PPC/Aero - video [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: PPC/Aero - video

mjwells
1st April 2004, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

Here's a video of a 20mph to 100mph run on an airfield track, as promised! It's shows the speedo climbing at quite a rate. :-)

http://www.thirdlightphotography.com/ppc/ppc_aero.avi

The run started in 2nd and ended in 5th. You can see on the turbo that the car is working flat out except for quick gear changes (well, as fast as I could do). Sorry it's a bit shaky. My intrepid camera man was doing his best - it wasn't as level as we'd like.

Requires DivX (EDIT: do not download a spyware version though!).

Cheers
Michael

CallipNCSUsaab
1st April 2004, 10:28 AM
awesome man, everyone with the ppc needs to be making these type posts!!

I have a number of videos of my car.. makes for interesting comparison!

Simon
1st April 2004, 11:10 AM
Michael, you should bring your car to the Elvington track day!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20989&start=0

:D

TheKomoman
1st April 2004, 11:13 AM
Just an informational post for anyone installing DivX from that link....

The Adware part of that EXE is real. That will install Gator. It is an ad delivery system that will create pop-up ads on your computer, slow your system performance and generally drive you insane. Every spyware cleaner app out there considers Gator to be spyware and it is enemy #1 in this Geek's book. I'm sick to death of spending time cleaning it out of the computers of my friends, family and employees and friends of all of the above.

It could very well be that DivX is still functional if you let it install Gator and then clean it out, I don't know.

From what I know of it DivX is an outstanding codec but it ain't worth dealing with that piece of.... stuff Gator.

One man's less-than-humble opinion! :lol:

M4Gunner
1st April 2004, 11:18 AM
gator IS the antichrist! :evil: :evil: :evil: 666 :evil: :evil: :evil:

CallipNCSUsaab
1st April 2004, 11:18 AM
gator = the worst ever.

mjwells
1st April 2004, 11:31 AM
Just an informational post for anyone installing DivX from that link....

The Adware part of that EXE is real. That will install Gator. It is an ad delivery system that will create pop-up ads on your computer, slow your system performance and generally drive you insane. Every spyware cleaner app out there considers Gator to be spyware and it is enemy #1 in this Geek's book. I'm sick to death of spending time cleaning it out of the computers of my friends, family and employees and friends of all of the above.

It could very well be that DivX is still functional if you let it install Gator and then clean it out, I don't know.

From what I know of it DivX is an outstanding codec but it ain't worth dealing with that piece of.... stuff Gator.

One man's less-than-humble opinion! :lol:

Sorry, I had no idea! Don't click the link I provided, unless you know how to remove Gator.

Update: http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ links you to AdWare, which successfully removes the problem software. I apologise again if anyone else has been affected (as I was!) :-(. AdWare takes a few minutes to remove it, and other spyware or tracking cookies.

M

nestoraero
1st April 2004, 11:51 AM
Nice video!!
The only thing is that it's dificult to see the exact place of the needle from the side...but ok...we get the idea.. :wink:

jcancio
1st April 2004, 10:32 PM
Hi Michael...
I was wondering if your Aero is a 6 speed or auto?
Also, how were the revs when you were the doing the 20-100mph run. I'm actually interested in finding if the rpm's
need to be high to get that kind of acceleration. I noticed
though that you never hit the 5500 rpm mark on the video..
is that right? I guess you don't really need to crank it up that high when the torque falls around 5k rpm.

Thanks.

mjwells
2nd April 2004, 02:56 AM
Hi Michael...
I was wondering if your Aero is a 6 speed or auto?
Also, how were the revs when you were the doing the 20-100mph run. I'm actually interested in finding if the rpm's
need to be high to get that kind of acceleration. I noticed
though that you never hit the 5500 rpm mark on the video..
is that right? I guess you don't really need to crank it up that high when the torque falls around 5k rpm.

Thanks.

Hi,

It's a 6 speed manual. I didn't get to higher revs because, instinctively it didn't feel like it would help. I changed gear when it felt natural. This may be an imperfect technique though. The torque is all very low down, which is why I did it. I could have removed one gear shift though, which would have got a better "time". :)

It is very satisfying to overtake someone without really making the engine scream. Bravo Saab!

Cheers
Michael

SS
3rd April 2004, 05:42 PM
It is very satisfying to overtake someone without really making the engine scream. Bravo Saab!

Thats why I love it. Using ur own words, you can overtake without making the engine scream. A lot of power, but u dont really need to use it all!!! :cheesy: