An experience to share with you guys!!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: An experience to share with you guys!!!

SS
10th April 2004, 07:35 PM
Well, i got a call from a buddy of mine asking me if i wanted to go to a drag strip and watch some races. So we met there this morning and a couple of other friends, they were driving a 330ci and a GTI 1.8T. Anyway, after watching a couple of races, i got excited (i wish i didnt).

My first race was with a 2000 A4. He had all sorts of crap on his car. He beat me by an inch, but a win is a win!!!

My second race was with the 330ci. This guy killed me from the start but then i caught up to him towards the end. He beat me by about 0.8 seconds.

Third race was with the GTI. This guy had a neuspeed chip, short shifter and i dont know what. He claims 210 HP. This guy ruined me and left me in the back

Fourth race was with a freakin stock cavalier. This guy i beat but barely, thanks to wheel spin once again. He says his car had a 140 ponies on it.

Final race was with a civic, yes, a ricer!!! Well, the ricer had a very good run, somewhere around 14.6 quarter mile. I lost this race too.

My freakin car is supposed to have 250 horsepower on it and i lost every single race. First of all, im not good at dragging as it was my first time. Second of all, the ground where the race starts is very slick. I was spinning allll throughout my first and it wasnt pleasant at all. The PPC did help me in catching up as i caught up to all the cars i raced, but it was too late. I couldnt get the first gear to grip. I also had winter tires and by the time i caught on, the cars i was racing with where gone. Im not happy with the results at all, but whatever, it was once in a lifetime experience as i dont plan on taking the car to a drag strip anymore. So my concluding statement is: If I was able to get the car to jump without wheelspin, i would have won all of the races.

Average 1/4 Mile Time: 15.5

Comments? Anyone gonna give me crap?

joshd2012
10th April 2004, 08:00 PM
Your first problem was that you were running on Winter tires. That is a huge no-no. :nono; Your second problem was that you had never dragged before. This will slow your 1/4 mile speed a lot more than you would think. Your third problem is that Saabs are not meant to drag. They are built to do track racing where you never have to accelerate from a stopped position (except the beginning of the race of course).

You could probably take the cars you had close races with (and get close on the others) will a little practice and some good rubber on the pavement. Get some of those same cars on the track, and this will fighting to keep up with you. :)

Automaggot
10th April 2004, 08:03 PM
It's just good to see someone racing on a track and not on the street. No reason to give you crap at all!

nestoraero
11th April 2004, 04:21 AM
I agree with josh.
Put summer tires on,go and practice a litlle bit and I think that you will see at least 1 second less time on your quarter mile... :wink:

SaabScott
11th April 2004, 11:02 AM
It's just good to see someone racing on a track and not on the street. No reason to give you cr*p at all!

I have to agree ... especially since we practically live on top of a drag strip (read that as a main road, leading out of town).
It is the most annoying thing in the summer to listen to all those stupid people out there dragging on a city street! :evil: :nono;
Take it to the track, just like you did ... I would like to see how they would fair then! :wink:

SS .... change your tires, get a little practice under your belt, and then take it to those guys! 8)
You'll do just fine! :cheesy:

SS
11th April 2004, 04:10 PM
And what do you guys think about the stress put on the engine with the PPC installed. Any worries needed to be addressed. Thats the most thing im worrying about, messing up the car!!!

Diggs
11th April 2004, 04:46 PM
What were your 60' times? What MPH did you trap at? Trap speed is a better indicator of how fast your car is (i.e. how much power). If you're running down everyone at the end of the track, then it's more likely you have more power than they do, you just can't get it to the pavement at the start as well as they can. Get some better tires, and depending on how badly your wheel spin was before, you may see 14's. Not bad considering that it's supposed to run somewhere in the 16's isn't it?

Heck, go get some drag radials on the front and stall it up a bit on the launch to build up some boost. I guarantee you'll smoke all of those cars you raced. Of course, this is also very hard on your car, but if you really want to win... :cheesy:

As for messing up the car, don't drop the hammer at every stoplight and it should be fine. The car was desgined to handle a little extra boost.

Vector-SS
11th April 2004, 05:31 PM
i think his trap speed was at 96 mph

SS
11th April 2004, 06:22 PM
Yes, i was finishing up the 1/4 mile between 96 and 97 miles per hour at an average of 15.5 seconds. I am in canada, dont know why they were using miles. ALL of the cars i raced were finishing up at 88 till 91 miles per hour. No one got even close to the speed i finished at.

As Diggs mentioned, you are right. Although it was my first time, i realised that my car was definately stronger than any of them but i wasnt able to get it to stick. ON TOP OF all that, my reaction time averaged at 0.4 while all the rest i raced with had anywhere between 0.8 and 1.1 seconds. So it was definately my fault. Im not a pro at it and i shouldnt have went with winter tires!!!

For the 0-60, i didnt really get it. On the paper they print out, they show I1 I2 I3. I dont know what that means, but next to the I3, it said an average of 10 seconds. Now i dont know if this is the 0-60. I dont think it is but i wouldnt be surprised as it always took me sometime to get a grip!!!

joshd2012
11th April 2004, 07:06 PM
And what do you guys think about the stress put on the engine with the PPC installed. Any worries needed to be addressed. Thats the most thing im worrying about, messing up the car!!!

You were drag racing, and you are worried about added stress by a computer?

SS
11th April 2004, 10:44 PM

You were drag racing, and you are worried about added stress by a computer?

So i guess that means i should worry !!! And a lot!!

