Saab Radio Code [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab Radio Code

jtc
12th April 2004, 01:44 PM
I am the proud owner of a 1996 Saab 900 SE, black outside, black inside, leather heated seats, turbo, moonroof, it is my second Saab but I am only 23. My first was a 1984 900, powder blue, with cloth seats. Anyhow my new(er) Saab is giving me radio troubles. I know my radio code is 4 numbers and I know what those four numbers are, but when I put in the code when it says code in, the code doesn't work. And it goes to 4 lines, vertical, then I have to push BAND until Code In appears again, but then I repeat this process to no avail. Help! How do I reset the radio, do I pull the Radio Diagnostics, and or Radio fuses? Will this help? My mechanic said to leave the car running for 1 hour to reset the radio, I tried. It failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

peace,
justin

Crevalle
12th April 2004, 02:10 PM
If you disconnect the battery, the radio will reset. There is probably an even easier way that someone will post. I've never heard of running it for an hour to reset. I almost started laughing when I read that.

Slaab4life
12th April 2004, 07:03 PM
yeah, leaving it running to reset sounds fishy. if I take a 5 hr road trip would that reset it 5 times? If you pull the radio fuse while the engine is running and put it back in, that should bring the "code in" screen back up. You sure you do have the right code?

CleveSaab
13th April 2004, 11:16 AM
If you enter the wrong code x (4?) number of times the radio locks itself out. After one hour you can try again, whether the car has been on or not. After the one hour interval you get ONE chance to do it right or it locks up again for one more hour.
The manual specifically tells you how to input the code and you need to follow those directions to the letter. I thought I had a post here that explained it in great detail but I've searched and searched and cannot find it.

Munki
13th April 2004, 11:25 AM
If the code is entered incorrectly 3 times then you have to wait an hour, with the radio turned on, you will then get 1 chance to enter the correct code. Get it wrong and you have to wait another hour before you can try again.

I would check with the dealership that you have the correct code. They will be able to tell you if you give them the VIN.

JABM
13th April 2004, 06:41 PM
Like Munki said, once it gets mad at your for using the wrong code, you get locked out and must wait 1 hour WITH THE CAR AND RADIO ON (at least the ignition on, engine doesn't need to run) before you can try again. Audi does the same thing.

meld
13th April 2004, 08:52 PM
For what it's worth the dealer told me that if I drive the car in they could yank the radio and look up the code for me. As long as I drove the car in they probably won't need the title or other stuff that they need for a key duplication.

They said if I walked in with the radio they might get suspicious and ask for more paperwork.

-meld

CleveSaab
14th April 2004, 09:39 AM
Mine gave me the code on the phone, although I had been there with my car before, but still. And telling you they need to remove the radio is pure garbage. They are just telling you that so you bring it in and they know it's actually yours, I'll bet. Being overly cautious, I guess.
:roll:

boxman
14th April 2004, 09:56 AM
they might need the seriel number of the radio my stealership did on a 9k radio

boxman :wink:

CleveSaab
14th April 2004, 10:03 AM
It's tied to the vin, boxy.
Apples and Oranges, mate. ;)

boxman
14th April 2004, 11:24 AM
apples and apples my friend :cheesy: the 9k radio is also tied to the vin no,i guess the stealership was just covering there back 'case the radio had been swopped. :roll:

boxman :wink:

aekeia
14th April 2004, 05:37 PM
Well I'm having a similar problem with mine after the battery got disconnected and the alternator and starter got replaced. The code is written on the back of the radio and when i enter the code it just sits there with the code 3433 and nothing. I cant even turn the radio off and when I start the car again its stays on with the code showing. Any ideas? other than taking it to the dealer. I've even tried holding the BAND button and nothing happens either.

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 05:44 PM
i am also the proud owner of a saab 900, 1997. I'm having the same problem, i just recently bought my saab and had to take it to the dealer for the radio code, which they gave me, however they couldn't get it to work and said to take it home and let it sit with the ignition in the on position for an hour and then enter the code. i did and it did not work. i tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and it still did not work, always comes back with four horizontal lines.:( the saab people told me this means there is something wrong with the radio itself and will have to be repaired or replaced. i am taking it back for them to look at this coming week. i appreciate any suggestions from anyone for what else i could try in the meantime. and i will also update you on what i find out from saab this week if i don't get it fixed first.

