Do you know about turbos? Please read this... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Do you know about turbos? Please read this...

johniemi
18th April 2004, 05:04 PM
I have a Mitsubishi TE05 turbo on my Saab 900 LPT. I have heard that I could take the turbocharger to a turbo shop and have them machine the compressor side larger, then I could buy a larger compressor wheel and have them put it in the larger housing that they just machined.

Is this correct?

Also, would this be the correct 16g compressor wheel for my application; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=2474163883

Please let me know, if this is possible, I will buy the compressor wheel and find a good turbo shop that will do the work for me. This way it should be much cheaper than buying a completely new unit from f.ex. group9performance for 695$ ?

-John

Alex
18th April 2004, 05:10 PM
You need to check that the compressor rotates in the correct direction.

The turbo for the Mitsu Evos certainly rotates in the opposite direction to that of most other cars, don't know about the Starion though.

johniemi
18th April 2004, 05:14 PM
Oh, the same guy is also selling a 16g housing... Does this look familiar? Does this housing fit into a Saab 900? I have never held a mitsubishi turbocharger or seen one so I can't really tell from the picture...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473824678&category=33742

Also what does the "comp. housing 4g63" mean (it was in the topic; "Mitsubishi Eclipse td05h big 16g comp. housing 4g63")

-John

johniemi
18th April 2004, 05:15 PM
You need to check that the compressor rotates in the correct direction.

The turbo for the Mitsu Evos certainly rotates in the opposite direction to that of most other cars, don't know about the Starion though.

How? What is the correct direction? What specifically should I ask from him?

-John

Luv900
18th April 2004, 11:09 PM
Oh, the same guy is also selling a 16g housing... Does this look familiar? Does this housing fit into a Saab 900? I have never held a mitsubishi turbocharger or seen one so I can't really tell from the picture...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473824678&category=33742

Also what does the "comp. housing 4g63" mean (it was in the topic; "Mitsubishi Eclipse td05h big 16g comp. housing 4g63")

-John

4g63 is the engine code (mmc eclipe , mmc evo , eagle talon , plymoth lazer rs turbo)
td05h big 16g (16g is evo turbine but big is aftermarket one , td05h is nick for it)

p.s. you find 16g in ok condition with every thing on for about 75-250 usd ;) so why buy this for 75 usd

comp mean compressor.

this with starion is strange because starion dont come with 16g

stevehayes01
20th April 2004, 03:57 PM
this with starion is strange because starion dont come with 16g
Believeit or not I had a 1988 Starion that had the stock turbo on it (My brother bought the car new from the lot and I bought it a year later from him)and it was a 16G Turbo. The last 1 or 2 years of the Starion's made had a variet of different turbos fitted to them. ALl based in a T3/T4 type trim. Also if you want a little extra pick up try using a Starion FMIC as it is one of the best rated stock intercoolers made in the 80's it is something like 83% effecient ( still looking for the site to get the actual number and I will post it when I find it).

3VOM
21st April 2004, 11:17 AM
My brother-in-law also has an '88 with a 16G. ALthough it has been sitting for roughly 5 years with a broken auto tranny (neutral drops take thier toll) and a severely banged up right rear quarter. I trying to get his intercooler from him but that was his first car and he says someday he's going to fix it :roll: . But he took apart his turbo and lost it piece by piece over the years. Hopefully he'll sell me his intercooler before he loses that too.

Luv900
21st April 2004, 05:21 PM
hmm so i need to find a starion 88 :D (know of many 87 turbo cars that are own by a friend but maybe 16g is hidden in one)

why dont you not just steal/borrow his ic? i bet he will never know if you can remove ic without his knowing.