Left front tire wear? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Left front tire wear?

FRANKINAUS
4th July 2002, 10:06 PM
My left front tyre is wearing on the outside edge. I had it aligned a while back but it seems even worse now.
Used to have a Volvo 240 (boring...) and it did the same thing.
The guy at the tire place said it's a Swedish thing...happens all the time.
Is it because it's Right Hand Drive?
Does the same thing happen on LHD USA Saabs?
Anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks Frank

Jo K
4th July 2002, 11:10 PM
G'day :smile:

I would say that it is caused by poor alignment. It's quite common and I have had the same problem.

The left-hand wheel takes quite a bit of effort to get right (there isn't much room) and most alignment shops won't bother. I think its the camber/caster that's the hard bit, but don't quote me on that.

Most shops will set the basics and that's it. To put the shims in requires a bit too much hard work (perhaps even two people working on it at once).

I suggest that you phone a Saab dealer or indie and ask them for a recommendation; otherwise it's hit and miss, and most often miss.

I hope this helps

Cheers.
Joseph K

rich
5th July 2002, 07:30 AM
yeah, sounds about right jo...

last year i fitted trent saab lowering springs and konis myself. trent strongly recommended i had the geometry re-set, not by any old place, but by a dealer.

so i went to one in london. it took them the best part of two days - reshimming on the the right is easy, you just reach into the engine bay and do. it's the left that's the problem - the alternator has to come off and even then there is v limited space for getting spanners on. a bolt sheared when they tried, and they had to replace this.

the dealer ended up doing a brilliant job but it cost me six hundred quid!!! - far more than i paid for the springs and shockers

with hindsight of course i should have got trent to fit & align for me - but then they're in nottingham and i'm in london...

Alwyn678
8th July 2002, 10:31 AM
Yeah I have the Same problem in the us......I had to put on two new tires this weekend

Jo K
8th July 2002, 04:51 PM
I'm sorry, 600 quid for a wheel alignment?! You mean 60 quid....

rich
8th July 2002, 05:19 PM
Jo - i do mean 600 - that's a day and a half's work at a London Saab main dealer (CitySaab for those interested...) Learnt my lesson. never again mate! me and my brilliant mobile independent mechanic (Chris McGuiness)from now on...

Jo K
8th July 2002, 08:42 PM
I'm speechless.

FRANKINAUS
15th July 2002, 02:27 AM
WOW!!!
Thats the same cost as ten Goodyear Eagle F1 in Sydney!