PMI
8th January 2007, 06:20 PM
i tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and it still did not work, always comes back with four horizontal lines.As mentioned above, disconnecting the battery will not have any effect on the anti-theft lock. Once the radio is in lockout, you get one try to enter the code per hour, in the sequence described in the Saab Owner's manual. Wrong code or anything else, the lockout timer resets for another hour. See link.

Radio Anti-Theft Lock (http://www.geocities.com/pmiczek@sbcglobal.net/NG900SET/Documents/Antitheft_lock.pdf)

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 07:30 PM
[/QUOTE] Once the radio is in lockout, you get one try to enter the code per hour, in the sequence described in the Saab Owner's manual. Wrong code or anything else, the lockout timer resets for another hour. See link.

Radio Anti-Theft Lock (http://www.geocities.com/pmiczek@sbcglobal.net/NG900SET/Documents/Antitheft_lock.pdf)[/QUOTE]

I followed that sequence, as I stated, after going to the dealer. left the radio on for one hour and then entered the code the dealer gave me. does this mean the only explanation is that the radio is broken? does taking the radio fuse out while the engine is on work as mentioned above?

thanks for the info!

PMI
8th January 2007, 07:45 PM
You can only enter the code when the disply shows "CODE IN".

When in lockout, you have to follow the instructions fairly closely, and I think (although I am not certain because it has been some time since mine went into lockout), that you have to press BAND before CODE IN appears. If you start pushing buttons before the radio is ready to accept the code, the only result is that the one hour timer starts over again (done that myself).

There are two fuses, but pulling them out may not have any more effect than turning the radio and ignition off. Usually the problem you describe is because something was not done in the right order.

aekeia has a different problem from yours. He writes that the alternator AND the starter were replaced. Since it is essentially impossible for both to fail at the same time on their own (the probability is about zero), something pretty bad must have happened to the electrical system in that car.

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 07:51 PM
Thank you. I'll try again, though i'm pretty sure i followed the instructions right. I turned my car on, turned the radio on, and left it for an hour, and then punched the code in. now, i don't remember if i held down band (which it does require) when i first turned it on or if i held it down after the hour was up right before i entered the code again. would that make a difference?

PMI
8th January 2007, 08:16 PM
would that make a difference?I would think so, yes.

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 09:09 PM
I would think so, yes.

if it makes a difference, then which way should i do it? press band at the beginning of the hour or at the end?

RastaSaab
8th January 2007, 09:10 PM
I had this drive me nuts for a while until i figured out what i did wrong. Here is the easy to make it work

1. Turn on the car, turn on the radio it should say "Code In" (If it does not say code in hold down "band" until it does)
2. Do NOTHING ! do not enter any code, do NOT shut off the radio
3. Shut off the car
4. return at least 1 hr later and start the car, put in your code and it will work.

This is part of the lock out feature, but this is the part where you leave the radio on for 1 hour with the car off.

For the record, get a new mechanic. you should NEVER leave a car running for 1 hr without driving it, you will damage the engine because it is not getting the proper air flow to cool itself down. He is on the right track, however you can leave the radio "on" with the car shut off.

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 09:18 PM
so to be clear:
1)turn on car (engine running) radio on, make sure says "code in"
2)don't touch anything, leave radio on
3)turn off the car with radio "on". completely off with key out or just engine off, car still "on"?
4)return an hour or more later, start engine, put in code, should work?

p.s. i didn't leave my engine running for an hour, i just left the key in the "on" position for an hour, engine off, as instructed by the saab dealer.
Thank you so much for the help! this has been really frustrating, i really hope it works!

Sha_kri
8th January 2007, 09:33 PM
Push and hold down the "band" button. And then it should say "CODE IN."

RastaSaab
8th January 2007, 09:40 PM
so to be clear:
1)turn on car (engine running) radio on, make sure says "code in"
2)don't touch anything, leave radio on
3)turn off the car with radio "on". completely off with key out or just engine off, car still "on"?
4)return an hour or more later, start engine, put in code, should work?

p.s. i didn't leave my engine running for an hour, i just left the key in the "on" position for an hour, engine off, as instructed by the saab dealer.
Thank you so much for the help! this has been really frustrating, i really hope it works!

Yes that is what i did to get it working for me. you dont have to start the car just move to on position and you can remove the key for the hr. Let us know if you get it working, i know how frustrating it can be.

For it to work when you come back an hr later and turn on, the radio should say "code in" right off the bat and it should take the code. I hope this works for you.

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you so much!! I'll let you know if it works or not. I started it about 20 minutes ago, so in 40 or so minutes i'll find out if i can have music again....:D

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 10:56 PM
It didn't work!!! I did the following steps:

1) car on, radio on, held in band till code cleared, turned off car
2) left it for over an hour
3)turned car on, radio came up "code in"
4)entered code as given to me by the saab dealer
5)the radio went to 4 horizontal lines

what now?!?! I'm so frustrated!:(

Sha_kri
8th January 2007, 11:18 PM
I would get the code verified by another Saab dealer. Remember that they need the radio serial number, not the vin.

It was very fustrating for me also at first. I do not know why they have to make things so hard.

PMI
8th January 2007, 11:37 PM
1) car on, radio on, held in band till code cleared, turned off car
2) left it for over an hour
3)turned car on, radio came up "code in"
4)entered code as given to me by the saab dealer
5)the radio went to 4 horizontal linesSomething about this does not seem right. When the radio goes into lockout, I have to leave my car on for an hour (ignition is enough, engine does not have to run), not off for an hour before trying to enter the code again. The lockout timer only runs with power to the radio.

Also, I believe that when you enter the wrong code, the four digits just stay on the display. When you enter the right code, the display goes to one of the programmed stations.

Not saying I am always right, you can confirm it, or maybe get better directions from the Saab support line: 800/955-9007

nutmeg7
8th January 2007, 11:46 PM
Unfortunately the only other saab dealer within driving distance is an hour away. as it is the nearest one is a half hour away depending on traffic. However, I might make it there anyways.

Regarding the VIN # versus serial #, I took my car into the dealer and they pulled the radio and got the serial #s from it to look up the code.

I'm wondering if the dealer gave me the wrong number by mistake, as i've tried waiting an hour with car off & with the car on, all the suggestions. otherwise it means the radio is broken, well i'll find out when i take my car back to the dealer. thanks for everyones suggestions.

RastaSaab
9th January 2007, 11:24 AM
Nutmeg I am very sorry to hear that it did not work, I would double check the code with the dealer, more so if this is the first time you are trying it.

It would not hurt to reset everything by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes or so. Then start again.

nutmeg7
9th January 2007, 12:19 PM
I just got this car a week ago so this is the first time I've used the code. However, I got the code from the saab dealer, as the previous owner didn't have it.

I have disconnected the battery to try and reset it, didn't work.

PMI
9th January 2007, 01:37 PM
I have disconnected the battery to try and reset it, didn't work.What came up on the display after the battery was reconnected?

nutmeg7
9th January 2007, 03:52 PM
What came up on the display after the battery was reconnected?

It came up saying "code in" I entered the code, and it went to the 4 horizontal lines.

earthworm
9th January 2007, 04:12 PM
The dealer may have given you the wrong numbers (tis human to err.......)..He has to read the radio serial number( a mistake here is also possible)

If an error is made, continue entering all four digits.
Press and hold BAND until "Code In" appears.
Retry
Your have 3 attempts, then with the radio "powered up", allow one hour to transpire.
Here, I do not know if the engine must be running or not. How is this one hour measured ??
Page 42, owners manual.

nutmeg7
9th January 2007, 04:35 PM
the dealer having made an error has definitely crossed my mind. They did use the serial number from the radio to get the code however.

I will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow for further investigation, i may perhaps request that they look up the code again to make sure there was no error, though when it didn't work the first time they may have done so on their own.... I'll find out.

earthworm
9th January 2007, 05:51 PM
Nutmeg, if you are lucky enough to have the services of a really good dealer, they will pull their records, pull your radio and take the time to 100% have the correct numbers.
You can, IMO, make this easy for them and pull the radio yourself..
They will then assure that the radio works, if humanly possible..
This is "customer good will".. I learned about this at the VW dealer when they were successful..Dealers should step back and re-learn this..

"on their own" - sadly, not the American way - far too often..

And, what is to say that you do not have a *** unit - anything can happen ...:nono;
Life:cheesy: is about accomplishing positive things - death;oops: ... negative...

longjon76
10th January 2007, 02:01 PM
I am having similar, but slightly different problems.

I just bought a 1998 900SE Convertible. When I tried to turn the radio on, I got nothing. I called one dealership with the VIN and got a four digit code. I followed the directions in the SAAB manual to the letter. When I put the four numbers in, they disappeared and I got nothing. I tried multiple times and do not appear to have gotten locked out.

I called a different dealership and they requested the last 7 numbers and the PU number off of the radio. That information earned me the same four numbers I got from the first service department. Just for giggles, I tried it and got nothing.

For whatever it's worth, I do get a very faint "pop" sound from the speakers when I think I'm turning it on. I say "think" because I cannot tell whether it's on or not. Pressing the on button has no apparent effect.

I have checked the fuses in the fuse panel and the fuse in the back of the radio. I am now completely at a loss. I really don't feel like paying a stealership and would rather not buy a new radio. Any ideas (other than leaving my car on for an hour) are welcome.

earthworm
10th January 2007, 02:15 PM
Well, as I said to Nutmeg, yesterday - "you may have a *** radio"..

copied and pasted - just bought a 1998 900SE Convertible. When I tried to turn the radio on, I got nothing. I called one dealership with the VIN and got a four digit code. I followed the directions in the SAAB manual to the letter.

Confusing:confused: , I am to understand that the dealer needs the radio serial number... NOT the vehicle VIN...(an error, can anyone catch this)...

longjon76
10th January 2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. If it's hosed, it's hosed. I just don't like to give up easily.

nutmeg7
10th January 2007, 04:59 PM
I took my car back to the dealer today, and as it turns out, they discovered that they had reversed 2 numbers in the radio serial number. So I got the real code, and much to my happiness it now works!

borysiu
10th January 2007, 05:04 PM
Congratulations! Now you can enjoy your stereo!
But the code thing...
My God... this is one of the reasons I will not go to the dealers... They err... like any other human being but for soooo much more money...

longjon76
10th January 2007, 05:07 PM
Good for you Nutmeg.

I'm going to try the procedure recommended by Rastasaab when I get home tonight. As I mentioned, I can't tell whether the radio is actually turned on. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

If that doesn't work, I'm throwing in the towel and buying a new head unit.

To that end, does anyone know of a head unit that will work with the standard Clarion CD Changer?

nutmeg7
10th January 2007, 05:09 PM
LOL. Yes, it is unfortunate that they err, but fortunately they were very nice about it, and it only cost me a little extra time.

RastaSaab
10th January 2007, 09:00 PM
Good for you Nutmeg.

I'm going to try the procedure recommended by Rastasaab when I get home tonight. As I mentioned, I can't tell whether the radio is actually turned on. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

If that doesn't work, I'm throwing in the towel and buying a new head unit.

To that end, does anyone know of a head unit that will work with the standard Clarion CD Changer?

I can not be sure about the standard Clarion cd changer, i am sure there are several different models, however check ebay because i have seen a good number of them sell for a decent price ($~30-$40).

one way to tell if the radio is powered on is that the auto-antenna will go to the up position when the radio is on. Also "----" or "Code In" should appear.

Dont give up just yet, the dealer is supposed to provide radio code look-up at no charge. Let us know if you get yours working.

--

Glad to hear you got that fixed Nutmeg, enjoy your stereo and new car!

longjon76
11th January 2007, 10:30 AM
Ok, good news. First, I tried your method last night Rastasaab. It didn't work but, thanks for the help anyway. Also, the antenna is permanently up so I am assuming that there is something wrong with it. I'll be looking at that next.

When I got into my beloved Saab to drive to work this morning, the SID was completely blank... not even backlit. I cussed. Then, the SID popped on about half way to work along with a "CHECK LATCHES" message. On a whim, I held down the BAND button and put the code in. To my utter delight, the radio popped right on. I don't have any CDs to check out the changer but the tape deck and the radio work. Not bad sound either, I am impressed.

So, radio works now. The SID still has some lines missing and I can't understand why I would get a "CHECK LATCHES" message when they are just fine. But, those are probably best left for other threads.

Thanks for everyone's help!

RastaSaab
11th January 2007, 12:22 PM
I am glad to hear you got it working, the check latches message comes on sometimes when you accidientially hit the roof button to lower the room (although that message is usually check soft top), but make sure the top if fully forward and the latches are secure.

That is a little odd about the sid not lighting up, there may be a loose connection somewhere or it is possible your Dash dimmer switch is faulty and the light level is just very low.

longjon76
11th January 2007, 02:07 PM
For whatever it's worth, the "Check latches" message goes off whenever I'm stopped. After I get going about five miles an hour, it comes back on. I've made sure that the top is all the way down and that I haven't inadvertantly hit a button anywhere.

I noticed in the documentation that came with the car that a prior owner had the same problem, took it to a Saab stealership and they saw the problem but couldn't diagnose it. So, sounds like it will be a lot of fun tracking it down.

But yeah, radio fixed. Off to make posts about the Check Latches and SID issue.

papoels
12th July 2007, 01:27 PM
Hi there,

I also used the wrong code for three times. Now the radio shows 4 horizontal lines. What ever i try, they never disappear. I tried all procedure posted in this thread.

Has anyone a clue?

baas96
12th July 2007, 02:10 PM
i have a 96 900 se and whenever mine freezes i just disconnect the battery and then try it again and it always works.

papoels
13th July 2007, 05:34 AM
I tried several things and in the end it works. The trick is that the radio should be on for at least an hour while the motor is of. After that time the 4 horizontal lines were disapeared end it shows code in.

Stephen Lacey
1st March 2008, 01:23 AM
After many hours of :evil: I have found a simple answer to my problem, Now I am :lol:. My problem was just just like Aaries where, after replacing a battery I had to input my 4 digit code but the code wasn't accepted. The code remained in the SID display even after pressing the "band" button. Following several multiples of "one hour" waits, I suddenly had a brain wave and decided to disconnect the battery to recreate the "code in" display. Hallelujah, the "code in" display reappeared and I was able the reinput the 4 digit code and the radio started. I did however have to reset my preprogrammed stations.

I have no idea why the code wasn't originally accepted but I needed to share this simple solution before too many idiots like myself waste half a weekend trying to correct the problem.

Regards

Steve (Silver streak '96 900S convertible)

saab_fer
12th June 2008, 07:07 PM
Saludos RastaSaab

Gracias, thank you for your advice on how to reprogram my radio, we have been without a radio for some time, the dealer wanted 185 bucks to reprogram our radio, RastaSaab instructions works, just follow the instructions.

rickthefeller
21st February 2009, 08:28 AM
I believe this is the answer you are looking for.
I've owned 3 Saabs now and post these steps in ever glove box for the next owner. Good Luck.

1. Wait 1 hour

2. Push Power "ON" button

3. Hold down "BAND" button until radio reads "CODE IN"

4. Enter Your Code "XXXX"

Dori
27th February 2009, 06:59 PM
Have been told because it's a Japanese import (into NZ) the code is not accessible. The Saab dealer has not heard of there being a back-up code in the radio, or of being able to reset it -- both options of which I've read on line. they accessed one code based on VIN of car. Incorrect. Tried the radio serial number but - as above - because it's an import, they can't access the number. I can't believe I have a Saab car and Saab radio and I have to throw the radio out. Any suggestions?

rickthefeller
28th February 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Dori,

Here's what you need to do to get the radio code from the Saab Dealer.

1. Go get the Radio Removal Tools at an Auto Parts Store which consist of 2 "U" shaped wires (or even a coat hanger). Insert them into the two holes on each side of the Radio and it will pull right out.

2. On top of the Radio there is a HUGE sticker. On the sticker there is a 14 digit number in the center below the bar code. The Serial Number is last 7 digits. Also, on top of the Radio, In the lower Left corner is The Model Number "PU-?????".

3. A "GOOD" Saab Dealership Service Department will ask for both the Serial Number and the Model Number and they will give you your Radios Code. If they don't know what to do call my Saab Dealer in the U.S. at 618-632-1000. (You may want to praise them for their help)

4. Then follow the "Setting Radio Code" thread posted before this.

I highly recommend Labeling and Circling the Serial Number and the Model Number. Also write the Radio Code on the HUGE sticker.

Dori
4th March 2009, 05:39 PM
well, Rickdefella - I called the number you gave me -- had a great chat with the service manager who couldn't figure out how in the world I had his phone number. Couldn't pull up a code with the 2 numbers I supplied him (as directed). He did more research and I called him back 2 days later. Says I need the owners manual (FOR A 98 SAAB 900) and it will tell me how to create a new unlock code. Since mine was a Japanese import, it didn't come with a manual.

Does anyone out there have their manual and does it give these instructions?!?

