How to get the Saab wave from c900 drivers [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How to get the Saab wave from c900 drivers

heavy_t
20th April 2004, 09:45 AM
I have now had three consecutive waves in the c900 and here's how to do it....

- First when you see one approaching assume it will piloted by an old codger. Nine times out of ten it's going to be a silvertop in a 900i :wink:

- You need to get his attention early to distract him from his Werthers Originals, so give him a single flash of the lights :idea

- Now you've got his attention give him a wave.

- Most likely he will wave back. Usually more out of confusion than any kind of understanding but hey, it works! 8)

:lol:

greenphotos
20th April 2004, 10:00 AM
I agree about the silvertops. There was one old werthers sucker that could hardly see over the top of the wheel! The best thing though was as they were going round the roundabout at 'Not so OAP' Speeds, he was grinning and his wife with Wilma Rubble hair was bracing her self against the dash and the window, proving once again, Saabs may be old but they still shift after all these years!

Mark
:cheesy:

roller girl
20th April 2004, 10:58 AM
no one waves anymore! even when you do something nice for them, as opposed to having the same really excellent brand of car!! over here it is about exactly like heavy_t said if they do wave back it is more out of confusion than any kind of understanding

that and so many Saab owners over here aren't really enthusiastic about their cars...to them they are just another car...can you imagine?!?!? the horror!!! :o

Paco
20th April 2004, 11:08 AM
Try saluting.... that really freaks people out :cheesy:

fabric
20th April 2004, 12:29 PM
If you have a fully loaded convertible, you could do "the wave," front to back, or side to side.

roller girl
20th April 2004, 12:36 PM
that would be hilarious!

one could also try, with at least 4 people in the car (although it works with 2)...everyone sticks their arms out the window and flaps them up and down like a birds wings....sounds stupid, probably is but is really funny!

but i digress....

Jezzadee
20th April 2004, 03:17 PM
I got a peace sign today through the sunroof :D

MonkeyMan
20th April 2004, 09:27 PM
I got a peace sign today through the sunroof :D

Wouldn't that be the victory sign? :lol:

BEN

Teck_II
20th April 2004, 09:52 PM
Pretty wierd I got a nice wave from an older gentleman riding shotgun in a Vette this weekend. Perhaps he is a saab owner :-??

Willy Wonka
20th April 2004, 11:22 PM
Sunday I got multiple flashes and a wave. Thought i aught to slow, just in case. Around the curve was a speed trap. Got to thank some red new 900.

RM '92 SPG
20th April 2004, 11:28 PM
The C900s seem to be owned by old art professors and general odd-folk (somewhat like us) around here and that's about it! There are so few C900s on the road in thsi area that you'd be lucky to find one a week, let alone a wave from a driver! :)

-Rob

yfs87
21st April 2004, 07:48 AM
i always give the saab wave except for a few exceptions...

1) middle aged women - 99% of the time they are driving a saab because their husband bout them 'just another luxury car'
2) rednecks - if they do anything, they presend a certian finger and a disgrace to saabists everwhere, ive only seen 2 rednecks in saabs in recent memory
3) senile old people - there just comes a point when it is pointless.... :o

ummmm, couple more too but i wont talk bout that lol

for the most part everyone gets the flick of the wrist and the gleeful patented saab grin, only people in the extremeties of these catagories...or fußball moms lol. :wink: :cheesy:

-wyeth

Matthew
28th April 2004, 08:54 AM
I was so shocked and unprepared to get a Saab wave from a new 9-5 Estate driver, that I didn't wave back :lol: :oops:

SaabScott
28th April 2004, 07:54 PM
I was so shocked and unprepared to get a Saab wave from a new 9-5 Estate driver, that I didn't wave back :lol: :oops:

Put your keys away ... you're grounded Mister! :nono;

zingZACH
28th April 2004, 08:00 PM
I wave to every saab.... new and old..... old especially. I have gotten some waves back, and some confused looks. I gave this one guy a huge thumbs up and was nodding my head up and down in approval.... he had a silver viggen.... DROOOOL.... he laughed and gave me a nice wave with a smile on his face :) I usually give people the two finger peace sign dealy... heh

CleveSaab
29th April 2004, 12:35 AM
HUNT 'EM DOWN, FRIENDS! (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17892)

:oops:
/coat?

greenphotos
29th April 2004, 05:23 AM
There was a black c900 T16s on the M3 today on the way to work, lowered, aftermarket wheels, private plate C13ARY - my other dream Saab.

He came up behind me in the fast lane and I let him pass, and I gave him a thumbs up and waved, he just looked at me oddly so I dropped behind him and we drove for a mile or too in medium traffic, I saw my exit so I pulled into the middle lane and with a bit of space infront of me powered past him and waved again, once again got a blank look so I sped off into the inside lane and off the junction.

My question is, if he cares enough about his T16s to lower it and put nice wheels on, then why when he sees a Black 9000 Aero does he ignore me? Scared of the pipe or something? :wink:

Mark

garry
29th April 2004, 06:58 AM
As a T16s owner I am disgusted by this behavior..... C13ARY gets a big 'Pipe down' from me :(

Matthew
29th April 2004, 09:11 AM
Get yer coat Cleve :cheesy:

There's a nice Imola Red L-plate (1993/94) C900 T16S convertible in the car park here at work. I really want to print off a SaabCentral flyer and stick it under the windscreen wiper! :cheesy: :oops:

CleveSaab
29th April 2004, 10:17 AM
Yep, have to admit, the c900 folks are most certainly the easiest to get waves from....but not all of them.

D. Wolfe
29th April 2004, 10:38 AM
i always give the saab wave except for a few exceptions...

1) middle aged women - 99% of the time they are driving a saab because their husband bout them 'just another luxury car'
2) rednecks - if they do anything, they presend a certian finger and a disgrace to saabists everwhere, ive only seen 2 rednecks in saabs in recent memory
3) senile old people - there just comes a point when it is pointless.... :o

ummmm, couple more too but i wont talk bout that lol

for the most part everyone gets the flick of the wrist and the gleeful patented saab grin, only people in the extremeties of these catagories...or fußball moms lol. :wink: :cheesy:

-wyeth

Agree about the women especially....drivin a Saab to be cool, but most don't even know where Sweden is :nono;
People just don't have the enthusiasm that most of us here do :nono;

Groove
9th May 2004, 08:37 AM
There's a big thing with Kombi drivers around here. Absolutely 100% of Kombi drivers wave to each other.

So far I've been trying to do the wave to other Saab drivers but I catch a glimpse of them and think "they just won't get it" and don't bother. I did give a 900i convertible a quick toot before flooring it while driving down to Canberra but I don't think the guys driving it had any idea. :(

Saba
9th May 2004, 09:21 AM
Come over here and I'll wave at ya Groove :cheesy:

sethsev7n
9th May 2004, 04:47 PM
I was standing on the side of the street yesterday and a beautiful 9-3SS drove by.. i gave a big thumbs up to the driver which was with his wife and kids, and he gave a solid thumbs up back :D . I was suprised, not only was it a new saab but i wasnt even sitting in one.. so theres still hope out there :cheesy:

greenphotos
10th May 2004, 04:36 AM
I was standing on the side of the street yesterday and a beautiful 9-3SS drove by.. i gave a big thumbs up to the driver which was with his wife and kids, and he gave a solid thumbs up back :D . I was suprised, not only was it a new saab but i wasnt even sitting in one.. so theres still hope out there :cheesy:

Fantastic! :cheesy:

Cuba
10th May 2004, 06:30 AM

Did you have your pants on?

CleveSaab
10th May 2004, 09:03 AM

I was walking to lunch the other day, saw a polar white SS, stopped at a light. Windows open. I said "Nice Saab, man". He grinned. "Lemme hear that turbo!". He laughed. Long light I was getting far away from him....then I hear it coming .. woosssshhhhhhhhhhhh, I turn and he's passing me with the big ol' Saab grin on his face. hehehe

sethsev7n
10th May 2004, 11:56 AM

Did you have your pants on?

yeah but my zipper could have been down :! :suprised; :lol:

heavy_t
10th May 2004, 04:13 PM
I was driving the 99 earlier and tried this waving method on a 9000 driver.... He just looked scared :lol:

DeLorean
10th May 2004, 07:33 PM
:lol: I tried this a few times. seems to work about 1/2 the time :D

chico_85
10th May 2004, 09:26 PM
Usually I don't pay attention to drivers in other cars and always forget about the Saab wave, so by the time time I've realized that someone in a Saab just waved at me it's already too late to wave back. :oops:

92-Vert
10th May 2004, 10:11 PM
I have found that only some of 900 drivers will wave. Fewer still of the 9000 owners will wave and none of the NG owners will wave. In fact yesterday I was trying to get onto the parkway. I was rolling down the on ramp accelerating up to speed as I was doing this I could see that there was a nice looking 9-5 with this older couple in it coming up already on the parkway. Now he could do one of three things; do nothing and I would have gotten on with ease, slow down as a kind gesture for another Saaber and I would have gotten on with total ease or do what he did, speed up and I would have to step on the brakes hard to avoid running into him or speed up even more as I wasn't about to slam on my brakes. So after I did finally get on safely I gave the guy a special NY wave the one finger type. After this the guy slows way down and he just becomes a dot in the rear view.

"Saabs Ride On"8)

sethsev7n
11th May 2004, 03:18 AM
Ive gotten a wave from every type of saab driver, new and old. It really just depends if they are looking at you, have time to wave, or even have the common courtesy to wave

Groove
11th May 2004, 09:37 AM
Actually I just remembered another Saaber that behaved particularly badly in about the same way. I was trying to get over to the right-most lane to get on a ramp, and this guy in a 900i convertible jams on the gas and gets right up my back. I just about had to drive into the nature strip to get out of his way.

Some people just don't respect other drivers. I certainly didn't expect it from a fellow Saab driver.