Wheel ripped off car!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Wheel ripped off car!!

Mattlach
3rd May 2004, 10:48 AM
I recently posted this thread (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29557) with more details, but I wanted to ask those of you in here what you think?

Is it reasonable that a 2001 Saab should have a wheel ripped off (hub,cvjoint and all) in a 25mph impact with an average height inclined curb?

I'm trying to figure out if I have any recourse to go to Saab waranty and claim that the car must have been defective for such a minor curb impact to cause this kind of damage.

I mean, I have hit curbs way harder with other cars I have owned over the years without even knocking off my alignment.

What do you people think?

DeLorean
3rd May 2004, 11:04 AM
Well I am taking a class in engineering dynamics right now. I can tell you that hitting something the wrong way like a curb, even one at low speeds can put hundreds of thousands of pounds of force on parts like wheel hubs for a split second. If you hit it and the forces were somehow transferred to a part of the car that was not designed for a high amount of force... SNAP! As for this being covered my warranty, dream on... unless you can tell them "I was just driving along and the wheel fell off" that could work, but they will probably inspect it and find that there is curb damage / broken suspension parts... Also, you seem to be will versed in hitting curbs :-? you should probably try to avoid those. All in all, this sounds like the normal result from hitting a curb. Now, granted, the NG-900 does have a rather flimsy front suspension. it's not going to take to hitting a curb like a V-8 RWD American car is… something like that will drive right over one, get no damage in the process, keep on going and not even loose it's alignment out of it.

Mattlach
3rd May 2004, 11:33 AM
Also, you seem to be will versed in hitting curbs :-? you should probably try to avoid those.

Agreed. Although I have never had a real accident, I have been kbnown to swerve into a few curbs in my day, when something particularly big and scary was coming my way...

All in all, this sounds like the normal result from hitting a curb.

Eww. That was NOT what I was hoping to hear at all.

However, BOTH tow truck drivers that arrived on the scene seemed puzzled how that amount of damage couls be inflicted by a curb impact.

Well. My inmsurance will cover it either way, but I'd rather not pay my deductible and raise my premiums if I can show that some weakness or error in the car caused the damage to be of this extent.

Thanks for your input.

AeroMax
3rd May 2004, 12:42 PM
Make a comprehensive insurance claim, and stop driving over stuff dude.

Mattlach
3rd May 2004, 12:46 PM
Make a comprehensive insurance claim, and stop driving over stuff dude.

That was exactly my plan. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to pay for it through my insurance, if it was something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

From the only respnse I have had thus far it seems as if my first assumption (that if a wheel comes off that easily, something must be wrong) may have been wrong.

DeLorean
3rd May 2004, 01:21 PM
Well you could always TRY to see if they will cover it under warranty... I don't think they will go for it, but who knows. otherwise, go the insurance route.

yfs87
3rd May 2004, 01:34 PM
curbs...gotta hate them...my c900 had an 'encounter' with one, came out with the wheel on, but not good, lots of suspension damage :-?

04Arc
3rd May 2004, 02:25 PM
Is it reasonable that a 2001 Saab should have a wheel ripped off (hub,cvjoint and all) in a 25mph impact with an average height inclined curb?

I was recently cut off while driving my wifes 2003 Toyota Celica GT-S. I had to drive up the curb, over some bushes, then down the other side to avoid hitting the bit...er...lady who cut me off.

It didn't even knock the Celica out of alignment, and I was going about 40 when I hit the curb.

Mattlach
3rd May 2004, 02:34 PM
It didn't even knock the Celica out of alignment, and I was going about 40 when I hit the curb.

Oh Wow.. Sounds like you did some more offroading than I did. Glad you're ok.

See.. this has been my experience with curbs in the past. They may pop your tire or mess up your alignment, and if you have really bad luck even bend your rim...

The whole thing about the car being torn apart by it really sketches me out though...

ejenner
3rd May 2004, 03:55 PM
Well - hit a curb at about 40mph in my Mitsubishi Galant and not much happened - car jolted a bit... :cheesy:

There was a bit of alloy missing as well... Wheel didn't fall off though.

