal guess,looking at the stage 3 for the previous 9-3....
If so,it is worth waiting for.... :wink:

Yes that seems to be the case...

Automaggot
20-05-04, 02:15 PM
How can I go about ordering one? What's the easiest way?

Automaggot
20-05-04, 05:20 PM
Anyone? I'm itchin' to try one out and I can't make my own because the damn MAF is on the tube from the airbox.

Simon
20-05-04, 05:46 PM
They are not available just yet...

Automaggot
20-05-04, 06:18 PM
Ohhhhhhhh! <goes back into hole>