upgrade to brakes post ppc install [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: upgrade to brakes post ppc install

Dave N
10-04-04, 03:43 AM
Ive noticed everyone can't praise the ppc mod enough, and that cool, cos I intend investing in one shortly, when funds permit. I was wondering if anyone had found that with the added performance, that the brakes now felt a little inadequete. I dont think this will be an issue for anyone with an aero model, as the brake discs are bigger anyway. has anyone actually upgraded their brakes or is anyone considering it?

Am I just worrying over nothing and the stock brakes on the non aero models are up to the job?

finklejag
10-04-04, 04:16 AM
You bring up a good point Dave. The more power you produce. You more power you need to stop it. The Aero does have good vented size rotors front and rear. The Linears are kind of small. Most of the tuning shops have a slotted rotor upgrade for the Linear.

The non Aero guys will have two options to upgrade. Keep the stock size and upgrade to a slotted rotor with a upgraded pad such as Pagid, Ferodo or Mintex C-tech. I would only use the EBC Greenstuff pad with EBC rotors. The Greenstuff pads are made out of Kevlar, and it will warp a normal rotor in no time. You can also upgrade to the Aero rotors. I don't know if the Aero has different carriers then the others. So I would assume buying Aero rotors for a Linear shouldn't be a problem.

If you have the money. You can go for the Speedparts big brake kit for $2500 :o

Saba
10-04-04, 06:19 AM
The mass of the car remains the same. A car travelling at 100mph will require the same brake force to stop it regardless of whether it got to 100mph via PPC or not. The performance upgrade will allow you to get to higher speeds and its then that you may need better brakes. But if you are not planning on driving faster then the pre-PPC top speed then I cant see the need for a brake upgrade. If the PPC changes your driving style, then you may need one as well.

Immo
10-04-04, 07:49 AM
Another dumb question.... Are the brakes the same on the Arc and Aero?

RED
10-04-04, 12:33 PM
Saba makes the critical point that that those marketing "big brake" kits would prefer most customers ignore. I have seen many sports cars (and just sporty cars) with massive brake kits, on cars that I know for a fact are never on a track, and not driven aggressively enough to even use the full potential of the stock setup. :D

How much faster will you drive with the PPC? How much more often will you be braking from higher speeds? Those are the questions only you can answer.

Not that the big brake systems do not work as advertised (most of the time). I myself run a brembo setup on my Alfa. However, on the Vector/Aero (which I drive totally stock) - these bigger systems are certainly not required for street use. I have driven my car through multiple linked 110mph/40mph combos, and the brakes have never been close to fading. They are a very powerful setup, if not quite as smooth and progressive as I might wish.

All 210hp models in the USA use the same brakes.

Larakin
11-04-04, 08:31 AM
I dont have the PPC (yet). Bu t I really dont think that the brakes will need to be upgraded just for the ppc. The amount of time Ive spent on the track in my arc proves to me just how good the stock brakes are. the 2000 and 2003 National ProSolo Champion Autocross drivers both drove my car last week and both of them had the same comment, they had a bit of trouble getting all of the power to the ground with the FWD, and WOW Great Brakes!!!

JFK-USAF
11-04-04, 05:27 PM
When you convert from Linear rotors to Aero rotors do you need to switch calipers?

nestoraero
12-04-04, 03:16 PM
When you convert from Linear rotors to Aero rotors do you need to switch calipers?

I think so...comparing my calipers and my friends 175hp arc,they are much smaller,so it seems impossible to use the same calipers .... :roll: