City lights changed [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: City lights changed

Cayman1
3rd May 2004, 09:52 AM
So I finally changed out the city/parking lights with the phillips blue vision bulbs.

They look much better as they look white and look much closer to the xenons color than did the old bulbs with a yellowish light.

the key to getting to these bulbs is that you have to remove the hallogen high beam bulbs or you will never reach the city light. Once the halogen light is removed, reach in and find the wires for the city bulb and just pull and it will pop out. change the bulb and push it back in until it clicks in securely.

For the battery side, you need to remove the battery cover and the windshield water resevoir neck. on the front of the batter box there is a thin fuse boxs that runs the width of the battery box. you need to remove this to gain access.
this fuse box slides straight up but there is a catch lever that you have to push out from the inside of the batter box to be able to slide it up and out. Once this is done, you can get to the bulb just like the other side.

hope this helps for those of you wanting to change them.

sjhudon
3rd May 2004, 07:35 PM
You don't have to make things up! :nono; :cheesy:

Can you take some pictures (at night) I'd like to see if this is worth my continued frustration.

Cayman1
3rd May 2004, 07:37 PM
HA!

I will see if i can take some tonight. you won't notice a difference unless you can compare them side to side.

sjhudon
3rd May 2004, 07:41 PM
Oh believe me i'll notice, they have been my arch enemy for 2 weeks now! :cheesy:

CrankCase
3rd May 2004, 09:38 PM
Dunno about pulling wires, man. You sure they are secure enough and I won't end up with a bunch of wire ends in my scratched fingers?

saabie
4th May 2004, 02:48 AM
Crankcase

Don;t worry man. It is true, you got to yank on the wire and the casing housing the bulb will dislodge. I know because I have done it. It is not difficult

Vector-SS
4th May 2004, 03:54 PM
can you please post some pics with the city lights turned on....

Cayman1
4th May 2004, 09:52 PM
Here are some pictures i took tonight of the blue vision city bulbs. they are obviously not as blue as the xenons but much less yellow than the stock bulbs.

solid155
4th May 2004, 10:48 PM
if you can, would you mind taking pictures of both lights from a far? thx.

Cayman1
5th May 2004, 08:27 AM
I tried taking a picture of both lights from further back but the lights just blend together and the camera can't get a good picture.

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks, guys. I knew I had to be brave. Yanking worked! I swapped my city lights for a pair of LED ones. The bulbs are clear, but slightly bluish when lit.

http://img62.photobucket.com/albums/v189/achooms/SAAB%209-3SS/Collage.jpg

My headlamps are halogen, not HID. I use Toucan Eurolite Fusion H7 halogens. They are quite white, but not as white/blue as the LED city lights. So my lights are the opposite sense from Cayman1

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Cayman1
5th May 2004, 09:37 AM
OOOOHHHHH!

those LED lights look good!

what kind are they and where did you get them?

I might need to get some!

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 09:58 AM
It's a Japanese brand "RG - Racing Gear" I bought from the Autobacs dealer in Singapore. I'll try and take a picture of the package tomorrow when it is daylight.

There's a quirk in the LEDs. Whenever I remote lock/unlock my car, whenever the lights come on and then go off, the city lights will flash 9 times at 1-second intervals, before shutting off completely. COOL!

Cayman1
5th May 2004, 10:00 AM
were they expensive?

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 10:11 AM
about US$18/pair

Cayman1
5th May 2004, 10:17 AM
Cool, i didn't know they were that cheap.

do you use the same fitment size? i was told these city lights are W5W which I can't find, what is the size on the LED box?

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 10:23 AM
I think W5W simply means "Wedge"-type 5 Watts.

On the LED box it simply says "12V 17mA". Same wedge-type connection. It works!

Cayman1
5th May 2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks!

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 10:33 AM
Here's a pic I got from their website

http://www.racinggear.co.jp/products/catalog/power_led/w-w.gif

Note the 2 LED housed in one bulb.

http://www.racinggear.co.jp/products/catalog/power_led/rgh-p01.gif

The package. Retails in Japan for 1980

mav238
5th May 2004, 01:07 PM
Here's a pic I got from their website

http://www.racinggear.co.jp/products/catalog/power_led/w-w.gif

Note the 2 LED housed in one bulb.

http://www.racinggear.co.jp/products/catalog/power_led/rgh-p01.gif

The package. Retails in Japan for 1980

Are those legal in Singapore? I know there are a lot of restrictions and regulations in Singapore (came from there, I should know :wink: )

sjhudon
5th May 2004, 01:27 PM
Does anyone have a link for ordering a pair of these?

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 08:38 PM
Are those legal in Singapore? I know there are a lot of restrictions and regulations in Singapore (came from there, I should know :wink: )

I dunno. Will find out at my next LTA inspection, I guess. Should be legal I think, cos they are only position lights, not for road illumination etc.

CrankCase
5th May 2004, 08:42 PM
Does anyone have a link for ordering a pair of these?

I'm going to LA June 27th. I can get you a pair and mail to you from LA. Just PM me. I'll find out from epsilon93 how he managed the payments when he did the aux cables.

Cayman1
6th May 2004, 10:25 AM
Below is a link to find LED's.

Not sure where this company is but the bulbs are dirt cheap.

www.superbrightleds.com

willside
9th May 2004, 11:09 PM
I got set of PIAA H263 and installed last weekend( very hard to reach right side connector, my hands are too big), but strange thing show up. LED works fine when turn it on, LED flashs every 2 secends when turn it off.

Has anyone installed this kinda LED city light before? I guess the detecting signal from computer is activating the LED, due to this kinda LED's power consumption is only 0.24W.

CrankCase
12th May 2004, 05:40 AM
Mine flashes when turned off too. I think its so cool. Funny thing is they don't flash like that on my friend's Mitsubishi.

Some people pay good money to install a flashing city light. We've basically got ours free! Mine always flashes left first, then right.

I think it is the fault detection system that is activating the flashes as it sends out a low signal to find breaks in the loop. My LEDS are only 17mA, so they flash everytime this signal comes thru. COOOOL!

WASAAB
16th May 2004, 03:11 AM
I got PIAA Super Yellow bulbs for my City lights..
Yellow..( not orange ) :wink:

Saba
16th May 2004, 05:23 AM
Yellow..( not orange ) :wink:Hey WASAAB, where ya been? Welcome back.

WASAAB
28th May 2004, 08:17 PM
Yellow..( not orange ) :wink:Hey WASAAB, where ya been? Welcome back.
Nice to see you and everyone again..
It feels good that some of our OGs are still here. :wink:
:P

Dave S
28th May 2004, 09:39 PM
Changing out the left hand side city lights was one of the worst experiences of my life.

WASAAB
29th May 2004, 06:56 PM
Changing out the left hand side city lights was one of the worst experiences of my life.
:cheesy: :cheesy:
I feel you man.. I took 4hrs to get to that tight space..
:wink:

CallipNCSUsaab
29th May 2004, 08:52 PM
I really dont see how you guys were able to change those city lights.. I am 6'6'' and my hands are pretty large I suppose.. its IMPOSSIBLE... I keep trying and trying on several occassions with no luck..

can someone post a pic with the blue bulbs that came from ordering the silverision for MY MOTIVATION.... I need it!!!

how much would the dealer charge to put these in, haha?? I need to blow the bulds somehow so the dealer will replace them for free and just tell them I already bought bulbs to put in their place.

ckholladay21
27th December 2010, 05:45 PM
WASAAB I would love to see the pics of those yellow city lights!

ZENITH X
27th December 2010, 09:02 PM
I tired LEDs in my 08 running lights, and they threw bulb out codes. What are you guys using?

Jn2
27th December 2010, 11:07 PM
There's a quirk in the LEDs. Whenever I remote lock/unlock my car, whenever the lights come on and then go off, the city lights will flash 9 times at 1-second intervals, before shutting off completely. COOL!

thats why i removed mine, i had pure white LEDs in them, took them off within 2 days...the flashing anoyed me, and while it was kinda ok at first, i would joke that its more like a jet now bc of the flashing lights...i removed them and put silvania silverstar bulbs in...

EuroStyle
27th December 2010, 11:27 PM
I run the PIAA Ion Yellows and love the look....the change out is only possible to me if you take the high beam bulb out. Just remember to wipe the new city lights with alchohol (not Grey Goose) before installing, and then they high light bulbs to make sure there is no hand grease. You can pull them out by the wires, just don't go nuts...

Sean