Also did the same in my Fiesta Zetec S - (I've only learnt to drive recently - so been a bit mad up to this point) More alloy gone than on the Mitsubishi and this was at a slower speed.

Also am quite practiced at loosing the rear end and slamming into curbs. I've been through three rear sub fames on the Fords I've had.

Never had my suspension collapse as Mattlach describes. Don't think it'll be sorted under warranty either.. :-?

CleveSaab
3rd May 2004, 03:59 PM
Well I am taking a class in engineering dynamics right now. I can tell you that hitting something the wrong way like a curb, even one at low speeds can put hundreds of thousands of pounds of force on parts like wheel hubs for a split second.

I hit a curb, probably about that same speed. Rear wheel connected and BENT THE AXLE!!! (This on a V8 american rear wheel drive Firbird).

Jetset
3rd May 2004, 04:16 PM
I thought that modern european regulation cars where supposed to withstand a 30mph collision with a standard hight curb (however high that is) without permanat damage (might miss-align the steering).

I've tried looking on the web but can't find any references. I would talk to saab, doesn't sound right to me.

Nikkidanjo
3rd May 2004, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, yes it is reasonable to loose the wheel et al. The city of Atlanta has been busy adding new curbs to the islands between traffic directions (the 2-3 foot wide section between north and south bound) just after many of our intersections. Unfortunately some brilliant SOB decided to add 4” tall square cut curbs rather than rounded curbs thus ensuring substantial damage to any unfortunate car that hits one. This alone is not that bad except that in many of these intersections the lanes shift 1/2 lane over as you drive though the intersection. Thus if you are in the inside lane and drive strait to the other side of the intersection you will wreck your car. Good thinking huh?
Depending on the circumstances, I sympathize with victims of curb impacts.

Slaab4life
3rd May 2004, 09:24 PM
Well I am taking a class in engineering dynamics right now. Yay dynamics! I think applying the A(t) and N(t) equations will fix this problem right up. Mattlach, seems your the closest SC member to me, over in Providence, sorry to hear about the car. Curious how the impact to the curb occur, think i read 25 mph, but how did the wheel meet the curb? like it should have just rode up along it?

Willy Wonka
3rd May 2004, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear of the mess. Tiverton has a stretch of road where they are using 1" metal plates to cover trenches. I dread that, and have to drive at least 4 times a day. :roll:
Sounds like your chasis is probably bent too. If there was enough force to tear out/off stuff and it was fastened properly, then there probably was enough force to cause the front rail on the frame to bend. There are shops that use lasers to align the frame. Claim it to the insurance, and get a complete comprehensive analysis/estimate. Good luck.

Mattlach
4th May 2004, 12:09 PM
Mattlach, seems your the closest SC member to me, over in Providence, sorry to hear about the car. Curious how the impact to the curb occur, think i read 25 mph, but how did the wheel meet the curb? like it should have just rode up along it?

Nice to see that there are some SC'ers in the area.

heres the breakdown...

http://members.cox.net/forgreatjustice/wheel.gif

A. Travelling roughly 40mph. Spot a group of unusually attractive members of the fairer sex at W. Slow down and appreciate the view. (mistake #1 I need to work on my gawking tendencies :nono; )

B. Travelling at approx. 25 - 30 mph. Looking up and suddenly remembering where I am. Hit breaks + turn wheel.

C. Stopped halfway up in the grass, with damage mentioned above.

After that walkthrough, its probably safe to say the wheel hit the curb at least slightly from the side, which probably better explains the damage, but I am still not convinced that something like this should take a wheel off...

Paco
4th May 2004, 12:31 PM
Excellent diagram!

I suspect it's the angle of attack that is the cause of the problems, if you had hit it straight, it would probably be 2 bent rims and not much else, but I guess you would have been going faster :(

How high was the curb? (sorry if I missed....)

Mattlach
4th May 2004, 12:59 PM
Excellent diagram!

