Prague. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Prague.

Munki
28th April 2004, 05:26 PM
I'm off to Prague for a few days next week with some friends. Has anyone got any tips, hints, advice on what to do/what not to do or good bars to visit?

Any Saabists out there?

Alanb
28th April 2004, 05:45 PM
There is a motor museum (possibly called a 'technical museum') just north of the river which is well worth a visit.
Obviously, take a trip to the castle and, have a beer and a smoke of the pipe outside one of the cafes.

There are lots of tourist traps so when I last went I walked just out of the city centre to a real locals bar and had the time of my life. You can get totally p*ssed for just a few quid while surrounded by old men smoking cheap fags who look like they've just done an engine swap on their Skoda Estelle.

Alanb

tandino
28th April 2004, 05:58 PM
who look like they've just done an engine swap on their Skoda Estelle.

Having just fininshed mine i know what that feels like - id fit in quite nicely 8) - except it'd be a pipe of course :lol: :lol:

Pete.

Stuart
28th April 2004, 06:23 PM
I'm off to Prague for a few days next week with some friends. Has anyone got any tips, hints, advice on what to do/what not to do or good bars to visit?

Mate

I had the good fortune to visit Prague on a stag do about 18 months ago.

We used these people and I'd recommend them (in fact I have, my feedback is on their website) - http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/ - not only will they transport you and your party altogether from airport to hotel door and back again, safely and cheaply, they will also offer advice on where to go and what to see.

The guy who owns the business is an ex-pat American who also owns a good bar in Prague.

Saturday afternoons often mean that you can find live Premier league footy on the telly in bars - avoid the so-called 'sports bars' as they're v.expensive (for Prague) and instead go in the side streets (look out for "Golf Sale" style posters tied to lamposts advertising the footy in a bar). Avoid curry houses in Prague - they're not very good. Hot dogs in Wenceslas Square will fill a hole and probably give you the trots as well.

There's a club on Wenceslas Square called Club Duplex - it's a rooftop 'disco' with lots of totty and Smirnoff Ice really cold - I tell ya, when you've been drinking lager all day these little bottles really refresh you and top off the night just fine!

Brewery tours are always an option - make sure you have breakfast first.

The, err hmm, working ladies of Prague are a bit woofy - much better to go to said club and have fun getting knocked back by top class Czech totty.

You will have a corking time - I know I did (from what I remember...) :oops:

valbowski1980
28th April 2004, 06:28 PM
I spent about a week just walking around and I was never borred. Tons too see and all on a budget :) If you are into great beer, the restaurants in "Staroe Mesto" are great since many make their own.

nutcase
28th April 2004, 07:14 PM
I spent a week there in '96 (and hence can't remember any decent bars, and I guess it's got a lot more touritsy since then - and more expensive).

However, as Alan says, aim for the non-tourist bits, things get a lot cheaper and a lot better. 99.9% of the locals I met spoke very good english, but try and say thank you etc. in Czech. Always helps I found to try (ok, so I never managed it in Belgium :oops:)

IIRC:

Dobry Den: Hello
Nashledanou: Goodbye
Prosim: Please (or the equivalent of "Can I help you" in a shop).
Pivo: Beer (Un Pivo prosim = one beer, please)

I have a "practical" phrase guide somewhere if it's of interest.

Prague is an amazing city. Everyone is friendly (except if you speak Russian apparently!), and for us it is very cheap (when I went it was ~17p for a litre of Pilsner Urquell from an offlicence and ~25 for a half litre in a bar. I gather it is now more like 40p for a half litre in a bar. Still silly cheap though! I so want to go back, but all of my frineds who are int that kind fo thing have gone recently anyway. There's talk of a visit to Budapest though which should be equally as fascinating.

Enjoy you're trip - I hate you :P

Munki
28th April 2004, 07:17 PM
Cheers Stu. That transfer service looks ideal. 8)
I have a "practical" phrase guide somewhere if it's of interest.
That would be of interest if you can get it to me in time.

nutcase
28th April 2004, 07:37 PM
PM me your address and you should have it for Friday. I will want it back though :)

Simon
28th April 2004, 08:10 PM
My two vivid memories of Prague are the most expensive meal I have ever had - long story! and being propositioned by a lady (pig ugly as well) of the night while walking through the middle of Prague at about 1 o'clock in the morning a bit worse for wear with my arm around my other half! :o

brunp
28th April 2004, 08:51 PM
We do have a fellow SaabCentralite who lives in the Czech Republic and owns a Vert (his handle is: ttuurrbboo). You can see his post in the 9-3 forum.

I have been to Prague 8 times since 1990 as my family is from there and I have always had a blast. I would agree with the other posters in this forum. The local pubs are the best, however, you can't beat having a nice cool beer while overlooking the entire city just under the Prague Castle. It is just the best.

I haven't been to any of the aformentioned museums, disco's, etc, but I suspect that they are all good.

Have a great time there. I will be returning to Prague next summer....the money factor the key, otherwise, I would have been back there this year.

Paul

greenphotos
29th April 2004, 05:51 AM
My Parents and brother went there and had a great time, 2 days after they got back it flooded!

Have a good time :cheesy:

fura
29th April 2004, 09:48 AM
Check this website:
http://www.inyourpocket.com/cr/prague/en/

You can also get those 'In your pocket' guides printed on paper.
I find them very useful.

Gordy
29th April 2004, 10:37 AM
I'll expect a full report on your return Munki as I'm heading out there at the end of May for 5 days. :cheesy:
http://www.skellys.free-online.co.uk/travelpic/czech/cz_beer.jpg

Russell
29th April 2004, 12:02 PM
...lovely place, friendly people and very very cheap compared to western European prices. Watch out in the Cafes in the Old Town Square, they overcharge... but apart from that, can't go wrong really.

Great beer and as will all parts of Eastern Europe, they have a love affair with the pig and all bits thereof, so if you are a vegie, you may well go hungry ...

Gordy
17th May 2004, 02:15 AM
Munki,

How did you get on? Anything I should know before I head off next Sunday? Any recommendations (bearing in mind that I'll be with my girlfriend :cheesy: )

heavy_t
17th May 2004, 03:23 AM
PM me your address and you should have it for Friday. I will want it back though :)

Oh you will get it back, but probably covered in curry and lager stains :cheesy: :wink:

nutcase
17th May 2004, 04:36 AM
Pretty mich the same as I sent it then :cheesy:

Gordy
28th May 2004, 03:30 PM
Just got back. Brilliant place - much cheap beer and lots of culture and architecture. Got pickpocketed though. Full report later.

Stuart
29th May 2004, 05:51 AM
Got pickpocketed though. Full report later.

Gordy - what a bummer..

It wasn't 'romany-looking-women' was it? Been there done that and got the t-shirt too..

susan55
15th June 2006, 04:18 PM
I absolutly agree .. Prague is Great. We stayed at TOP HOTEL PRAHA and enjoyed a lot. We used this service www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk (http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk)

Mate

I had the good fortune to visit Prague on a stag do about 18 months ago.

We used these people and I'd recommend them (in fact I have, my feedback is on their website) - http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/ - not only will they transport you and your party altogether from airport to hotel door and back again, safely and cheaply, they will also offer advice on where to go and The guy who owns the business is an ex-pat American who also owns a good bar in Prague.

Saturday afternoons often mean that you can find live Premier league footy on the telly in bars - avoid the so-called 'sports bars' as they're v.expensive (for Prague) and instead go in the side streets (look out for "Golf Sale" style what to see.

posters tied to lamposts advertising the footy in a bar). Avoid curry houses in Prague - they're not very good. Hot dogs in Wenceslas Square will fill a hole and probably give you the trots as well.

There's a club on Wenceslas Square called Club Duplex - it's a rooftop 'disco' with lots of totty and Smirnoff Ice really cold - I tell ya, when you've been drinking lager all day these little bottles really refresh you and top off the night just fine!

Brewery tours are always an option - make sure you have breakfast first.

The, err hmm, working ladies of Prague are a bit woofy - much better to go to said club and have fun getting knocked back by top class Czech totty.

You will have a corking time - I know I did (from what I remember...) :oops:

susan55
15th June 2006, 04:19 PM
You can also check www.prague-guide.co.uk (http://www.prague-guide.co.uk) they have quite good guides about Prague.

Check this website:
http://www.inyourpocket.com/cr/prague/en/

You can also get those 'In your pocket' guides printed on paper.
I find them very useful.

Jezzadee
15th June 2006, 05:10 PM
Looks pretty amateur really.

4saabstoomany
15th June 2006, 05:16 PM
is it just me or did this thread rise from teh grave? I mean Pete posted in teh darn thing.. it MUST be old :-P