4th June 2004 Drivers school @ Beaver run, PA [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 4th June 2004 Drivers school @ Beaver run, PA

GM
07-04-04, 11:27 PM
this school is hostred by the national prelude club however this school is now open to anyone. So far we have 3 saabs signed up & hopefully a few more of you will. If interested follow the link below for more info &/or pm me for any questions.

http://www.nationalpreludemeet.com/registered.htm

DeLorean
08-04-04, 12:32 AM
highly interested! Can you post any more info on it? Too late, already paid and signed up :lol: see you there! :cheesy:

GM
08-04-04, 08:43 PM
SWEET! What car do you have? Any mods?

Presently we have a viggen, 9K aero & my SPG

Tweek's Turbos
08-04-04, 09:27 PM
What part of the state is Beaver Run? I think I will tag along too. :cheesy:

GM
08-04-04, 09:46 PM
Beaver run is just north of Pittsburg

http://www.beaverun.com/

DeLorean
08-04-04, 11:52 PM
probably closer to you then it is to me Tweeks. It's about... ooh, 5 hrs away. not too bad. BTW, I have an 88 saab 900. you will find out if I have any mods once we are on the track :cheesy:

AndyJ
09-04-04, 09:06 AM
2 months away & the smack talk begins :D

Tweek's Turbos
09-04-04, 09:48 AM
BTW, I have an 88 saab 900. you will find out if I have any mods once we are on the track :cheesy:

Palease :roll:

GM
09-04-04, 05:08 PM
probably closer to you then it is to me Tweeks. It's about... ooh, 5 hrs away. not too bad. BTW, I have an 88 saab 900. you will find out if I have any mods once we are on the track :cheesy:

It's 5-6 hrs for me as well

& yea... my SPG is stock to :o

this is going to be so much fun!!!

DeLorean
09-04-04, 08:06 PM
cool, looking foward to it! :D

AndyJ
10-04-04, 10:18 PM
So we're up to four now? They haven't updated the list since I registered on the 3rd. My car is almost stock. I keep finding new maintenance stuff to spend money on rather than Konis, springs and sway bars :cry: . Will be adding real tires next week, though.

DeLorean
10-04-04, 10:21 PM
they have not updated since I regestered either, so what does that make? 5? I have got a list of stuff my SPG is going to need before I do this, I may or may not have time to do a few other upgrades, but the main things I know I am going to need is tires and lower ball joints (they have just enough play so they make noise on bumps). the trans I have I do not trust (GM 45714 from a 94 vert with a lot of miles) so I may swap that before hand too. all depends on if I have a full weekend off or not.

GM
10-04-04, 11:14 PM
AndyJ is listed on the form from what I see

So far it looks like Andy, Steve, Delorean (not sure your name) & Gary (Troll-me) thus I think it's still 4

1 Viggen -- If he gets a new motor in time??
1 9000 aero
2 C900's both 1988's

my car is almost ready, hopefully be finished by the end of the week

AndyJ
11-04-04, 10:44 AM
I'm hoping to have the car running by next week two. Fortunately pulling the inner driver only took 2 hours, rather than 3 days like on my other car :o .
Is Steve's engine toast, then? I saw a post the other day that he hadn't brought it back to the dealer yet.

GM
11-04-04, 11:50 AM
I am not relly sure what's going on with his engine but usually when you have symptoms like he described it's due to a hole in a piston :(

SteveL
11-04-04, 06:11 PM
Well, I had it towed to the dealer last night, I will call them Monday morning to tell them what's up.

Not sure what the outlook will be after that. If its a rebuild or new engine, it may be a while b4 I get it back :cry:

Tweek's Turbos
16-04-04, 09:10 AM
I just pmed one of the mods on that board. I plan on registering Wed. But I read something dated Feb 11th non lude registration was closed for paypall. I plan on using my mastercard.
(edit) he said it was fine, Fast reply he did.

Anyhow. I need to find a helmet. Anybody know any good sights? Jegs? And does anybody know what the tech inspection will look like?

