JT 3" exhaust system [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: JT 3" exhaust system

ZARS
19th April 2004, 02:51 PM
Anyone got a photo of the tailpipe of the 3" JT exhaust system. I'm about to place an order for one for my 9000 aero and just want to know what the tailpipe looks like. Or if someone can tell me if its round or oval. Thanks :D

Alanb
19th April 2004, 06:20 PM
Zahid,

Try BillJ's site: http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/exhaust/jtexhaust.html

Alanb

ZARS
19th April 2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks Alan :D My aero is a 1995 model, do you know whether this will have the in-line cat?

greenphotos
20th April 2004, 04:57 AM
Anyone got a photo of the tailpipe of the 3" JT exhaust system. I'm about to place an order for one for my 9000 aero and just want to know what the tailpipe looks like. Or if someone can tell me if its round or oval. Thanks :D

This is the only Pic I can find of mine on the net, I have more at home though.

Sorry it's not a very good photo! The exhaust was sitting a bit far out when the photo was taken, it's sorted now.

I believe BillJ has a video of his car with it on going round goodwood - sounds great!

Mark
:cheesy:

ZARS
20th April 2004, 03:56 PM
This is the only Pic I can find of mine on the net, I have more at home though.

Mark

Thanks mate, thats brill. I have ordered my system today complete with sports cat :cheesy: I may try to stick an oval pipe at the end to keep it like the original. Can't wait :! :! :!

greenphotos
21st April 2004, 05:03 AM
I may try to stick an oval pipe at the end to keep it like the original. Can't wait :! :! :!

Good luck finding one! I tried, and the only ones readily available are tacky ricer ones. I stuck with the round one and really like it now. (probably because you can see it is 3" all the way back, not just a 1" pipe with a 5" bean can :lol:

The sounds is sweet from the JT system!

Mark

ZARS
21st April 2004, 09:31 AM
[quote=ZARS]

Good luck finding one! I tried, and the only ones readily available are tacky ricer ones. I stuck with the round one and really like it now. (probably because you can see it is 3" all the way back, not just a 1" pipe with a 5" bean can :lol:

The sounds is sweet from the JT system!

Mark

It is about 5" but I measured the cut out in the bumper and it will fit. However, as you said, I am a bit concerned about it looking ricey :nono; but I will order and see how it looks. I'm spending so much anyway I suppose another 20 quid is'nt going to hurt :wink: Will post pics once it's on.

Zahid :D

ZARS
27th April 2004, 02:53 PM
Right, the parts arrived today as promised so tomorrow I'm having the rear brakes done, new JR air filter, JT exhayst system put on and a Speedparts boost guage fitted. Can't wait :cheesy:

Any special instructions I need to tell my mechanic (I'm sure he's capable :! ) but any little tips on installing the exhaust and boost guage that will be useful would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Zahid :D

BillJ
27th April 2004, 03:26 PM
Any special instructions I need to tell my mechanic
Yes, it is likely that the lower-backpressure system will cause the base boost setting to drop (if you want the real technical stuff it's because of an increased pressure differential across the wastegate due to the lower pressure on the downstream side). He needs to check it and probably reset it. If the Aero is manual, base boost is 0.42-0.48 bar or 6.0-7.0 PSI (aim for the top of the range for best response) and if an auto, 0.37-0.43 bar or 5.5-6.5 PSI (again, aim for the upper end).

Will he know how to do this?

Afterwards, you can check he's got it right with your new boost gauge using this procedure (http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/exhaust/baseboostadj.html). Ignore the bit about how to adjust it - that's what you're paying the mechanic for. And you can't expect ultimate precision from a small dashmounted gauge, so if it looks a wee bit out don't shoot the mechanic :wink:

ZARS
28th April 2004, 04:20 PM
Got the exhaust fitted today :D :D :D Yes I'm very pleased with it. Have noticed a difference in pick up in all gears :! And it sounds great 8) Did'nt put the oval trim on in the end as it was too long to fit onto the tailpipe (even if I had cut it). I don't mind the round pipe but mine does'nt seem to have a polished end (stop laughing :! )

I didn'nt get a chance to have base boost checked BillJ but the readings on the boost guage are -0.5bar when idling and just about hits 1 bar when on full boost, then holds and drops back. Is this ok?

And to top it off what a complete plonker I am in that I bought the guage but totally forgot about the guage pod :roll: However the supplier's sending me one free of charge 8) Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.

