PPC upgrade in for 3 days now.....very nice. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: PPC upgrade in for 3 days now.....very nice.

9.3 Joe
07-04-04, 11:41 AM
I have a 2004 Arc convertible with 5 speed manual and 2.0T motor here in sunny California. I loaded up the PPC and also installed the ITG filter. The car is really a blast to drive. I feel turbo lag is same as before the upgrade since the turbo kicks in at about the same rpm as before but it kicks much stronger. Since I have a 5 speed and not the 6 speed I get very little wheel spin in first or second. My drivuig style is more about pushing the car in the 30 to 90 mph range as caring much about 0 - 60 mph range, although I am sure 0-60 is vastly improved. But the real blast is rolling along at 30 and downshifting into second and pushing hard thru 3,4, 5th. or going 55 and downshifting into third. Fourth gear pulls like third used to and 5th gear pulls like 4th used to. The increased torque is excellent and very usefull. The car gets up to speed very fast now. In all honesty the car is not quite as balanced as it used to be. The brakes are not strong enough on this car now. I am not sure if the Arc has the same brakes as the Aero. The Arc does not have the sport suspension and at 60 - 70 mph on tighter freway turns I can feel a fair amount of roll and oversteer. Since the convertible is heavier than the SS these isues are most likely magnified. I am coming from a Audi A4 with a chip and it seemed to be more balanced after the chip, but it had a sport suspension and all wheel drive. Having power at 4 corners was really nice. That is what their quattro is about, not driving in snow. I hope Saab does this soon. All in all this is a mandatory upgrade to a fine automobile. The sound of the turbo is a bit alarming when it is pushed real hard, not quite a whine but some other noise I can't describe. Not a huge increase in whoosh with the ITG, even with the top down. For those in Los Angeles I am giving rides for 50 cents (LOL).

Saba
07-04-04, 11:46 AM
I have the 2.0t (5 speed manual) with the PPC. Yep I would agree with you about the change in the pull through the gears. I thought it was a bit unbalanced as well, but I have 16" and no sports suspension. Something to look into I think.

9.3 Joe
07-04-04, 11:48 AM
I have the 5 spoke 17" upgrade on my car. The wheels came with Conti Contact 2 which I had an my A4 and liked. I was thinking of raising the ar pressure to 40 psi or so and see how that works.

mjwells
07-04-04, 06:43 PM
Hi,

I have heard directly from BSR that the noise is the throttle assembly, not the turbo. My PPC'd Aero does it too by the way.

Anyone qualified to elaborate on this nugget of information?

Cheers
Michael

9.3 Joe
07-04-04, 07:06 PM
I am not surprised by that info. Because it does not sound like a high pitch sound of the turbo spooling up. At some point I am just trying to forget thinking about all the issues, sounds etc. and just enjoy the darn car. Put down the top and go!

SS
11-04-04, 01:22 AM
Can anyone try this simple thing and tell me what you hear. Keep your door open and turn off the engine in a quiet area, preferebly at night and when the engine shuts off completely, you might notice that there is this weird noice, like rattling and cracking. I dont know if its normal, but if anyone can do this little experiment and report back with results, i would really appreciate it!!!

nestoraero
11-04-04, 03:25 AM
Can anyone try this simple thing and tell me what you hear. Keep your door open and turn off the engine in a quiet area, preferebly at night and when the engine shuts off completely, you might notice that there is this weird noice, like rattling and cracking. I dont know if its normal, but if anyone can do this little experiment and report back with results, i would really appreciate it!!!

I think it's normal.
I hear these noises every night when I park the car in my garage.
I think it's the noise from all these hot metal parts,that are starting to cool down..
No need to worry.... :D :D

SS
11-04-04, 04:42 AM
Good to hear that someone else is experiencing these noises. At least now i know i aint crazy :cheesy:

9.3 Joe
11-04-04, 10:28 AM
I have heard that also when parking in the garage. I beleive it is the exhaust/engine starting to cool and as that happens it starts to shrink as it gets cooler?

orion7144
12-04-04, 04:25 AM
It is the catalytic converter cooling down.