New cat back for SS [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New cat back for SS

GenSaab
31st March 2004, 02:52 PM
New stainless catback available

http://www.genuinesaab.com/cat/063.jpg

More Details (http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=B63)

Nick Taliaferro
SaabCentral Site Sponsor!

Vector-SS
31st March 2004, 03:13 PM
any info on any hp gains? What make is this exhaust? i like the oval look on it :)

finklejag
31st March 2004, 04:30 PM
Is this the new BSR Nick?

Edit...Just checked. Yes it is. It shows it has a 70x140mm tip. I wonder why they didn't use the standard 90x120mm SAAB oval size?

Cayman1
31st March 2004, 04:33 PM
Very nice!

love the tip, i'm tired of seeing the double round tips on just about every car.

joshd2012
31st March 2004, 04:47 PM
*DROOL*

That is one sweet looking exhuast. I checked the ********** website and saw that it is 2.5" diameter. Very nice. Is this the BSR exhaust? I can't find it on the BSR site.

Vector-SS
31st March 2004, 04:55 PM
I totally agree Cayman 1

Vector-SS
31st March 2004, 05:07 PM
If you guys check out the **********.se project cars (SS3), they posted a new picture up of a 04 convertible with dual exhausts ( as in one on each side). I think its the same exhaust Nick just put up the picture for.

moz
31st March 2004, 05:29 PM
Hmm, what is this PPC Stage 2? just a software update to the existing PPC to make use of the cat-back?

Saba
31st March 2004, 06:58 PM
Hmm, what is this PPC Stage 2? just a software update to the existing PPC to make use of the cat-back?PPC Stage 2 is identical to PPC stage 1 except for the catback. The software is the same.

nestoraero
31st March 2004, 07:03 PM
Same question for me....
I thought that there was no ppc update needed for using it with a catback exaust.... :roll:

Beside this,the exaust from bsr for the aero,is what I've been waiting for... :wink:
Now a set of ppc/cat-back is not far away.... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

GenSaab
31st March 2004, 07:05 PM
We are offering package price to all existing customers that have previously purchased PPC from Taliaferro. Price would be in addition to the PPC. Same PPC software for stage 1 and 2.

The tip looks nice. Fits the cutout. These days seems like all the VW have dual round tips...

nestoraero
31st March 2004, 07:16 PM
What about customers that never owned a SAAB before...any package price for them????..... :D :D :D

M4Gunner
1st April 2004, 02:02 AM
hey nick, i see that they make this exhaust for ***pers w/o the cut out. any pics of a linear w/ this exhaust?

finklejag
1st April 2004, 02:06 AM
This is how it will look on a Linear or Arc.

http://www.**********.se/proj/ss3_avgas.jpg

moz
1st April 2004, 02:42 AM
I want to see the underside of that car with the 2 exhausts :D

M4Gunner
1st April 2004, 04:10 AM
thats PUUURRDY!! lol, almost worth NOT doing a Aero body kit, or at least in the back. do we kno wyet what kind of performance that would add to a linear? and where do i find that exhaust?

nestoraero
1st April 2004, 04:19 AM
This is from ********** ss1 project

http://www.**********.se/proj/ss1_dubbelror.jpg

I would prefer it with 2 cut outs.. :wink:

I really like these foglights:

http://www.**********.se/proj/dimljus_ss1.jpg

Any ideas how can I get them,or how much do these things cost???? :roll:

Reds 9-3
1st April 2004, 10:55 AM
We are offering package price to all existing customers that have previously purchased PPC from Taliaferro. Price would be in addition to the PPC. Same PPC software for stage 1 and 2.

The tip looks nice. Fits the cutout. These days seems like all the VW have dual round tips...Nick will that dual exhaust fit an `03 Linear, and can we get a dual decor/cut-out kit. Dual exhausts would look killer on the 9-3 SS. Please let me know, and I am also interested in those fog-lights.

joshd2012
1st April 2004, 11:12 AM
Dual exhaust will not increase performance and will add weight to the car :nono;

Have we confirmed that this is the BSR exhaust? I see this exhaust on ********** but not on BSR website. Is this a ********** exhaust?

M4Gunner
1st April 2004, 12:12 PM
[quote="joshd2012"]Dual exhaust will not increase performance and will add weight to the car :nono; quote]

i dont mean for this to come out wrong, but how do you know it wont add performance? weight, yes. but depending on the way the exhaust flows, it may boost performance enough to make it worth while. as far as the weight goes... unless your racing your car, which i dont think any of us are just yet :wink: the extra weight doesnt really matter, just dont eat that next cheesburger! i used to race motorcycles, and yes, every oz. counts. but IMHO 20-30 even 50 pounds doesnt matter on a car. not enough to make a difference to the driver.

finklejag
1st April 2004, 01:36 PM
Dual exhaust will not increase performance and will add weight to the car :nono;

Have we confirmed that this is the BSR exhaust? I see this exhaust on ********** but not on BSR website. Is this a ********** exhaust?

Look at my post above. It is a BSR and it is on their site.

A dual exhaust on a 4 banger is worthless. It is not even a dual exhaust, its just a dual muffler.

joshd2012
1st April 2004, 06:01 PM
A dual exhaust on a 4 banger is worthless. It is not even a dual exhaust, its just a dual muffler.

I'm going to correct that, sort of. A dual exhaust would work on a 4 cylinder boxer engine (as used by Subaru, Mini, Porshe, etc.) but not on an inline 4 like we Saabers have.

Cayman1
1st April 2004, 06:08 PM
A mini is an inline 4 and so is any porsche 4 cylinder.

moz
1st April 2004, 06:13 PM
What finkle was saying was that performance gains would be next to negligible let alone not worth the extra weight.

Whether it can 'work' with the car is a different matter altogether - anything is possible

joshd2012
1st April 2004, 06:29 PM
A mini is an inline 4 and so is any porsche 4 cylinder.

It may have no been clear, but I meant Boxer style engine, which Porsche does use and I could have sworn Mini uses. I guess not.

oslowley
3rd April 2004, 02:54 PM
So is there a horsepower gain or not, if this is just a ***per garnish i'll pass if it yields some hp I will be ordering.

joshd2012
3rd April 2004, 03:34 PM
So is there a horsepower gain or not, if this is just a ***per garnish i'll pass if it yields some hp I will be ordering.

It is really hard to say for certain, but most likely there will be no HP gain. The only application I can see using a dual exhuast on a 4 cyl is if it is opposing cylinders (like as used by Subaru) or if you want to run twin turbos. Otherwise, it is just used as eye candy.

There is some dispute as to how big an exhaust system has to be before all performance gains are lost. Some say that a 2.5" system will be sufficient up to 350HP while others claim more gains from a 3" system. Either way, if you go any bigger than 3", there are no performance gains.

So lets assume that you decide to go with the 3" system. If you then decide to move towards a dual exhaust system, it would split after the down pipe. So, if the area of the cross-sections of both pipes is more than 3", you have no increased performance gains. Time for some math:

3" exhaust has a radius of 1.5"
1.5 x 1.5 x 3.14 = ~7
7/2 = 3.5
3.5/3.14 = 1.1
sqrt(1.1) = ~1"
Radius of 1" = 2" exhaust

So, if you ran about 2" dual exhaust, it would be the same as running a 3" pipe all the way back, except you would have more weight. Any bigger than that, would be excessive and just be more weight with no peformance gains. So if the dual exhaust system is bigger than 2", you are really losing on the deal.

RED
7th April 2004, 03:41 AM
I can provide a "real world" comparison for dual exhaust vs. single exhaust on turbocharged inline 4's. I own a 1986 Mustang SVO. The next paragraph is a background for those not familiar with the car - so if you know it well, you can skip ahead.

Ford's Special Vehicle Operations developed the Mustang SVO as IMSA Mustang race cars. Mustang SVO Prototypes were raced in the 24-hours at Nelson Ledges. Production SVOs are today still raced at tracks across the country in both "street" and "competition prep" models. In 1985-1/2 and 1986, the 2950 lb. vehicle, with a port fuel-injected, turbocharged and intercooled, 4 cylinder inline engine produced 205 bhp at 5000 rpm, and generated 240 lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. These were expensive, limited production cars; the SVO had more go-fast goodies from the factory than most dedicated speed freaks will ever do custom! A small sampling: ground-up redesign of the front suspension geometry with forged a-arms, completely revised rear suspension, adjustable koni shocks, limited-slip, VR50-series rubber, SVO-unique 4-wheel discs, yada yada yada. All this in 1986! But what concerns us here is the exhaust system.

1984-1985 have a single exhaust.
1985.5 - 1986 Dual exhaust; just aft of the converter it has a y-pipe and then it becomes duals. The dual portion is about 75% of the total length.

Why the change? The stock duals do support more power than the stock single. But the debate continues, because the SVO is one focus-point of that small, rabid group known as 2.3l TurboFord speed freaks. You want to learn about turbo performance? Go here:

http://www.turboford.org/index.shtml

Since this engine has been documented at 400hp in streetable form, and over 600 hp on the track, the debate on single vs. duals continues with big-pipe aftermarket systems.

Aftermarket Short Story - a properly made custom single 3 inch will support the same 400hp as an off-the-shelf aftermarket dual 2.5 inch, and weigh about 20 lbs less. This is the system you will see most often on dedicated track cars, because it's lighter and that is all that matters! Also, the most extreme modified street cars tend to favor singles by a thin margin. Hey, it's one more thing to change, right? And the early SVO owners usually prefer to keep the car looking stock.

Duals are favored by owners of later cars (again, to retain the stock look in a larger diameter), or by those who prefer the more mellow tone (relatively speaking!), the uncompromised ground clearance, the nastier "look", and off-the-shelf aftermarket components.

I show my car, so I keep it looking very original. It isn't, though. With very modest modifications, all external to the engine, it ran 235hp and 285ftlbs the last time on the dyno. I can easily get to 260hp on race gas and more boost, but I am taking it easy on the dear girl - you see, at 80,000 miles (a big chunk of it on the race track), the engine has never had any internal work done at all. 8) After I rebuild the head (and I keep putting this off because there is nothing actually wrong with it!), I'll make a few more minor changes and dial it in for 250hp on 92 octane.

Sebex
3rd October 2004, 10:01 PM
The foglights are custom built. The lights costs 100 euros a pair and then you will have to make the rest yourselve.