BillJ
28th April 2004, 06:45 PM
the readings on the boost guage are -0.5bar when idling and just about hits 1 bar when on full boost, then holds and drops back. Is this ok?
You can't tell. Base boost adjustment affects the response of the boost, but not the peak boost figure. You need to follow the procedure I mentioned above, or unplug the wiring from the solenoid valve and measure the maximum boost pressure you see with it disconnected. This will be the base boost pressure. When you reconnect the wiring, the car might overboost slightly (you might hit the fuel cutoff - harmless) until the ECU adapts to having control again.

ZARS
28th April 2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks Bill, I'll give it a go tomorrow :D

ZARS
7th May 2004, 07:37 PM
Here are some pics of my JT exhaust system. It has the original round tailpipe as the 5" oval I got was too long to fit over the pipe. However the round pipe is beginning to grow on me :wink: I just need to polish the end up because as you can see it is too dull :roll: Any suggestions as to how I can do this :-?? Also I'm not too sure whether it's sitting to far out, when I look at the side of the car it is level with the top of the bumper so it's not so bad but at some angles it seems to stick out a bit too much. Maybe when I've polished it up I won't mind so much :D

First impressions the exhaust sounds great, just the kind of sound I was hoping for 8) Driving the car evry day for the last 5 days while I was in Jersey I can only say that I have noticed only a slight improvement in acceleration (have also fitted a JR air filter). I have yet to check base boost as advised by BillJ and hope that once this has been checked and adjusted if necessary I will notice more of an improvement in pick up.

The only thing left now is the Maptune stage 3 ecu and then thats it (for now anyway :cheesy: :cheesy: )

Am not posting photos of my Speedparts boost guage as it is not a very tidy job at the moment but am seriously considering moving it to the headlight switch position on the dash, I think it should slot in nicely (with a bit of cutting). Only have to decide where to re-locate the h/light switch :-?

garry
7th May 2004, 09:35 PM
I have just ordered a JT 3" system for my T16. :cheesy:
I guess I'll post a pic-o-tha pipes as well once its fitted :D

alan forsyth
8th May 2004, 03:44 PM
let me know how it fits jon i'm thinking about one myself

garry
8th May 2004, 04:01 PM
I don't really need a full exhaust system... but for the price they are selling for, im thinking ahead.

ylee coyote
8th May 2004, 04:36 PM
just polished the end of my JT exhaust

just used some wet and dry and used a polishing mop kit I bought from machine mart....

ylee coyote
8th May 2004, 04:39 PM
here's a piccy...http://free.one.picturehost.co.uk/DSC00603.JPG

Dan1
8th May 2004, 06:03 PM
that is a big pipe...it doesn't make the engine sound all ricey, does it?

ZARS
8th May 2004, 06:46 PM
that is a big pipe...it doesn't make the engine sound all ricey, does it?

Not at all :D Thats the nice (not rice :cheesy: ) thing about it :!

garry
24th May 2004, 04:13 PM
let me know how it fits jon i'm thinking about one myself

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/design_jon/SAAB/JT_Back.jpg

As promised..

Quicker spool up, better top end, and sounds like Darth Vader playing the didgeridoo :wink: :cheesy: Highly recommended.

I payed a mechanic to fit it :oops: but it only took him an hour :D So, as you can imagine it didn't cost a lot to fit at all.... He said he had to heat one bit of pipe up a bit to 'tailor' the system in...but, I know the man, if it was a sod to fit he would have let me know.

Rhino2.3t
24th May 2004, 04:25 PM
come 'ere kes.. we can't see the picture :wink:

reet 'oh, well after 48hours i can certainly understand its high rating on the Pacometer 8)

sounds lurvely, so it does. quiet with the windows up, 'noticeable' outside, and not a hint of 'eastern promise'

it has a delicious lovely sweet fantastic brilliant hollow sound, deep, but not splattery like a little hot hatch.
still has the very distinct 'firing' sound of a larger engine - not the undefined 'booorrrr' vibrating noise you get from a smaller engine overpiped.. there's enough capacity to give proper resonance.
only minor -ve.. it lacks the 'tuned ringing' sound of a full stainless system.

perfect.
(all noises as well described as i can! :D )

garry
24th May 2004, 08:06 PM
Ummm... uploaded the pic again.... working now ?

Sounds deeper and more silky than a WRX note.... but with that SAAB hiss.

deffinetly... very large sounding..... but again refined.

Rhino2.3t
25th May 2004, 05:13 AM
i can see the pipe from here 8)