Castor Troy
11th April 2004, 10:52 PM
No, he's saying that it's kinda stupid to be worrying about the small amount of extra stress the PPC is causing, when you're drag racing. Racing puts a much greater amount of stress on your car than the PPC by itself does.

joshd2012
12th April 2004, 01:22 AM
No, he's saying that it's kinda stupid to be worrying about the small amount of extra stress the PPC is causing, when you're drag racing. Racing puts a much greater amount of stress on your car than the PPC by itself does.

Exactly what I was saying! :cheesy:

Nairda
15th April 2004, 08:51 PM
SS, you should've got some summer tires before you drag raced :oops:
The next time you race lower the pressure on the front tires so your
tires have a greater contact patch. Trust me this will help.

SS
15th April 2004, 10:17 PM
SS, you should've got some summer tires before you drag raced :oops:
The next time you race lower the pressure on the front tires so your
tires have a greater contact patch. Trust me this will help.

Yup, you guys are all absolutely correct. How much PSI you think i should leave on them Nairda?

Nairda
16th April 2004, 05:56 PM
Take about 9-12psi off the recommended pressure. The first 60ft are the most important
when drag racing so your reaction times have to be spot on, in the 0.5-0.6 range. Don't
even chirp your front tire's or try a burnout, it may look cool but your wasting time.
Try to feel for the first sign of breaking loose and backoff by modulating the pedal.
The only time I would recommend some wheel spin is before you drag race just to get
the tire temperature up so you have them stick better. One other thing you should do is
empty out your trunk so you have more weight at the front to aid launch because when
you accelerate the weight transfer's to the rear making your Saab lose traction.

SS
16th April 2004, 06:52 PM
Take about 9-12psi off the recommended pressure. The first 60ft are the most important
when drag racing so your reaction times have to be spot on, in the 0.5-0.6 range. Don't
even chirp your front tire's or try a burnout, it may look cool but your wasting time.
Try to feel for the first sign of breaking loose and backoff by modulating the pedal.
The only time I would recommend some wheel spin is before you drag race just to get
the tire temperature up so you have them stick better. One other thing you should do is
empty out your trunk so you have more weight at the front to aid launch because when
you accelerate the weight transfer's to the rear making your Saab lose traction.

Yes of course. What you are saying makes sense Nairda! I attempted to modulate the pedal every time i took off, but with the PPC installed along with the winter tires, it didnt work. Whether you modulated or not, wheel spin was going to happen any way. Anyway, thanks for the replies. If i ever go back on that track, i will keep you and all the rest of the guys updated. Hopefully it will be good news this time :cheesy:

mav238
16th April 2004, 06:52 PM
SS,

The wheel spin during the initial take off in 1st gear is expected. Even with my P-zeros and non-PPC'd Linear, the wheels spin when it's in contact with a wet or slick surface. I know this well, as I was checking out this TSX, and the darn tires spun in 1st gear, and when it caught on, I accelerated pass him after he had a 3 car lead ahead of me.

I guess, if you are going to drag race, then it's essential that you get some drag rubber. The P-zeros themselves are not meant for drag racing, but rather, as one poster indicated, for track racing.

Any wheel spinning will cost your drag time dearly. So instead of trying to gun the engine and go all out in the first gear, modulate the power in 1st gear, making sure you get a good launch and once it gets going, you can push the engine in the redline zone as you shift through the gears with no fear and enjoy the turbocharged push. :wink:

SS
16th April 2004, 06:57 PM
Yes Mav, i have to agree with you. Wheel spin is gonna happen either on, in any case. You are right, it will spin even with the Pirellis and its true that the best way to drag professionally is to put some drag rubber.

I guess though that with summer or performance rubber, i would have a better chance of modulating the amount of gas i give in comparison to having winter tires on. You agree?

Saba
16th April 2004, 11:57 PM
Yes Mav, i have to agree with you. Wheel spin is gonna happen either on, in any case. You are right, it will spin even with the Pirellis and its true that the best way to drag professionally is to put some drag rubber.

I guess though that with summer or performance rubber, i would have a better chance of modulating the amount of gas i give in comparison to having winter tires on. You agree?Yes I tried to get some 0-100 times in my pre PPC 2.0t Arc and all I could do is spin the wheels when I planted it. Better times when I took a bit of car in first.

SS
17th April 2004, 12:42 AM
Gotta question for you saba!

Pre-PPC, if you let the car roll at about 5 km/h and floor it, you will get all wheel spin?

Saba
17th April 2004, 01:03 AM

Pre-PPC, if you let the car roll at about 5 km/h and floor it, you will get all wheel spin?I can't recall exactly, but I do recall getting a bit of spin after a rolling start once.

mav238
17th April 2004, 11:00 AM

Pre-PPC, if you let the car roll at about 5 km/h and floor it, you will get all wheel spin?

SS:

With the uprated power and torque from the PPC programming, if you modulate your launch with no wheel spin, even if the other car has a half a car or whole car lead, when that turbo kicks in full, you should have no problem catching up with him (given that your 9-3SS has similar or better performance than his car). Wheel spin can cause you 2-3 secs, which is more than enough for the other car to get a 3 car lead ahead of you. Remember, the 9-3SS excels not in the 1st-2nd gears, but rather in the 3rd-4th gears! :D

SS
17th April 2004, 04:05 PM
Yup thats right. If the race was a little longer than a 1/4 mile, i would have gotten them for sure cause they ALL saw me coming in their rearview and i was impressed at that! They would have a good 2 car lead ahead of me and at the end of the race, my nose is right at his door :cheesy:

Diggs
18th April 2004, 02:35 PM
96-97 mph is good for mid-14's with a good launch (60 foot times near 2.0 seconds). Not sure just how good of a launch can be had with our cars, but high 14's should be expected with that mph. I'd hate to see your 60 foot times if you're running mid 15's :o