BSR Stage 1 or 2? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BSR Stage 1 or 2?

Maverickvii
20th April 2004, 04:26 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have a '03 merlot lpt and recently have bought new 5-spokes and added a koni/b&g suspension package. Now I'm looking upgrade the engine. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a stage 1 or 2 ECU from BSR. I'm wondering whether the stage 2 is really worth the extra money; it's only an extra +4bhp. Also, my car has a hidden exhaust so I'd have to get a different bumper to install the performance exhaust of the stage 2. Can anyone speak to any big benefit of going with the extra mod? Thanks,

Joe

Simon
20th April 2004, 05:49 PM
Stage 1 & 2 software is the same, so if you bought a stage 1 ECU or PPC now you could add the exhaust at a later date without having to change the software. You could wait until the original system needs replacing.

Maverickvii
20th April 2004, 08:48 PM
Oh interesting. Certainly was unaware of that. Thanks for the help Simon.

Joe

nengland
21st April 2004, 05:56 PM
Also, my car has a hidden exhaust so I'd have to get a different bumper to install the performance exhaust of the stage 2.
Joe

Oh... I have a '99 9-5 SE and was planning to move it to a stage two. Would I need another bumper? Can anyone confirm or deny?

-Neil :-?

Simon
21st April 2004, 06:58 PM
I thought all 9-5's had a cut out in the rear bumper. Maybe not in some markets?

Maverickvii
22nd April 2004, 12:03 AM
Hey Nengland, I think it's only the linear that has the bumper covering the exhaust and only the 2002-3 models for that matter.

GenSaab
22nd April 2004, 10:54 AM
There are a few specific systems for cars without the cutout. You also have another option of getting a spoiler piece that allows you to use all of the common systems.

As for Stg 1 vs. Stg 2 it really depends on fuel and climate. If the car is octane limited already you will not gain much from a Software only upgrade. There is no one magic answer.

Nick Taliaferro

XAAMOTTOMAAX
26th April 2004, 02:35 AM
If you can afford it I would suggest getting the exhaust and any other "breathing" mods that fit in your budget. While power per dollar seems to be the main concern and adding expensive mods to go with an ECU can be expensive, it is much better for the engine's health to have the better breathing. With an upgraded ECU running the stock exhaust and downpipe, exhaust fumes can back up into the engine. With the stock intake pipe, intake temps can get too high. Any ECU upgrade should be accompanied by NGK BCPR7ES11 plugs (cheap), a new downpipe and exhaust (expensive) and if you really want to optimize, add the intake pipe and even the intercooler upgrades. If power per dollar is most important, stick with the stage 1 ECU and call it a day.