FamilyGal3
6th August 2009, 05:38 PM
Thank you all sooooo much. My daughter has been home from college for the summer and suffering without a radio after a simple inspection and brake repair. The code in the book was incorrect, and then she went to the dealer who removed the radio and provided a new code. That code didn't work. Figuring she was an impulsive college student I followed your instructions when she got home and they worked perfectly with the new code!

'97 Saab SE Turbo
6th August 2009, 06:38 PM
Let me see - the code is a 4-digit code in the range of 1111 to 6666, that is 5555 possible codes. If you tried 1 code every hour, it would take 231.5 days to try all of the code combinations. I hope your code is in the lower half of the codes.

You might try pulling the radio and frame to see if someone has written down the correct code somewhere... Ron

chwhel
27th November 2009, 09:49 PM
I love my saab! who doesn't? I was driving down the road going home from college, and all of a sudden. my radio locks. When I turn it on it plays about 5 seconds of song and then locks again. then I turn it off and turn it on again just to have it lock up after 5 seconds. Has anyone had this similar problem? I don't have th code and am trying to get it! I pused the band button down for three seconds like suggested and nothing happened?!?! Am I screwed?

wattsy12
14th July 2010, 12:56 AM
I have also had this problem-i cant get my radio to work. I have follow this to the tee and i still cant get the radio to work. The thing is with my radio is that I get "code in" enter my code and it just stays up on the screen. Nothing turns on and it sits there...any suggestions. I cant bare the silence any longer!

snabb saab
14th July 2010, 02:23 AM
I have also had this problem-i cant get my radio to work. I have follow this to the tee and i still cant get the radio to work. The thing is with my radio is that I get "code in" enter my code and it just stays up on the screen. Nothing turns on and it sits there...any suggestions. I cant bare the silence any longer!

Wrong code? Go to a dealership and verify that it is the correct code. If the dealership is nice to you they will let you have the code for free. I have no SAAB dealership in Fairbanks and a Chevy dealership wanted $150 for coding my radio. I called the SAAB dealership in Anchorage and after some small pleading the service manager gave me the code for free. I left my SAAB with ignition and radio on for an hour, then coded the radio when prompted and now have tunes.

wattsy12
14th July 2010, 08:41 AM
I went to the saab dealership and they gave me the code no problem for free. I enter the code when it says Code In and it just sits there and does nothing with the code still on the screen...

kellow
15th April 2011, 11:54 AM
I've seen lots of responses thay say the radio code is written on the top of my radio. I pulled the radio, and there are several stickers with numbers but no 4-difit code. I bought it used from an owner. There is no Saab dealership within 3 hours. Can anyone solve this mystery? I just don't feel like driving the vehicle far without something to hear besides the wind.

snabb saab
15th April 2011, 04:04 PM
My rdio did not have a sticker with the 4-digit code. Getting a code was a PITA. My local Chevrolet dealership wanted $150 to give me the code and program it... yeah right!!

The nearest SAAB dealership is 400 miles away... I called them, talked to their service manager, explained that I bought a used SAAB and the radio was locked, and I couldn't drive down to Anchorage just for the radio. He ended up being kind and giving me the code for free. I promised next time I headed down to Anchorage I'd swing by and purchase some oil filters, which I did.

What I also did was print the 4-digit code with a label machine and stuck it to the top of the radio, for future reference.

saabanswers
25th June 2011, 07:23 AM
I love a challenge and will not be beaten. I wasn’t beaten – I won

If you don’t already have the code ring your saab dealer and convince him to give it to you. I was lucky enough to be given the code simply by ringing a saab dealer with the vin number. I told him that neither the car nor the radio were stolen as both were too old to bother stealing them.

After reading all the post there really was no one who had the answer – pressing the band button to bring up the word code worked but then putting in the code changed nothing – it just went back to the four horizontal lines.

As strange as it sounds this below is how to unlock the locked radio.

This is what I did BUT I don’t know which part of it actually worked so you’ll have to do the same as I did.

Press the band button until the code word comes up.
Don’t put in the code immediately.
While holding down a button – any button – put in the four digit code.
The code numbers won’t show – the word code will stay the same.
Press another button and again put in the four digit code – the numbers wont show – just the word code.
Pick another button and do the same again.
Do this until you have done the same on every button on the radio face – always holding down the one button while putting in the code.
THEN without holding down a button – type in the code – the radio should come on – it did for me.

I don’t know which button was the magic choice but who cares – it worked.

Good luck
Cheers
Greg