AndyJ
16-04-04, 10:03 AM
They re-opened registration to non-preludes on 4/1, so it shouldn't be a problem to get in, unless its filled up now. I bought my helmet (G Force GF750) from SoloRacer.com. Brett, the owner, is also a local autocrosser (NeOhio), so I went to him. Seems like the least expensive SA2000 out there, and others who have them, like them. There are many places out there that sell the same helmet for $150. You could also try discoveryparts.com, or racerwholesale.com.

No idea about tech yet, maybe GM or Steve can add some insight, since they've done this sort of thing before.

What kind of car do you have?

DeLorean
16-04-04, 10:10 AM
I would check ebay for that helmet. If you plan of ever going to any more track meets, it's something you will need anyway... Also, I think the tech inspection is going to be similar to what they do when you autocross. from what I have seen, it's a check of the suspension (they will physically get down and SHAKE each wheel checking for obviously loose suspension components. they check your tires and EVERYTHING inside the car. you can't have junk sitting around that is going to fly about while racing. basically everything that's not bolted down like the spair tire and jack, has got to go. So that is what they do for auto crossing, and I think that's basically what they are going to do here. check the prelude forum if you want more info on this.

AndyJ
16-04-04, 06:35 PM
Not sure if I'd trust my head to Ebay, with some of the experiences I've had lately :o . Seriously, though, just make sure you get an SA rated helmet, not M. It would be a bummer for you to get there with the wrong helmet and lose the chance to humiliate ricers!

GM
16-04-04, 06:43 PM
SWEET, I can't wait guys!!! Looking forward to meeting other saab freaks at this drivers school!! Going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!!

With the tech session it's like Delorean states, usually it's about a 1-5 minute process where the look over your car to be sure nothing is or can fall of as well as being sure your spare tire is secure or removed as well as sometimes the + terminal on the battery is duct-taped to the car. They ask a few questions about what service has been done to the car & usually check out the wheel hubs to be sure there is zero play. Usually it's pretty laid back & it seems like they are usually more interested in asking about the car then doing a strict inspection. Since it's a prelude meet I have no clue how strict they will be :)

If you guys have never done this I would advise the following

change/bleed brake fluid -- a must!!!!
if pads are less then 1/2 either replace or bring a spare
change motor oil
I usually change trans oil as well prior to event

I will be bringing my suburban up so my car will be in tow. Thus I will bring floor jack, jack stands, torque wrench, tools, window cleaning stuff & about everything else that's needed incase someone or myself has car trouble.

I can't wait!!!

Tweek's Turbos
16-04-04, 07:51 PM
I have a 95 900SE with some healthy mods.

I have no idea if I will have a bumper on the car yet or not. I have the beam, but not the skins. Do you think that will be an issue?

GM
17-04-04, 03:26 PM
I do not think it would be a issue as long as nothing is loose. I doubt you will have any problems!

HAve you done any suspension mods?

Tweek's Turbos
17-04-04, 03:52 PM
A few,
22mm Rear sway bar
24mm Front sway bar
Poly front bushings
EBC pads, Zimmerman Xdrilled rotors.
Potenza S0-3s on stock viking shields.
:cheesy:

DeLorean
27-05-04, 11:55 PM
So we are coming right up here! how's it looking for everyone?

AndyJ
28-05-04, 09:34 PM
Working on my JT system now- man I hate taking apart 100k cars! Everything's frozen/rusted etc. I wish I either lived in AZ, where there is no rust, or that people in the rust belt would take their cars apart & slather anti-seize on everything like I did on my old car :D . I just got a set of springs & Koni's but unless I get fired tomorrow I won't have time to put them on before next weekend.
Oh if anyone's going out Thursday, there's an autocross test & tune starting at 5ish at the track. $20, as many runs as you can fit in, and you get to do parade laps at 6ish usually.

SteveL
02-06-04, 11:18 PM
I got porterfield race pads to bring with me, so hopefully no surprises like the last track day I did at summit pt 2 weeks ago.

See you guys there, this is gonna be lots of fun.

Anybody gonna be around thursday night for a beer or 2 or 3?

Send me an email if so. Not sure what time I'll make it up there, 9pm or so I'm guessing.

-Steve