engine swap??? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: engine swap???

saabluster
21-04-04, 11:53 AM
Wondering if there is a good reason why a newer 900 or 9-3 engine could'nt fit in my C900. Its a 2.0 not the 2.3. I want the refinement of the balance shafts. 8)

Alex
21-04-04, 12:53 PM
Its designed for use with a transverse gearbox and won't fit onto the longitudinal box in the c900.

saabluster
22-04-04, 12:25 AM
What exactly would not fit? I'm going to use the manifolds from the old one so whats going to keep it from fitting? Mounting bolts?

Oil_Eater
22-04-04, 03:00 PM
1/2 on your tranny is actually the oil pan. when you separate the tranny from the engine, you are looking at the bottom of the engine's crankshaft. The crank needs room to throw the con rods throughout it's arc. The 900 tranny/engine were designed as a unit.

Jay

Vince T
22-04-04, 06:09 PM
The most obvious difference is in the height of the blocks. The later cars have 'straight up' blocks. The c900 blocks, B201, B202 or B212, all have the cylinder bores inclined at an angle to allow it all to fit under the hood. Even if the straight up blocks could fit, and there may be differences in the mounting holes in the mating surfaces, the straight up block would probably contact the hood.

I'm not certain, but there may also be an issue with the crank centre of the straight up block not lining up with the clutch/input shaft on the c900 tranny.

That said, anything is possible with enough effort. I think someone, somewhere mated up a BMW engine to a c900 tranny. Personally, I'm thinking doing up a c900 with an all aluminnum block Nissan SR20DET would be neat....the weight savings is huge. I've picked up both bare B202 and SR20 blocks before, and the latter is like a feather....

saabluster
23-04-04, 01:49 AM
1/2 on your tranny is actually the oil pan. when you separate the tranny from the engine, you are looking at the bottom of the engine's crankshaft. The crank needs room to throw the con rods throughout it's arc. The 900 tranny/engine were designed as a unit.

Jay
Thanks for your input. I have replaced the trans. on my car all by my wee little self so I do know a little something. :wink: The crank clearance issue is just on the 2.3 engine not the 2.0s as far as I know. The only thing I worry about is whether the input shaft lines up. And the length of the engine. I read somewhere they made the engine shorter for the ng900.

Matthew
23-04-04, 05:01 AM
I think someone, somewhere mated up a BMW engine to a c900 tranny.
Might have been the other way around... Jonas in Sweden with his 500BHP C900 is/has mated the B202T onto a BMW M5 gearbox for rear-wheel drive. He's apparently now going for 800BHP from the humble B202 :o

Saab-Daniel
23-04-04, 09:37 AM
Excatly, Jonas is going for Rwd-solution...
Think he is still working on it, haven't heard from him in a while... Maybe he's cooking up something crazy... But then again, 800 Bhp would qualify as beeing insane...
Daniel.