Why thank you :) It's funny what one can accomplish on a particularly slow day at work.

I suspect it's the angle of attack that is the cause of the problems, if you had hit it straight, it would probably be 2 bent rims and not much else, but I guess you would have been going faster :(

I'm starting to think so as well. I still feel that the end result is somewhat extreme, but I guess you can't win em all.

How high was the curb? (sorry if I missed....)

It was probably roughly 4", but it was one of those inclined asphalt curbs, not the straight kind.

Alex
4th May 2004, 01:10 PM
It depends on whether it was the wheel or the tyre that caught the curb. Catching the metal will transfer large loads into the suspension components in directions that they were not designed to take.

Some modern cars do seem to have sacrificial suspension mounting systems to try and prevent damage to the chassis.

Mattlach
4th May 2004, 01:44 PM
Some modern cars do seem to have sacrificial suspension mounting systems to try and prevent damage to the chassis.

That is very interesting. Does anyone know if this is the case in the 9-5?

Dan1
4th May 2004, 02:53 PM
i run over curbs all the time with my c900...i haven't had a problem yet. you sure you didn't just have tunnel-vision and was actually going like 40mph?

Alex
5th May 2004, 08:36 AM
My local mechanic recently bought a damaged 9-5 from an auction which had been involved in a collision between a kerb and the front wheel, this had also ripped the lower suspension arm from the body. Don't know what the speed of impact was though.

He repaired the lower mount points (welded a thick washer over the damage) reconnected the suspension, and when he measured from a couple of datums to check for further damage there was none.

Mattlach
5th May 2004, 12:18 PM
He repaired the lower mount points (welded a thick washer over the damage) reconnected the suspension, and when he measured from a couple of datums to check for further damage there was none.

interesting... maybe it is a sacrificial system then...

I'm still hoping my claims adjuster won't call the car a total loss, because with the the options I have, this car is pretty hard to find, if I need to replace it :(

Mattlach
12th May 2004, 03:34 PM
I KNEW I WASN"T GOING INSANE!!!

I just got a call from the dealer working on my car. What the mechanic said (in laymans terms, casue I can't explain it correctly) was that it appeared as if the ball joint wasnt properly bolted on, and the wheel assembly was more or less being held in place by the tie-rod. (this is a really really scary considering what could have happened on the highway)

Anyway. I have a claim number form saab customer service, and with a little luck, I should be able to warrant it :)

DeLorean
12th May 2004, 03:39 PM
Cool, who was the last person to work on your cars suspension? whom ever it was, probably forgot to bolt it back together properly :o

Mattlach
12th May 2004, 03:48 PM
Cool, who was the last person to work on your cars suspension? whom ever it was, probably forgot to bolt it back together properly :o

I have no idea. The car is a 2001 with 31k miles on it when I bought it. When I bought it it came right out of a Saab lease, so I'm guessing it was a Saab dealer, but apart from that I'm not sure.

I dont know if I should expect someone to have worked on the suspension on a 2001 with 31k miles

PatrickLee
29th May 2004, 10:52 PM
Something like this happened to me (and led to me getting a Saab).

I was in my 1999.5 VW Passat and I went slightly out of my lane in a construction zone and hit one of those orange construction barrels (not the water filled crash barriers, the hollow ones with the sandbag in the breakaway bottom). Tore my fricking front wheel off AND three of my airbags went off. Totalled the car.

Pictures in the album...

http://homepage.mac.com/patricklee/PhotoAlbum2.html

From what I could gather from looking at the crash scene, I did NOT hit the retaining wall, because if I had been close enough to the wall to hit it I would have barreled through a construction sign at the end of that stretch of shoulder on my way to where I ended up. So as far as I can tell the sandbag or the barrel ripped my suspension a new one.

Mattlach
30th May 2004, 12:01 AM
Something like this happened to me (and led to me getting a Saab).

Yeah that looks sortof like what happened to me. The only difference is I had no body damage. The wheel just kinda folded under the car..